Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2017 6:32:01 PM EDT
For the people here that are smarter than me on this topic. I have made a form 1 suppressor in the past, and understand the process, etc... Now my question is if the HPA passes and suppressors are removed from the NFA, is it a green light to assemble suppressors without letting anyone know?
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#1]
yes, it'll be the same as completing an 80% lower now
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#3]
No one truly knows. And the HPA can change drastically before its law.

We're all standing by to stand by.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Suppress all the things.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 7:36:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Lots of alternative facts remain to be determined.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 8:37:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No one truly knows. And the HPA can change drastically before its law.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 3:17:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
yes, it'll be the same as completing an 80% lower now
View Quote

If it is the same as completing an 80% lower, wouldn't that mean that it wouldn't be transferable to anyone else?
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 4:02:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 4:18:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You can't get into the business of making and selling without the proper license, but aren't prohibited from selling one.
View Quote

Yup

The HPA won't make suppressors any more legal.
They will be precluded from registration and not bound by NFA law.
States can still put a ban , or keep the ban they have, on suppressors.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've never made an AR from an 80% lower, but aren't you able to transfer them if you decide to?  YES

Just have to assign a serial number first? NOT REQUIRED BY LAW; RECOMMENDED BY ATF
View Quote
answers above in red RE: home built firearms
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yup

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can't get into the business of making and selling without the proper license, but aren't prohibited from selling one.

Yup

True, but I do suggest going ahead and buying the tubes and endcaps asap. We are already seeing a fast decline in stock and manufacturers are barely keeping up on higher end titanium kits and tubes. As everyone knows it will only get worse until others tool up to make parts as production never meets demand in these situations.

Either that or but a lathe and material later. DM,zworks and others have half stock as of now and showing on and off stock as they complete their already backlogged orders.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#13]
My prediction is a registration form and a small fee.  4473, registration form, small fee for commercially produced product.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Tom Gresham interviewed congressman who wrote the bill. He said it's going to take years to get HPA to the president's desk so if you want a suppressor, go ahead and submit your forms. It will probably be quicker. Guntalk.com.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My prediction is a registration form and a small fee.  4473, registration form, small fee for commercially produced product.
View Quote

Have you read the proposed bill?
It specifically precludes suppressors from the registration process, both state and federal.

SEC. 3. TREATMENT OF CERTAIN SILENCERS.

Section 5841 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by adding at the end the following:

“(f) Firearm Silencers.—A person acquiring or possessing a firearm silencer in accordance with Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, shall be treated as meeting any registration and licensing requirements of the National Firearms Act (as in effect on the day before the date of the enactment of this subsection) with respect to such silencer.”.

SEC. 4. PREEMPTION OF CERTAIN STATE LAWS IN RELATION TO FIREARM SILENCERS.

Section 927 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following: “Notwithstanding the preceding sentence, a law of a State or a political subdivision of a State that, as a condition of lawfully making, transferring, using, possessing, or transporting a firearm silencer in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, imposes a tax on any such conduct, or a marking, recordkeeping or registration requirement with respect to the firearm silencer, shall have no force or effect.”.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:55:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:03:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Tom Gresham interviewed congressman who wrote the bill. He said it's going to take years to get HPA to the president's desk so if you want a suppressor, go ahead and submit your forms. It will probably be quicker. Guntalk.com.
View Quote

It can be deregulated without congress by the ATF if i am not mistaken as well.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It can be deregulated without congress by the ATF if i am not mistaken as well.
View Quote

You are correct.
However, the pro-gun groups want Regulatory laws (congress) written to make it harder for future administrations to impose new restrictions/laws.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:23:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Have you read the proposed bill?
It specifically precludes suppressors from the registration process, both state and federal.

SEC. 3. TREATMENT OF CERTAIN SILENCERS.

Section 5841 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by adding at the end the following:

“(f) Firearm Silencers.—A person acquiring or possessing a firearm silencer in accordance with Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, shall be treated as meeting any registration and licensing requirements of the National Firearms Act (as in effect on the day before the date of the enactment of this subsection) with respect to such silencer.”.

SEC. 4. PREEMPTION OF CERTAIN STATE LAWS IN RELATION TO FIREARM SILENCERS.

Section 927 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following: “Notwithstanding the preceding sentence, a law of a State or a political subdivision of a State that, as a condition of lawfully making, transferring, using, possessing, or transporting a firearm silencer in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, imposes a tax on any such conduct, or a marking, recordkeeping or registration requirement with respect to the firearm silencer, shall have no force or effect.”.
View Quote

I don't have to read it to make a prediction.  Besides, its a proposed bill.  I predict the current form could be used as toilet paper before the real one passes.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I don't have to read it to make a prediction.  Besides, its a proposed bill.  I predict the current form could be used as toilet paper before the real one passes.
View Quote

As of 1934, to have a silencer, you have to file a registration form (5320.1/5320.4) and pay a small fee ($200 tax stamp).

So, your prediction, if HPA passes, is for the exact same process that is already established? Pretty much making the HPA pointless, right?

Sorry if I'm missing the sarcasm.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:15:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Exactly!

More like dealer will mail in a registration form and $25.  I hope I am wrong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top