Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2003 10:42:52 AM EDT
I believe it is better off shooting an M1A with iron sight. That is what it was designed for. But I wanted to put a scope on it and couldn't determine which scope mount is the best (also affordable). With that scope mount, no gun modification is required and the iron sight is still available.
Can anyone recommend me one. It is better from some mount you have used before.

thanks.
Link Posted: 3/31/2003 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#1]
The Brookfield is the best but good luck finding one.I use the Smith Enterprises mount--it's a clone of the Brookfield.Many people also swear by the ARMS mounts.Just stay away from the Springfield mounts.

www.smithenterprise.com
www.armsmounts.com

Looks like smiths site is down.Try this...
www.arizonagunrunners.com
Link Posted: 3/31/2003 2:42:40 PM EDT
[#2]
The M14 has ejection problems with many scope mounts and empty cases will frequently bounce back into the receiver and cause a stoppage.

Higher mounts seem less prone to this, but make shooting difficult without a high stock pad.  The Smith Enterprise mount is nice and low but occasionally has this problem.  The ejector needs to be modified to change the ejection pattern to clear the mount, but I'm not sure there are instructions with the mount.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 3/31/2003 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#3]
If I were to re-scope my MA, I would get the ARMS mount.

The Springfield is a true POS. I had problems with it from the minute I put it on to the minute I got rid of it. It came loose a lot. It had a slight burr on the side of one of the mounting lugs, so every time I fired the scope would wobble. It took me awhile to find the problem, but a file fixed it. Even after that I sold it.

Also, depending on what you scope it with, you would want the scope as low as possible. This becomes a problem when you still want to use iron sights, as the scope itself will block them even if the mount allows you to use them.  This is just my experience, I thought I'd share before you spent any money.
Link Posted: 4/2/2003 1:48:50 AM EDT
[#4]
 Every civilian I know who shoots their M1A a lot has NO OPTICS.  In many cases ( including my own ) optics were added with a variety of different systems ( in my case Smith Ent with a Leoupold VXII in 4 X 14 ) and in each case the optics were taken off the gun within a matter of weeks.
 I see LOTS of M1A's every week and I rarely, if ever, see scopes on them....it's just too much a pain in the ass.
 This is my opinion, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my opinion, I am nothing.  With out me, my opinion is nothing....huh? Whuh?  Oops....dozed off again and started "automatic typing"
Link Posted: 4/2/2003 11:12:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If I were to re-scope my MA, I would get the ARMS mount.

The Springfield is a true POS. I had problems with it from the minute I put it on to the minute I got rid of it. It came loose a lot. It had a slight burr on the side of one of the mounting lugs, so every time I fired the scope would wobble. It took me awhile to find the problem, but a file fixed it. Even after that I sold it.

Also, depending on what you scope it with, you would want the scope as low as possible. This becomes a problem when you still want to use iron sights, as the scope itself will block them even if the mount allows you to use them.  This is just my experience, I thought I'd share before you spent any money.

okay, the timing of this thread couldn't have been more appropriate. here's my situation...i just bought a springfield M1A standard model for a great price. it included a bipod and a scope mount. unfortunately, i hadn't read this board yet and i wasn't aware of the scope mounting problems with the M1A. and sure enough, the scope mount is the dreaded springfield armory model. i found the smith enterprises model on the web, but it's $220, whereas the POS springfield was FREE. (also, it didn't come with the attachment bolt. i'm assuming this takes a standard 1/4", is that right?)

needless to say, i'm disheartended to hear that the springfield scope mount is a POS. yeah, it was free, but the leupold scope i bought with it wasn't ($500!!!). so what do i do...return the scope, get a refund, and live without any scope on the M1A? or do i go ahead and attach the thing and see for myself how bad the springfield scope mount actually is, thereby losing my chance to get a refund on the scope. (scope rings would probably negate the "newness" of the scope for return purposes.)

what to do, what to do...any advice would be much obliged.
Link Posted: 4/7/2003 9:30:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Which is better for mounting an Aimpoint M68 with an Arms M68 mount? A Smiths mount with Weaver or Picatinny rails?
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#7]
This topic has been discussed here and other forums for a long time and i still havn't seen anybody come out and say that the smith enterprise mount is worth the $40.00 or so more than the arms. GreyGhost came as close to saying it with out saying it as anyone has. As much money as i have in my m21 and leupold i would hate to buy the arms and then to find out that i should have spent a little more for a better mount. Maybe i'm looking at this all wrong and the arms is just as good and i should just get it save the difference and move on.

HD
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#8]

I love my gun scoped
Link Posted: 4/11/2003 4:53:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice rifle..what kind of mount is that and what hieght of rings are you using. Is that a leupold m3 style scope? If it is does the 1moa still give you presice enough adjustments for target shooting?
Thanks
HD
Link Posted: 4/11/2003 5:56:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the compliment. The mount is a Brookfield mount and I use ARMS Quick Release rings that are a Medium height. I wish I had went with the Low rings they would have worked. hte Scope is a Leupold 3.5x10x40 LRT M3. The scope is very precise. Leupold make a new cam for a 308 that I need to get it is more accurate in calibrating the bullet drop.

Thanks
Brian
Link Posted: 4/11/2003 11:44:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Where can I find a Brookfield Mount?
Link Posted: 4/12/2003 4:16:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Try this thread...

www.snipershide.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=000598

Link Posted: 4/12/2003 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#13]
A.R.M.S. #18, #19A, #21 STANAG

Link Posted: 4/20/2003 1:17:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

A friend told me that Bill Ricca has one for sale. It's $400.
Link Posted: 4/20/2003 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I also went with the ARMS mount and QD scope rings. Holds zero every time.

Link Posted: 4/23/2003 8:32:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I went ARMS 18 and ARMS 22 QD rings.  One of the main issues with the standard M1A/M14 is the lack of cheek weld due to the stock design.

I'm still trying to find a comb I like...

Alex
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 10:48:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A friend told me that Bill Ricca has one for sale. It's $400.

How can I contact Bill Ricca?
MJ
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I guess I'm the only person who has the Springfield mounts and has had good luck with them.  They are a little high and it took some getting used to in order to be able to get a good cheek weld but the height allows me to use the iron sights if I would have to.  
I have gotten used to the cheek weld problem and the gun shoots about 3/4" five-shot groups at 100 yards.  The gun is a Springfield Bush rifle with a Springfield 1st generation scope.  This particular Bush rifle shoots better than my pre-ban Nat'l Match.
I've been very happy with the scope and mount.  If I buy another mount, I will probably buy the ARMS to see how well I like it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I've got a Smith Enterprise Mount on my M1A. I really like it. It hasn't come loose yet. I can also use my iron sights without having to remove the mount. It's "top-shelf" quality all the way around.

You can get the mount directly from Smith Enterprise for $197/delivered.

www.smithenterprise.com
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:51:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I guess I'm the only person who has the Springfield mounts and has had good luck with them.

Working fine for me too, going on three years.

It's not as pretty as a brookfield, but my rifle has a cheek rest made of closed cell foam and duct tape, and the entire thing is 6-color desert camo with Krylon. So appearance isnt an issue for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top