Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2003 4:47:58 PM EDT
Gentlemen,

Given that the M-14 is still in use in the military for certain mission profiles, and given that it was designed for the use of grease as lubrication on the bolt, receiver and operating rod (at least that is what my old armorer always said).......

What 'modern' grease type lubricants have proven to be desirable/optimal in the field?

I have searched the various groups within this forum and seen where TW25B has been recommended for other weapon systems. Is it too 'thin' to be used as a true grease on the M-14/M1A?

I use TW25B on handguns and sometmies on the CAR-15, but it seems to be pretty thin especially after it has setup for a while.

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:22:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not in the military.  I have a select fire NFA registered Springfield Armory M1A that I shoot in the desert in automatic.  I grease it with Slick 50 One Grease (TM).  I like it better than the M1 Garand grease.  It seems to cycle smoother in the action and doesn't collect carbon residue as much.  FWIW
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#2]
B-H,
Check out a lub called "Pro-Gold" which you may find at a local smith.  This stuff was highly recommended by the smith I use and it's used mostly by trap/clay shooters on their top of the line hinged guns.  It's operating range is from 0-450f degrees and seems to hold up good.  Cost about $4.00 per 2 oz, and a little goes a long way.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:56:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Lubriplate was the exotic grease of the late 1930s and is what was originally used on the M1 Rifle.  No need to use 70 year old technology.

I use CLP for "rifle oil" and Tetra grease for "rifle grease" on my M1s and M14s.  Doesn't take much of either.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:38:10 AM EDT
[#4]
the M14 is one hell of a rifle.  just about anything will work and keep it running.  don't over think your choice.  it doesn't even have to be clean to be reliable.  axle grease or any automotive grease will work.  as was said CLP works fine, regular 80 wt. gear oil works.

you can buy some expensive shit but plain old 40 wt motor oil will do fine.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:36:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Even in the period before 1960 weapons lubricants were more than merely motor oil or grease, although they can be used as field expedients if necessary.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:45:42 AM EDT
[#6]
i am not debating the govt considers my above statement to be field expedient.  the government is always thinking of new ways to fleece the tax payer.   but in the case of the M1A and M1 Garand simple "cheap" lubricants work well.  a rifle is just a machine like a sewing machine or a car.  it has moving metal parts that get hot and it needs to be lubricated.  the M1A is designed and will work with plain old oil...  and nothing special is required.  why spend $10.00 for a 8 oz bottle of oil when you can buy oil that works for $1.50 a quart?  
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:34:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm with Different, I've been using Slick 50 one grease on my M1a and M1. Inexpensive and works exceptionably well.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:38:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:04:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Tetra grease for mine.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:52:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks everybody for the replys.

Anyone using TW25B as a lubricant specifically; and if so, what are the impressions?  If Tetra Grease works, I would think TW25B would as well.

I like it a lot on other weapons, and hate to add another 'lubricant/grease' if I don't need too.  Already using CLP and TW25B.  Used to use a red synthetic grease on my M1A, but that just ran out and no sense in dupicating if it's not required.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess I'm cheap...
I use the free sample grease from MILTEC
www.militec-1.com/
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been using the GI grease in the 2cc vials on my M1A's and Garands and Carbines and Break Free on my AR's
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok I have this big tub of grease that is for breaking in of Camshafts, It heavily MSO2 laiden and work great on everything so I use it on everything, try not to get in your hands as it takes a few days to wash out. I think it;s from Competition cams or Crane cams. Ok can anybody guess what one of my other hobbies is?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top