Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2003 3:51:19 AM EDT
I used to shoot in the national matches with an M-1A (NM Grade)  I no longer compete and if I did, I'd use a mousegun anyway.  I've been thinking about making the old M-1A into something I'll have more fun at the range with.

I can't decide wether to put a new kreiger barrel on it and drop it in a McMillan A-3 stock (a la M-25 Carlos Hathcock edition)

or whether I should put it in a lighter-weight stock and make it more of a "field" rifle.

Any opinions?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:25:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Scout barrel, folding stock, Smith scope mount, Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:15:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Art --

Pre-ban and/or match setup will still have a premium if you sell it.  You can buy an already build Bush length and probably have money in your pocket.  Conversion will cost you a fair amount.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:23:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I'm not really interested in converting it into a bush rifle.  

Accuracy is still of utmost importance, that's one of the benefits of the M-1A over say...an FAL.  

Resale isn't really top on the list since I don't plan on selling any time soon.

I like the McMillan A-3 stock setup, but then I'm looking at a heavy piece of machinery to lug around.  

A lighter weight "field" rifle (with match barrel and trigger) should still afford me excellent accuracy but have the benefit of lighter handling.

I wish Hogue made an aluminum skeleton, rubber-overmolded M-1A stock in a semi-competition/sporter profile.   The choice would be too easy then.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:39:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Artifex,

Please check out our website.www.troyind.com/

http://www.troyind.com/images/deployment%20case.jpg

Our latest conversion is 8.25# and fires Sub-MOA groups.  Customer's conversions are set to ship this coming week and new pictures are forthcoming.

Best Regards,

Troy Industries
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Troy, That is the neatest M14 I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Tubby,

We are in production and would love to convert your preban M1A.  We use match grade 5R barrels, and a special gas sytem that improves accuracy as well as allows us to install 12" to 18" barrels. (All NFA rules apply) Please visit our website or e-mail [email protected] for more information.

Best Regards,

Troy Industries
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:27:11 PM EDT
[#7]
WTF is that thing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#8]
ZRH,

That is a very short, very accurate, 8.25#, metal-stocked M14 with iron sites, accessory rails at 3,6,9,&12:00 positions, collapsable stock with adjustable length of pull, and an adjustable cheek rest.

Best Regards,

Troy Industries
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#9]
TroyInd you are also now on my hate list along with KKF.
One pre-ban M1A on its way when funds become available.

Thanks man, I reallllyyy hate you!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:49:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Troyind

Yeah, I've got to admit, that is one mean piece of machinery.

Unfortunately, I'm looking for something in full-length.  Not to mention I'm already on my local sheriff's "wacko" list after getting him to sign for a .22 suppressor.  

Don't you just get sick of that same, stupid question?

"Why do you need a silencer?"

"NEED? Whatever happened to "want?"  When did we become a society constrained to "needs?"  THERE IS NO NEED!  

Want is reason enough where the exercise of rights is concerned.

But I digress...

Do you have anything in a 42 long?  (full length barrel, that is.)

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 12:45:47 AM EDT
[#11]
That stock is sooooooo cooooool.Just when I thought I had everything, someone comes up with something else I gotta have.I already have 2 prebans (1 supermatch and 1 standard).I thought about a folder but nobody had a good folding stock,untill now.Man,now I have to buy another #*@%$#*# preban M1A.Hey,would that stock look O.K. on a bush rifle???????
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 3:28:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Wisper300,

Love to be hated like that!

Artifex,

More things in the works, but right now 18" is as long as we make it.  Plenty of accuracy out to the 500 meter range.  Our carbines don't require a CLEO signature, but our suppressors do.  They are designed to work with our compensator and the same suppressor functions with .22 to .30 cal rounds. Yes, the same can!  The key is in the muzzle brake.

Shepard,

Thanks for the compliment.  We don't sell only a stock; it would not fit anyway (Our stock is too short).  The Rock SOPMOD Commando Carbine(TM)is designed as a Multi-Role Weapons System(TM).  The metal stock, newly redesigned gas system, and match grade barrel are all designed to work together.

Thanks all for the feedback.

Best Regards,

Troy Industries

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Whats the front sight look like?
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:25:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Lumpy,

Have not heard from you in a while.  I trust all is well.  The front sight is a small post built into the top rail channel.  We don't have any good pictures posted.  I'll have some new pictures to post on our site in a few weeks.

Best Regards,

Troy Industries
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Cool,

Id really like to see some pics of the front sight assembly and any non-NFA models.

Im liking this gun more and more everyday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top