Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2016 10:53:30 AM EDT
Looking at a SD Ti D sized Tube build.  How far could this tubes diameter be turned down overall, and in-between the threads?  Probably not a ton, but even a little will reduce the weight.  This would be mostly for pistol with occasional 300bo subs/supers (bolt action, not rapid).  The DM 1.375 tube would be OK, but the lead time and cost are limiting factors.  With the D tube I'd get even more volume anyhow.  I have Ti VSR's for the internals.

Edited for clarity (hopefully)
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 10:57:36 AM EDT
[#1]
What?
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:22:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure on the Ti. I had my Apogee SS tubes turned down between the threads and it was a big weight savings.
View Quote

Do you recall how much it was turned down?

My math is poor, but here's what I was thinking.  1.5" overall OD (iirc 1.36" ID).  Turn down to 1.42 inbetween the threads?  Leave's .06 wall thickness.  In some other threads it sounded like that would be OK for SS tubes, not sure on Ti.  Very little full power 300 BO through this one, mostly pistol rounds and subs.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I've seen some of the earlier Steel ones turned down to .050" between the ends, with Ti and sub and pistol use I would think that is doable.  The 1.375" tube makes more since for pistol use.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 12:26:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for the replies.  Sounds like I'm on the right track, but might not want to go down to .06 for the walls.  I would like the 1.375 tube, but the wait is crazy, I have the internals I need now and looking for max flexibility with this can.  Blocking of the sights on a pistol isn't too much of a concern for me right now, I can get suppressor sights if needed.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Your wall thickness would be .03'' not .06''. Both sides added together would be .06''
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Your wall thickness would be .03'' not .06''. Both sides added together would be .06''
View Quote

I told you my math was bad!  OK.  kidding.  I see where I went wrong.  I guess I need a better idea of how far I can go.  If it's only .02" probably not worth the cost of the turn down.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I told you my math was bad!  OK.  kidding.  I see where I went wrong.  I guess I need a better idea of how far I can go.  If it's only .02" probably not worth the cost of the turn down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just assemble after approval then shoot it. THEN if you feel it's too heavy. Start lifting weights.
I'm saying this based on your lack of math skills. You'll turn it down too far, them blame the mfg for it handgrenading on you.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 8:52:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What?
View Quote
Sorry guys..

I was on my phone and thought I was in the AR-Build it yourself section. Carry on.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:40:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Turned down for what?

I had to.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My math is poor, but here's what I was thinking.  1.5" overall OD (iirc 1.36" ID).  Turn down to 1.42 inbetween the threads?  Leave's .06 wall thickness.  In some other threads it sounded like that would be OK for SS tubes, not sure on Ti.  Very little full power 300 BO through this one, mostly pistol rounds and subs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not sure on the Ti. I had my Apogee SS tubes turned down between the threads and it was a big weight savings.

My 1.5" Ti tube is .60" thickness also. It was a DM 1.5" ordered with 1.38" ID.  I'm not sure why you would not want to bore the ID instead, it gives more volume, you can drop in 1 3/8 internals, and no steps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top