Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2003 10:31:10 PM EDT
Ive been thinking about buying a rifle in 7.62 for some long(er) range shooting and was thinking M1A from Springfield Armory Inc. So Ive been doing a little research and it seems that SA is having some huge quality control problems. Now about 3-4 years ago when I handled one of these things last it was a great gun, I mean just beautiful and it worked perfectly and now I wonder just how good the new production ones are.

So what Im asking is has anyone bought a SA M1A in the last couple years and if so how good is it?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:19:07 AM EDT
[#1]
bought one a few months back

SA M1A Loaded

not one goddamn problem..

i have 3300 invested in it

this is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:41:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Go ahead and buy the M-1A with confidence.  The reports of some problems are generally overblown, as you usually hear only the bad things on the net.

Having said that, there are some rifles out there that Springfield shouldn't have let go, but they do have a lifetime warranty and do take care of their customers.

I have a pre-ban circa 1993, and my father just picked up a new M-1A post ban and the quality looks pretty much identacle.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:29:38 AM EDT
[#3]
What Templar said.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I just bought a standard model about two months ago and have had no problems.  The models I heard Springfield was having problems with were the SS barrelled match rifles.  Even with the problems, they are very good about honoring their lifetime warranty.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine is a thing of beauty!
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 9:35:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had my SA M1A for nearly a year.  I've put only a few hundred rounds through it but have had no malfunctions.  I've shot some of that crappy Greek ammo and still, not prob.  

The only thing is that the rifle isn't as accurate as it should be considering what SA sells it for.  True, it's a battle rifle made up of surplus M-14 parts (mine has G.I. barrel, but it's still grossly over priced.  With Federal Gold Medal I can shoot about 2 M.O.A. with the Springfield 6x power scope.  I've shot a few lucky 1 M.O.A. groups, but on average, I'd say it's a 2 M.O.A. gun.  

Now you can make any M1A shoot 1/2 M.O.A., but you'd better be ready to pay through the ass.  Plus, you will have made so many accurizing modifications (glass bedding, McMillan fiberglass stock, premium barrel, unitized gas system) that the rifle won't really be a battle rifle anymore.  It will be a match grade competition rifle.  Hardly anything you would want to use for high volume battle training.  

junior223

Better to buy lots of guns and be poor than to have no guns and be dead.  

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Im not gonna do any precision shooting. Hitting a watermelon at 300-400 yds is good enough for me.

Thanks all for the info though.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I love my M1A.  And I agree, its a 2 MOA, If I want to shoot dimes, I shoot my AR.  SA Loaded, NM sights, glass bedded stock.  Love it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a M1A loaded model. Probably put about 600rds through it with no problem. No unusual wear either.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I have had about 6 over the years and only one had to go back due to a bad bolt. Had it back in less than 2 weeks. The bolt was not properly formed at the rear and would not reengage the hammer to the sear.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:33:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine shoots about the same 1.5 to 2 inch accuracy.Thats plenty for a battle rifle.

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey all,
      I've got 2 prebans that shoot perfect (with all USGI parts).I also have friends with earlier models (1-2 years old) that also shoot good.I think that the problems some guys may be having are with the commercial made parts (bolts blowing up-I have seen this myself).Most are changing to USGI parts for longevity reasons.The only other problem I'm aware of is the bush rifle not cycling because the gas port is to small.
Just my 2C
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#13]
 My oldest one has never had an issue...my Scout Squad came with a groove machined into the chamber when a chip broke free from the reamer....Springfield installed it anyway....since the groove was near the neck of the chamber it was NOT easy to diagnose why the hell I kept breaking extractors....did finally figure it out.

If you buy Springfield be forwarned they COULD CARE LESS ABOUT QUALITY CONTROL.  Now, the decent news is they are very nice folks over the phone and are very accomodating about their warranty work.  As to whether they actually fix your gun or not is a toss up. As for my Scout, they did a very nice job of rebarreling it.

You are taking your chances.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 2:11:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for that info.

Just a question, are you the desertmoon from M96.org?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought my SA M1A 9822 a few weeks ago having carried one in and after Vietnam and it's a real tack driver still as always. Not a single issue to be found anywhere on it. Check out the Boston Gun Bible by the "Boston Tea Party" they do it just as well. It's the best battle rifle still out.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought an M1A about a month ago. I finally got a chance to shoot it over Memorial weekend.
Mine is a "loaded" model with a SS barrel. So far it has functioned flawlessly on Port ammo.
I LOVE IT!!
Jim
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:04:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Buy it and switch to all USGI parts, you will never look back.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:15:41 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a M1A "Loaded", what parts are NOT USGI?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Most of them probably.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Everyone I know who has commercial parts in them (M1A) say they change the trigger group,op-rod and bolt.

The bolt should headspace correctly with guages.A gunsmith familiar with this rifle should be able to do that for you.

If you can't find someone,you may have to ask around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top