Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2018 3:18:23 PM EDT
So I just scored one of the Walmart $399 Mini 14s... now time to get some mags.  Bud's has Thermolds at $9 each, and I seem to remember hearing that these were good back in the AWB days.  How are the current ones?  Are there any other aftermarket mags that are worthwhile, or should I just save the grief and stick to factory mags?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I have 1 Tapco 30 rnd Gen 2 Mag that has been flawless.
All my other mags 20 and 30 rnd mags are factory Ruger

Waiting for Magpul to make this.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Rule of thumb, when in doub,  go factory.

Tapco current generation are goood if you are not restricted to 10 rounds.

CDNN sells out very quickly of OE 20rnd mags when they are in stock. Made well like factory, but less expensive.

Everything else will be hit or misss.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks... I'll stalk CDNN and maybe get a few Tapco mags as well.  I see in the pics of the Tapco that the front lockup is steel reinforced... is the rear steel as well, or does it get chewed up with use?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:24:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Thermolds back in the day were fine.  My friend had a bunch during the ban and they worked well.

$9 each is hard to beat if they are as good as the pre ban mags.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:55:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:07:50 AM EDT
[#6]
$399?  I'll have to check my local WM's for closeouts.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:30:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$399?  I'll have to check my local WM's for closeouts.
View Quote
https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=17200884
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 12:07:34 PM EDT
[#8]
1. Factory Ruger made Magazines
2. Tapco Gen 2 Magazine
3. Thermold Wilson NC made mags

I have legit Thermolds that are AWB. They work.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 4:08:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Ruger Factory curved 20rd and OE Brand straight 20rd mags are the only 2 types I'll use in my Mini as they are both solid and reliable.  I especially like the OE straight mags as they give the Mini a more M14 look.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 9:24:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I ordered 5 Tapcos but I am having second thoughts, should I cancel them? It came out to $75 shipped for 5 of them but I’m still having my doubts.

From my research it seems that the factory 20 round mags are the way to go but that would require new mag pouches. I’d like to stick with 30s if possibly but I don’t want to spend $40+ a piece for them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 9:41:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I ordered 5 Tapcos but I am having second thought, should I cancel them? It came out to $75 shipped for 5 of them but I'm still haven't my doubts.

From my research it seems that the factory 20 round mags are the way to go but that will require new mag pouches. I'd like to stick with 30s if possibly but I don't want to spend $40+ a piece for them.
View Quote
The 2nd Gen Tapcos do work. I have a few and I haven't had any issues with them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Are you guys sure these Tapco mags work? I just got five and they all feel like crap compared to an OEM ruger or a Pmag. They are hard to load and pretty slow to push the rounds up. I don’t have much faith in these.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 10:11:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Are you guys sure these Tapco mags work? I just got five and they all feel like crap compared to an OEM ruger or a Pmag. They are hard to load and pretty slow to push the rounds up. I don't have much faith in these.
View Quote
My Tapco Gen 2 mags work.

Here is my new Ranch with my Thermold.

Link Posted: 8/23/2018 10:46:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Factory 20s are the only ones I've ever had function flawlessly in an AC556.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 11:00:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/Ew7pamU.jpg
View Quote
Are they significantly harder to load than your OEM magazines? Overall they just seem flimsy and cheap. I am going to leave a few loaded to 28 rounds for awhile and see what happens.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 6:45:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Are they significantly harder to load than your OEM magazines? Overall they just seem flimsy and cheap. I am going to leave a few loaded to 28 rounds for awhile and see what happens.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/Ew7pamU.jpg
No, they work pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 7:59:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Ruger Factory or OE straight mags.
Go to the Mini section on perfectunion.com and do a search for Mini-14 mags.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 8:19:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Factory 20s are the only ones I've ever had function flawlessly in an AC556.
View Quote
On full or semi?

I'm making a an SBR based on the AC556K,  I am opening up the gas sytem to what has been told b some others that have done it.  Curious if it will be as reliable as it was and if mag issues might start appearing.  The ATF did say my Form 1 was submitted for final review - so I can't wait to try it!
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I bought a 3 pack of them for $25 at Sportsmans Guide.

After I cleaned out the flash in the feed ramps they work fine.
View Quote
I've had success with several of these.
I filed a groove in the follower of each one so it would ride up high enough to activate the bolt stop, but that was only a 5 minute job per mag.
They locked in, they functioned 100%, and after modding the follower, they triggered the bolt lock.

ETA:
Tapcos
I never could get them to work in my 581 series or my FILs older stainless Mini.
They would lock in but sat too low to pick up rounds in his gun.
Wouldn't fit the magwell of my gun.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I've had success with several of these.
I filed a groove in the follower of each one so it would ride up high enough to activate the bolt stop, but that was only a 5 minute job per mag.
They locked in, they functioned 100%, and after modding the follower, they triggered the bolt lock.
View Quote
I've read elsewhere that the new Thermolds aren't quite the same Zytel as the old ones.  How do they hold up to insertion wear?  Especially at the front lug hole where Tapco's have steel?
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 3:42:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've read elsewhere that the new Thermolds aren't quite the same Zytel as the old ones.  How do they hold up to insertion wear?  Especially at the front lug hole where Tapco's have steel?
View Quote
Sorry, I had six that worked fine but only loaded/emptied each maybe 3 times.
The gun and mags are gone now, but I was pretty impressed by the construction.

The Bundy standoff guys seem to be using them exclusively from the photos I've seen.

For 3/$25 if they work, I'd stack them deep and throw them out if they broke.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 4:35:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 10:10:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Brownells and Midway will have sales on the factory mags from time to time.  I've never paid more than $20 for a new factory 20 round mags.

Jason
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:08:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#25]
My mags are all Ruger factory (8) thirty rounders and (12) twenty rounders, and function 100% in the 582, 583, 196, and current 186 that I have had.  Of the Aftermarkets, back in the 90s, I started with USA Magazines, later upgrading with Wolf Springs and Ruger followers.  They were 100% also.  sadly, USA Magazines did not survive the Clinton ban.  They used the same tough, tempered steel of the Ruger factories.

Being in Commiefornia, though, I am stuck with mags I had prior to the cut off or while I was an LEO.  I have also used Thermolds back then, and they were pretty good, but the holes hogged out too easily.  Tapco Gen IIs have really good reputation from the Oregon and Nevada shooters I know, too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top