Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2018 10:05:29 PM EDT
For a hunting only rifle is there any reason to go with the Predator vs. the Compact? They both look threaded, the predator is a 22" barrel and 6.6lbs, the compact is a 20" barrel and 6.1lbs. I plan on replacing the stock with a B&C or Magpul.

It looks like the B&C stock wont let me use AI mags but I'm not sure it's that big of a deal for a hunting rifle.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 10:52:14 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are replacing the stock anyways, it really comes down to barrel length/velocity loss and whether or not that is important to you.  I have a 6.5 Creedmoor semi-auto that has a 20" barrel that will still shoot 1000 yd no problem, the 147gr ELD-M is still above trans-sonic at 1200 yd.  For a strictly hunting gun, 20" would be PLENTY.  I bought the Predator 6.5 Creedmoor because I wanted AI mag compatibility, didn't want the shorter length of pull, and don't plan on changing out the stock.  Solid, repeatable 0.75 MOA w/ Hornady 140gr American Gunner.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 7:43:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree, the 20" should be plenty for hunting distances and save a little weight in the process.

I see Ruger has a stainless 6.5C now in the Predator line so that is tempting as well.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:39:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I just ordered the Predator with the AI mags for my son for Christmas for his primary hunting Rifle.  I wanted the AI mags because I don't like the Ruger designed mags in the Ranch Rifle in .300 BLK that we have.

Now I'm waiting on a black Friday deal for a Vortex scope

ETA, the 20" will be fine for hunting
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top