Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2003 5:36:51 AM EDT
I would like to get an M1A once I have a few bucks scraped together. My question is how do I get a good quality accurate weapon at a fair price? I know alot of people advocate Springfields, then in the same breath they say "but be careful, Springfield Armory doesn't bother with quality control."

What is the right way to go and if Springfield Armory is, what are the critical components to inspect to insure the one in my hands isn't defective?
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 7:06:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I think one thing that may help you greatly is to read Scott Duff's book on the M1A/M14 before purchase.  Another thing that may help is patience.

Most folks have problems with recently manufactured Springfield Armory M1As because of the lack of USGI parts...since these rifles are no longer produced for the military, the parts stockpiles have been drying up.  As a result, SA has been putting together a lot of rifles with non-USGI parts, and folks say these parts break with normal use.

Look into a preban used rifle, or ones with earlier manufacture.  You'll also want to figure out (before you purchase) if you are just looking to have a nice, military-style rifle, or if you want to use it as a precision shooter (that is, scoped, bedded, the works).

I purchased a standard M1A new in December.  The only non-USGI part I can readily find in the rifle is the hammer.  Everything else seems to be USGI.

Hope this helps,

-Zmeja
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Find a complete U.S.G.I. parts kit. U.S.G.I. parts are the standard by which all M-14 clones are measured. Buy a quality receiver. S.A.Inc., Armscorp or my favorite, a Poly Tech or Norinco (if you can find one). Have the rifle built by an M-14 mechanic with a national reputation for excellent work (you get what you pay for). You won't need a "lifetime warranty". A gunsmith of the quality that I suggest will always warranty his work.

This is how you get it right the first time.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 11:22:36 PM EDT
[#3]
 I am with Sukebe.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget Entreprise Arms M14A2 receivers if your going to have one built up. Entreprise Arms M14A2 receivers are machined from a forged billet, so its stronger than a cast one. According to Ted Brown of Shooter's Den in Oregon, who hangs his hat at Culvers Shooting Page's Garand and M1A forum, the Entreprise Arms receivers only need minor fitting (as do the SA Inc and Arsmcorp receiver as well) to make a very nice M14 type rifle.

I have a 1999 SA Inc "Loaded" M1A that I bought off the rack prior to taking the time to properly edumacate myself. Luckily, despite my impatiance, I ended up with a good rifle with almost all USGI parts that functions flawlessly and shoots bettter than I can. If I had it to do over again, though, I'd probably hold out for a pre-ban SA Inc or get someone like Ted Brown, Ron Smith or Clint Mckee to build me up and M14 type rifle using a Polytech, Norinco, Etreprise Arms, SA Inc or Armscorp receiever - in that order. Problem is, I've never heard of a stripped Chicom receiver for sale, so that leaves the other clones.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks TEA. I forgot about Enterprise. An excellent choice as well.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Any reviews on the LRB recievers?, I understand they are shipping now, That is if they stayed on schedule.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I have yet to hear a report from a reputable gun smith on these receivers. I read some posts regarding out of battery firing at a big shoot the othe week, but LRB claimed that these were caused by rounds coooking off because the rifle was being fired so much. I'd wait til someone like Walter Kulek does a review of them. It would be great if someone comes out with a milspec forged semi-auto only M14 receiver that has BATF approvqal. It took MKS well over a year to iron all the bugs out of their forged receiver, but they failed to get the proper BATF approval for the design, so they all got confiscated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top