Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2018 2:35:15 PM EDT
Form 1 Approved this past week and I went to work this past weekend finishing up my Ruger SBR Project.

I know people will say A-team, but I like them just because they are somehow very cool looking to me from since I was a teen in the early 80s.  Funny my anti- Mini-14 freinds used to say the A-team always missed hitting the bad guys because they were using mini-14s - not that they deliberately tried to miss anyone.

This started out as a Ruger Mini-14 GB that I bought a few years ago from an AR15.com member.  I think this was some LEO type of surplus - Ohio State Corrections maybe? with a fixed wood stock.

" />

" />

I did the following:

1. Acquire a factory folding stock on ebay (I think I paid $300 for it a few years ago)  I think that was a great price, but still expensive.

2. Cut barrel to 13.25 and thread barrel 1/2x28.  I did this myself using the CNC warrior tools, Brownells facing tool and crowing tool - went very easy and did not require removing barrel!  After splaying out all the tools on my bench and vice the action I was able to do a careful job within 30 minutes.

3. Obtain a Ruger Factory Flash Hider in 1/2x28.  I'd rather use 1/2x28 as it giver more options for muzzle devices than the original 9/16x24.

4. Obtain replica AC556K sight (block top sight)I think the person that made this still lists them on ebay for under $100.   this was easy to install as my block screws weren't staked in to bad.

5. To get it to run well, had to Open up the gas bushing with a 3/32 drill bit and open the barrel port to 0.070" (#50 drill bit) seems to work well.  Not excessively over or under gassed.  maybe slightly over gassed (like the owner) : )

6.  Next step is to shave some of the front sight down with a file.  It hits about 6" low using 55 gain American eagle at 25 yds) and I ran out of rear sight adjustment.  The repro front sight is perhaps a little too tall - can be fixed though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:53:18 PM EDT
[#1]
looks good!
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I like it
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#3]
What's not to like?

Very cool.

Let us know how it shoots after you adjust the front sight.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:50:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the compliments.  Its not common to see this compact version.

To be honest, I think Ruger could sell a few "pistol" versions like this - Just add an AR buffer tube block instead of folding mechanism and people could have some pistol brace fun with a mini !

PS I did like the shootout in Broken Arrow.

Link Posted: 8/30/2018 7:10:32 PM EDT
[#5]
It'd be nice if Ruger would do their stock again, even if they went to a polymer stock instead of wood. I'd keep the metal rod, but hell they could probably modify it too.

I thought about SBRing my 300blk, but the stocks are just too expensive to bother with and using a normal stock on it seems pointless.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#6]
@Commando223

Looks good, OP.  I'd like to see a Mini in a minimalist stock, something where you could see a lot of the guts.

Just got in my 2nd RamLine mag (a nice gift from an ARFCOMer) and managed to get the floorplate off w/o too much trouble.  Gonna try replacing the spring.  If I keep getting these mags I'm gonna have to get a Mini.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Very cool OP I like it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 7:45:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a factory folder model in stainless and love the look of this even more. Yours looks great.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#9]
NICE!

Here's mine with period S&W 4506-1 and FDLE SOT insignia.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 3:08:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Update - I was able to sight it in perfectly with a 50 yd zero by filing the front sight down - slowly and keeping the same shape and contour of the sight.  I think took close to 1/8 inch height off of it - give or take.

As I was at an outdoor range this morning I could use steel case ammo - (my indoor range doesn't allow it for some reason but does on AKs and SKS though)
And it functioned flawlessly with Tula - I was worried about Tula being a little under powered but functioned perfect!

The Kid (some nice gun enthusiast in his 20s) next to me said "Cool sort of like that old TV show - the A Team"  LOL. The folding stock Mini-14 will forever be affiliated with that corny TV show.  Yes I watched it as a teen - We only had three channels!

I also read Mack Bolan books!

Because of the cool pic above Now I want a Stainless GB to match with my Smith & Wesson service guns from the 80s.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Update - I was able to sight it in perfectly with a 50 yd zero by filing the front sight down - slowly and keeping the same shape and contour of the sight.  I think took close to 1/8 inch height off of it - give or take.

As I was at an outdoor range this morning I could use steel case ammo - (my indoor range doesn't allow it for some reason but does on AKs and SKS though)
And it functioned flawlessly with Tula - I was worried about Tula being a little under powered but functioned perfect!

The Kid (some nice gun enthusiast in his 20s) next to me said "Cool sort of like that old TV show - the A Team"  LOL. The folding stock Mini-14 will forever be affiliated with that corny TV show.  Yes I watched it as a teen - We only had three channels!

I also read Mack Bolan books!

Because of the cool pic above Now I want a Stainless GB to match with my Smith & Wesson service guns from the 80s.
View Quote
Stainless GB and S&W 3rd Gens go together so well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Very nice..................I have a blued GB, and happened onto a Falcon Folding stock, so I have my A-Team gun
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 12:59:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Sweet!  Darn Falcon stocks cost almost as much as Ruger factory folders.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 1:42:21 AM EDT
[#16]
That's badass!

I want one dammit.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 3:16:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I love it when a plan comes together.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 5:20:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 6:31:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Awesome
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:15:14 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd love to have a Mini14, if only because is an evolution of the M1 Garand.

Good work OP.

Edit.

Tell me about that sling...
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:58:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'd love to have a Mini14, if only because is an evolution of the M1 Garand.

Good work OP.

Edit.

Tell me about that sling...
View Quote
Thanks - Its an Uzi sling - there are several variations, I think I got this one from "What a Country" a few years ago.

I don't like the plain black nylon slings on the classic wood firearm - I was looking for something with that green/khaki canvas web look.  The Ruger swivels were not big enough for a Garand sling and the Uzi sling is narrow and long enough it can be carried over the shoulders with gun hanging in front.  I also considered an M1 Carbine sling for looks but its length is that you can carry it only strapped to your shoulder on your back side.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Very nice, suprised you had to open the gas port, every Mini 14 (and Mini 30) i have come across was overgassed already & functioned fine with a shorter barrel, although i never went shorter thsn around 14.25" to keep it over 16" with a pinned/welded Ruger FH attached.
Here is one i had done years ago, i had to sell it due to the NY SAFE act
Attachment Attached File

I have all the parts ready to fo it again when i escape from NY to free America in a few years.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:50:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Now your quest should be to find a correct lower gas block with the sling swivel on the side rather than the bottom.

Link Posted: 11/23/2018 4:54:18 PM EDT
[#24]
HI STEVE!  Good to see you again.  There was an original folder gas block for sale on Ebay, but I think it is already north of $300!

EDIT: aparently sold already.  I think last time I saw it was $329 or some such nonsense!
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I can't believe that someone hasn't decided to make a new gas block with a side sling mount already.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Now your quest should be to find a correct lower gas block with the sling swivel on the side rather than the bottom.

http://www.amegamounts.com/product_pages/images/barrel_ID/mini14gb.jpg
View Quote
I have seen AC556's with the side sling mount & others with the bottom mini14 style sling mount, and both were stock  Factory guns.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:32:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Thats a sexy little rifle OP. Not a huge Mini fan by any means, but I wouldn’t kick that out of the safe.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Very nice, suprised you had to open the gas port, every Mini 14 (and Mini 30) i have come across was overgassed already & functioned fine with a shorter barrel, although i never went shorter thsn around 14.25" to keep it over 16" with a pinned/welded Ruger FH attached.
Here is one i had done years ago, i had to sell it due to the NY SAFE act
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/9106/WP_20130305_014_jpg-748147.JPG
I have all the parts ready to fo it again when i escape from NY to free America in a few years.
View Quote
The ejection was inconsistent and weak when initially chopped with Tula which is notoriously weaker ammo, but also one of the most common and I wanted it to work reliably with it.  I got the factory specs of the original AC556K which is what I used.  Seems to have worked.  Not one ejection issue possibly a little over gassed, but not excessive.

I understand about NY SAFE, I moved out of NY because of that law - It took me a few years to work my way out of the state, but so glad I did.

I moved to Georgia.  Weather, Taxes and gun laws all better.  Lots of jobs to be had.  Hardest thing for my business is retaining talent when offers come piling in from other local jobs.  I wished I moved years ago.  NY has been in a death spiral  the gun control was just the one issue that made me move above all others.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Looks just like the Ruger AC556 I had back in the 90s.
Full auto and with the folding stock it was a ton of fun.

I have a Mini-14 with a folder now, it's a 16 inch barrel rifle. It spends time in the back of the safe. I went the way of the AR and don't shoot the Mini 14 much anymore.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have seen AC556's with the side sling mount & others with the bottom mini14 style sling mount, and both were stock  Factory guns.
View Quote
The side sling swivel is specific to the factory folders. It doesn't matter if it's an AC-556 or a Mini-14.

Plenty of AC-556's had fixed stocks.

There were also different profiles of side swivel lower blocks. Some are machined "minimalist" like the photo, but others still have the casting towards the bottom, like this:

Attachment Attached File

This AC-556K also has a side swivel:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:47:07 PM EDT
[#32]
That stocks is old.

Notice that Ruger improved the area with more metal where it meets to wood.

Here is a pic of mine showing the difference. JBTs stock also shows the updated reinforcement area.

As far as the sling..... I like the black original.  Ive got a few originals with swivel if interested.

Mine is fairly rare.  Its got both the reinforced stock and has factory selector markings 1,3,A. Most AC-556s don't have the markings.

It is believed models with the markings were made for export to a foreign government.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:53:25 PM EDT
[#33]
There was an earlier factory selector assembly too. I think Ruger redesigned the selector before they strengthened the stock bracket, but I'm not sure. I've seen many pics of the earlier/shorter stock bracket, but only found one set of photos showing the early selector (all from the same AC-556).
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Here is something I don't understand.

Why doesn't a wood working shop somewhere spit out some replacement wood for these folders?

Its such a small piece of wood and should be easy for a shop to do.

Charge $200 retail for each stock (just the wood) and make a run of 200.

Shit, Ruger probably still has the tooling and could make some replacement wood quick and easy but they don't care about stuff like that.

Boyds makes like 10 different stupid ridiculous stocks for the Mini-14 that no one wants or buys. Why can't they make a run of replacement wood for the folders.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 4:19:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Why doesn't a wood working shop somewhere spit out some replacement wood for these folders?
View Quote
They wouldn't sell well.
They might keep inventory from a run of 200 for a decade. There are plenty of other products they could spit out that they know would sell fast.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
They wouldn't sell well.
They might keep inventory from a run of 200 for a decade. There are plenty of other products they could spit out that they know would sell fast.
View Quote
Saw two wood sets sell recently for large $ without any metal and they where not in perfect condition.

Boyds makes like 10 different stupid ridiculous stocks for the Mini-14 that no one wants or buys. Why can't they make a run of replacement wood for the folders.

If they can make a stupid pimped out BLUE laminate thumbhole POS styled complete stock that no one wants, a tiny replacement wood would sell much better.

Yup, people are making a run on this model, they surely can't keep it in stock. Manhours, material and costs and DEMAND to make this POS compared to folder replacement?????

Link Posted: 11/28/2018 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#37]
I think Someone with a bit of woodworking skills should be able to modify a standard mini wood stock into the folders wood.
Someone with a bit more knowledge of this should be chiming in  shortly.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I think Someone with a bit of woodworking skills should be able to modify a standard mini wood stock into the folders wood.
Someone with a bit more knowledge of this should be chiming in  shortly.
View Quote
100% not possible. The contour in the rear portion could never be duplicated from a standard stock without major gluing on pieces of wood.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#39]
There are stock duplicator services.  Not particularly expensive.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Nice mini.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Saw two wood sets sell recently for large $ without any metal and they where not in perfect condition.

If they can make a stupid pimped out BLUE laminate thumbhole POS styled complete stock that no one wants, a tiny replacement wood would sell much better.

Yup, people are making a run on this model, they surely can't keep it in stock. Manhours, material and costs and DEMAND to make this POS compared to folder replacement?????

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/images/default-source/default-album/c10190.png?sfvrsn=b2247f6c_2
View Quote
Great points.

Maybe they just make poor business decisions?

You could do it yourself and offer them on the EE here. Might make a boatload of money.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:17:14 PM EDT
[#42]
It would even be interesting if Ruger made a new reboot version such as a  "pistol" version of the mini based upon the AC556K and instead of a folder on it, just have an AR tube threaded recess in the back allowing for braces to be aded later.  It could be synthetic perhaps a classic wood version.  Seems like there are so many 5.56 "pistols" out there - why not a Ruger mini?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#43]
If it's just the wood you want, that's easy:

http://www.crscustomriflestocks.com/duplication.html
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Wow! That came out beautiful!!

Really wish someone would make a replica folder stock.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Sweet!  Darn Falcon stocks cost almost as much as Ruger factory folders.
View Quote
I spent 300 bucks on it, and thought I got a great deal...............now they are a lot higher
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:48:09 PM EDT
[#46]
That may be the Mini 14 I sold you.
It was Okla Hwy Patrol rifle.
They sold dozens of them to a local gun shop.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:25:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
That may be the Mini 14 I sold you.
It was Okla Hwy Patrol rifle.
They sold dozens of them to a local gun shop.
View Quote
Yes  - I couldn't remember what LEO agency had it - remembered incorrectly as Ohio. (both begin with "O" )  
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:48:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It'd be nice if Ruger would do their stock again, even if they went to a polymer stock instead of wood. I'd keep the metal rod, but hell they could probably modify it too.
View Quote
You're not alone,  Id buy 2 in a New York minute!
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#49]
This thread is awesome
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top