Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2018 8:16:47 PM EDT
I just picked up a RARR in .300blk. This is gonna be a truck gun and used for hunting black tail deer. Hoping to use it out to 200 yards. What's a good lead free round and optic? I'm leaning towards the Barnes Vortx but don't have any experience with it. And I'd like to keep the optic under 350.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File

I like my sig and Barnes is the way to go
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m getting a CZ527 in 300 and i’m leaning towards the Burris RT6
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#3]
My son has a Vortex Crossfire II 2x7 on his RARR in .300BLK. We use Remington Hog Hammers or Hornady Full Boar with good success

Link Posted: 8/13/2018 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Barnes is the load to use for sure. Bullet was designed specifically for 300BLK.

I too use 2-7x. Mine are Leupold VX-R. We shoot pigs a lot at night over feeder lights and need the illuminated reticle.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 6:06:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Barnes is the load to use for sure. Bullet was designed specifically for 300BLK.

I too use 2-7x. Mine are Leupold VX-R. We shoot pigs a lot at night over feeder lights and need the illuminated reticle.
View Quote
I think the Hog Hammer bullets are made for Remington by Barnes (they are owned by the same company)
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:29:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I’ve had great groups out of my AR using the 110 tac-tx bullets from Barnes. I’m also looking at getting a RARR in .300 blk for the upcoming deer season. I’m looking at the vortex 1-8 strike eagle, but it’s a little above your price range. The other scopes I’m considering are the vortex 3-9x40 diamondback and the Burris Fullfield E1 3-9x40. I just looked on swfa and they have a 1.5-8 razor HD LH on sale that I’m thinking about jumping on. For some reason my iPad isn’t letting me link it. Let me jump over to my laptop and edit to add the link.

ETA   https://swfa.com/vortex-1-5-8x32-razor-hd-lh-rifle-scope.html
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:19:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think the Hog Hammer bullets are made for Remington by Barnes (they are owned by the same company)
View Quote
They are, but I do not know if they are optimized for 300 blk to expand at lower velocities like the 110 ttsx. I would be interested to know.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 12:57:54 PM EDT
[#8]
How about this one for 349.99 and only 9.5 oz!

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-2-5-10x32-ultralight-rifle-scope.html

Throw that into some aluminum rings and you’ll barely know the rifle even has a scope!
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 2:18:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Ended up going with a Redfield 2-7x32. Optics Planet had it with rings for under 200.00. Also decided to try out the Remington ammo with the 130gr Barnes bullets.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 12:32:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Glad you found a scope. The Redfield revolution is a nice little scope, I have one on my CZ Scout .22.
This would have been better though:

Primary Arms 3x prism in FDE with the ACSS reticle made for the x39 and .300 BO.
Shown is the BDC holds for x39 and supersonic .300 BO.
Subsonic .300 can be used as well, but goes to 220 yards instead of 600.

In these pics, the ACSS looks big, and busy, but actually looking thru the scope, it's just right.
Illumination is daylight visible on settings 8 through 11, but the unlit reticle in black is very sharp and easy to see.

Besides moving target leads, wind correction lines on either side of the BDC lines, there are three different methods to determine range.
The lines on the BDC lines and sidebars represent a 18 inch shoulder width, with the narrowest ones being 600 yards.
If the target is turned sideways, and you can't see the shoulder width, the scales on either side show the height of a 5'10" man from 300 to 600 yards.
This reticle just plain works. I've shot mine on paper to 400 yards so far, and my steel gong at 500 yards.
Never thought I'd be connecting with consistency at that range with the old x39, the .300 BO is even loopier, due to the lower velocity.

Tethered scope caps, an available Killflash filter, and an adjustable eyepiece diopter make this a well thought out optic, and well worth the $260 paid.
The diopter adjustment is something that even an ACOG doesn't have, nice for us older guys to get the reticle razor sharp.

There is a small piece of rail on top if you want to add a red dot. I tried one of my FastFires but took it off, as it's pretty easy to pick up a target at closer ranges with the big horseshoe.

PA just came out with a Gen II, only difference I can see is lifetime warranty instead of 3 years, and a removable spacer so you can mount it lower for Mini's, Ak's, etc. The PA stuff is well made, and if I ever have a problem , their CS is top notch.
I can mount mine lower as well, just have to buy an aftermarket ACOG base, as the PA scopes use the same hole pattern as an ACOG.

Here I was testing 4 different x39 loads. I had clicked right to account for a steady breeze, but did not use the BDC for elevation, as I wanted to see how much the loads dropped from a 200 yard zero. I held with the top of the Chevron (50-200 yards) for all the shots.
The hits ringed in black were from cheap Russian Silver Bear, a fist size group at 400, not bad for cheap Commie ammo.
By the time I fired the last group, my Nosler handloads, the wind had died down, and I hit right, and they dropped more, despite the starting velocity being almost the same at 2375 fps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top