Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2016 6:23:55 PM EDT
do you have to have the suppressor design already, or just basics like length and cal? I know I want to build a 9mm can but am not sure on how I will do it yet, but would like to get the paper work rolling.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Just the basics, caliber, length, most use a Model name from the drop down list like, 9MM Suppressor, I think I hit all the high points from memory.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:05:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't turn in any designs, still was approved.  yrmv
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#3]
No design needed.  And for those that claim you should put a ridiculously long length on the form and then build shorter...

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:20:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I like using n/a for model. 1 less thing to engrave.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No design needed.  And for those that claim you should put a ridiculously long length on the form and then build shorter...

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=84416
View Quote

So, I am tired and a little slow after a looong day.

I file my F1 can at .223 and 7 inches, I built it after stamp approval at 8.5 inches, no problemo as long as I notify BATFE, did I read that correctly.

I always understood, shorter OK, longer than F1 spec'd a no go.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I file my F1 can at .223 and 7 inches, I built it after stamp approval at 8.5 inches, no problemo as long as I notify BATFE, did I read that correctly.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  Doesn't matter what the length is on the initial build, just let them know it ended up being different than what you listed on the Form 1.  After the initial build repairs can only make it shorter, never longer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:56:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes.  Doesn't matter what the length is on the initial build, just let them know it ended up being different than what you listed on the Form 1.  After the initial build repairs can only make it shorter, never longer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who has done this successfully?
As I tried once and was denied.
I changed my design, while form pending, and came out .75" longer.
I notified BATFE and was told longer=new stamp so I modified my design.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:04:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you let them know that you hadn't built the can yet?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is typical of the stories I have heard. One thing to keep in mind, BATFE is a big Government Agency with a lot of different employees, if the law & regulation is not clear about this specific circumstance, it is open to interpretation and one examiner may feel different than another. I would be happy if someone could point me to a formal release of guidance like an ATF Bulletin.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

This is typical of the stories I have heard. One thing to keep in mind, BATFE is a big Government Agency with a lot of different employees, if the law & regulation is not clear about this specific circumstance, it is open to interpretation and one examiner may feel different than another. I would be happy if someone could point me to a formal release of guidance like an ATF Bulletin.

I've also been told, by several ATF contacts, that (they feel) if your final build is more than 1/2" shorter than the listed Form 1 length, you need to send in an amendment to the approved form.
Yes, shorter is OK, but only when documented (again, their interpretation/experience).
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:32:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get that, but did the examiner?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Included below is the text from my email exchange today:

On Apr 19, 2016, at 7:08 AM, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:

Yes, sir

Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 8:05 AM
To: Schaible, Gary N. <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Ask the Expert Question from Mnandy

Hi,
Thank you for your information. After the form is approved, would I be able to build to the caliber specified, but to the longer length provided I send a written notification of the actual completed length? This would be a workable alternative for me provided that it legal to do so. I would prefer not to give up my spot in line for approval if possible.

Thanks
Andy

On Apr 19, 2016, at 6:58 AM, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:

The information on a submitted eForm application cannot be modified by either you or us.  If there is an error on or change needed to the form, you should request a withdrawal and submit a new application.  To request a withdrawal, send a request to the NFA Branch at [email protected].  Include the control/permit number of the transaction in this request.  Once your request is processed and the application is withdrawn, a refund of the tax paid will be generated and will appear as a reversal of the charge on the card used.  You can submit a new application immediately (with a tax payment).

Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 8:45 PM
To: eForms NFA Info <[email protected]>
Subject: Ask the Expert Question from

You have you received a new question from eForms user Mnandy

Hi, Is it possible to change the length and caliber on a form 1 after submission but before approval? If it is, I would like to change Redacted to 10.5" length and 30 caliber. Please let me know either way, and if it is possible, go ahead and make the changes. Thanks, Andy
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Two different answers from the same guy a couple months apart if I read that right.

Maybe his boss saw his original answers and said no go on that advise.  ATF might also have updated their guidance with the increased popularity of the F1 process.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:48:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Two different answers from the same guy a couple months apart if I read that right.

Maybe his boss saw his original answers and said no go on that advise.  ATF might also have updated their guidance with the increased popularity of the F1 process.

View Quote

Same answer both times. I can't change the form, but I can send a notification if I deviate from the stated length on the build.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Same answer both times. I can't change the form, but I can send a notification if I deviate from the stated length on the build.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will read it again.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:59:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:30:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It was definitely the same answer.

Gary is the Program Director, and is the one NFA employee still in DC instead of WV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will read it again.

It was definitely the same answer.

Gary is the Program Director, and is the one NFA employee still in DC instead of WV.

Boy wish I had know this before I paid to have a Titanium can made. I would have made it an inch longer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top