Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2003 9:51:22 AM EDT
I have iniated myself into the M1 carbine world.  The rifle I bought had no documentation included (i.e. manual).  I am also very new to M1's.  My experience lies mainly with modern military rifles (AR's, H&K, etc.).  What are the must haves (manuals, spare parts, etc.) for a M1 carbine owner?  Recommendations for gunsmiths (Fulton Armory, others) to inspect the rifle?  Recommended web sites with M1 carbine info?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:18:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrads. Im no expert on them but do own one.The Scoot Duff M1 Carbine guide is a great book.$20 from fulton Armory. Don't mess with the gas piston(small button) at all unless your haveing problems.You might clean it with some spray cleaner that evapoates quickly first if you haveing problems.The piston is staked. and don't need to be disturded unless nessary. I would buy a bolt rebuild kit( springs, firing pin, extractor and plunger and ejector.)Just to have them as back up.Grease/ oil her up.Make sure you lube the sliding area where the oprod slides on in front of the reciever.I love mine.Best of luck to ya .WarDawg
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:04:44 AM EDT
[#2]
The extractor is a critical spare part, the M1 Carbine goes thru them rapidly.  Assuming this a genuinne M1 Carbine, other than a good cleaning and lubrication there's little to inspect.  Make sure the bore is clean.

Since the extractor is almost impossible to replace get an extractor tool too.  USGI model is an extra buck and worth it.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:09:22 AM EDT
[#3]
The rifle was assembled by a U.S. Army technician (according to former owner).  He also said that he had put 200 rounds through a new barrel (barrel was shot out when the former owner acquired it).  Do I have to worry about anything like headspace, since it functions.  I am able to get in touch with the former owner to ask further questions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top