Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2003 4:55:05 PM EDT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am taking a Tac Rifle course this Thurs in Sac with TFTT (www.tftt.com) I took combat shotgun last year with Max and had a blast. Great overall class with quality drills and instruction.

I am going to use my M1A std w/ Aimpoint shooting Portagee 7.62 NATO. I'll bring my CAR97 as back up in case I can't swing that big pig around all day.

Here is a quick outline of the course

In the hands of a competent operator, the Rifle is without a doubt the most formidable weapon available. This program covers both long range and close quarter rifle work. The classroom instruction is in-depth and the students are presented with a wide variety of live fire drills and scenarios. Course content includes:

Zeroing the Rifle

Estimating Range

Calling Wind

Engaging Multiple Targets

Speed Reloading

Stoppage Drills

Weapons Retention

Structure Clearing

I'll write up an AAR if anyone is interested. I am also planning to take Optical Rifle and High Risk Environment with him...if there are any medics here, he has a new Combat Medic Course that might be of interest
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:49:38 PM EDT
[#1]
JHP
      Glad to hear you are taking a class with your M1A. They are such cool rifles and everyone brings ARs. Dare to be different right?
Hey man, I think you should just take your M1A and leave the other rifles at home. You know there will be no reliability issues and I'm sure you can handle the extra weight and or the longer balance point.
Anyway, sounds like a great time.
out here
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I took a look at the TFTT web site.  Looks like it would be worthwhile to attend any of their courses.  I'll have to pass on the opportunity for the rifle class as I have no rifles that are legal to possess in California.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:31:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I was in an entry school with one of the TFTT instructors a few months back. The guys last name was Story. If he is any indication of the TFTT cadre I have to say that they must be an outstanding organization.

If anyone out-of-state is interested in attending a class but woried about the CA aw-ban, give the CA Dept of Justice, Firearms division a ring. I spoke with them about out-of-state residents at recognized DCM shoots. They told me that if you legaly own the weapon in your state and bring is soley for competition or class that it is legal under CA law. You just have to leave and take it with you when your done.

Mac10x
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:16:58 AM EDT
[#4]
What a blast. Took Tac Rifle I with TFTT (www.tftt.com) in Sacramento, CA Thursday. My brother and a friend of mine trained with about 8 others. I only brought the M1A

Outstanding class and outstanding value. For 1 day training (class and practical) $130. I used my M1A Std. with whamocamo stock (tricolor)and aimpoint ML2. The bummer is, these guys are old school and would not let me use my sight. So I had to use Irons...we zeroed the rifles, confirmed zero, and began basic shooting positions from a variety of ranges out to 100yrds.

We worked on double taps to the noggin, fast target acquisition, tactical and speed reloading, and finally a combat course of fire that took into account all elements of what we trained on.

Today I am sore as hell, have a nice bruise fromt the 300 or so rounds through my big pig and I have a new appreciation for any soldier that ever fought with an M14. Hell, I have new appreciation for anyone that was deployed to Iraq or any other desert hell hole...it was 95 degrees out there and I was burnt by the end of the day...but I wasn't humping a ruck, wearing a helmet or getting shot at.

Thank you to all who are or have served.

Tobe honest, it was a pig but even when we did standing shots toward the end of the day I was swinging it just fine. It was when it was slung on my shoulder that tiresome.

It was funny to watch my hits on steel blow the target away compared to the 223 just making a little "ting" sound on impact. The 308 is an awesome battle rifle. There were 2 other M1As out there - one std and one scout. My buddy had an AR10...so the 308 was well represented.

The other thing that you never think about was mag weight. I had 6 20 rd mags on my hip...damn....should have worn LBE gear!

I found my shooting to be on the money with irons and I know with my aimpoint I am right on target. I was getting good groups in every phase. The instructor even commented to me on the combat course (3 close range double tap head shots through window) every one was touching in right between the eyes. It was the highlight of my course.

Made me think of using my camelback next time....I was losing fluid big time

BTW - Story gave this class too...top notch instructor

I highly reccommend TFTT...I will not train with anyone else.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, McCarron and JHP.  I'll have to plan taking their Rifle class.  I have a standard M1A with flash suppressor I will use.  I'll bring my LBE and Camelbak too.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:39:15 AM EDT
[#6]
As a general rule always bring 2x the ammount of ammo they suggest and plenty of water

Have fun
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Greetings everyone!

I ended up flying from Florida to attend the Tac 1, 2, and 3 class for pistol during the same time that JHP was there.  It was unbelievable.  If you think you know it all about rifles and/or pistols, I highly recommend attending their classes.  IT WILL KICK YOUR BUTT.  I realized how much I did not know about how to properly handle a pistol.

And oh, by the way, I did not get the “Black Shirt”.  I have to take the test again in a few months.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 11:13:18 AM EDT
[#8]
BigFeet - that is a bummer. Let me know what the Tac 3 test consisted of...I haven't taken those courses yet

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 11:15:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Different,

I think you are confused by the CaliBan laws, as many are, If you are going to a competition or training class, you can bring basically any AW into the Territory.  Keep it in a locked case (yes soft cases count as long as they can be locked) preferably in the trunk of your car. Bring all the mags you want, that is to say plenty, because you never know when you will loose some or many.....

NO AMMO IN THE MAG! Stripper clips are fine.

If there are any questions, Error on the safe side. I'm sure some local cracker could cause lot's of problems through ignorance or being a CaliBan Fanatic.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#10]
JHP,
I highly recommend the classes, especially if you plan on carrying, ever.  They basically went over everything you could imagine.  How to fire with one hand (both weak and strong), reloading, kneeling fire, standing fire, firing from a car, behind a car, etc.  It was extremely motivating and exciting.  I am looking forward to passing the Qualification in a few months, and earning my “Black Shirt”!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top