Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2016 10:47:34 PM EDT
I built my first Form 1 suppressor in 1994.  Factory suppressors were incredibly expensive at the time (I was still in college) and I've always enjoyed building my own stuff, so I thought I'd give it a shot.  No internet forums like this one.  No real sources for parts.  I bought a set of plans from a gunshow that was a pamphlet that basically said, "Thread a tube on both ends, stuff some baffles in it and drill a hole down the middle."  

I scrounged around hardware stores and found a carbon steel tube.  I filed the Form 1 with help from a NFA dealer and waited 14 months for the stamp to come back.  I cut the tube to 9".  No real reason for that length other than "it looked right."  I found a local machine shop to thread it to fit the battery cap from a D-cell Maglite, which I used as the endcap.  The muzzle attachment took some work as I first had to find someone to thread the muzzle of my Rem700 and then thread a matching cap to fit the tube.  I drilled it for .30cal since my rifle was a .308 and I used freeze plugs for baffles.  It took a lot of trial and error before I figured out the blast chamber and spacer arrangements and took close to two years from the day I bought the tube until fired my first shot through it.  I still use that suppressor today, but it's definitely on its last legs.

And this week, I spent 5 minutes online, waited two days and received this nice solvent trap in the mail.

The wait for a stamp is still too damn long, but the relative simplicity with which a person can build a nice, affordable suppressor today is amazing in comparison to what we dealt with prior to the internet age.

ETA:  I should also mention that having forums like this with people from all over the world who are knowledgeable and willing to share information about their designs is even more helpful than the ease with which we can acquire the parts necessary for the builds.  

I have several factory suppressors now and one currently in NFA jail.  But I think I will always enjoy building my own from time to time, just for the satisfaction of the project.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:14:17 AM EDT
[#1]
You happen to have pics of your original can, and the estimated round count through it? Also a link where to purchase your new toy would be a bonus Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:08:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Appears to be from Ronin Pro.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top