Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2018 12:35:22 AM EDT
Been doing a lot of reading about suppressing the Gunsite.  I have the 6830 all black GSR in .308 which I purchased in 2017.

The majority of the GSR suppressor threads I found on various forums online range between 2011-2014 so I've been trying to find more updated information if available.

I want to mount the AAC 7.62 SDN-6 with either the AAC 51T Standard Socket Flash Hider or 51T Brakeout 2.0. This is based on what AAC has told me via email:

"Good afternoon,

You will need a standard socket flash hider to make it work on the scout without issue."

But...I then watched two YT videos that provide some insight on the "deep" vs "standard" socket 51T Flash hider:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQYh-UhxGpE&feature=youtu.be

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQY4u6Z9aTA&t=152s

This video demonstrates that the deep socket 51T FH will not work with the GSR but the Brakeout 2.0 sits perfect on his rifle although AAC's disclaimer says the Brakeout 2.0 will not work with the GSR:

http://www.advanced-armament.com/BRAKEOUT-20-51T-Compensator_p_650.html

I emailed Ruger and they advised me that using a silencer on the GSR will possibly void any warranty.

So, has anyone recently suppressed a GSR with the 51T without any modifications? Has Ruger made steps to ensure newer production GSR models were all concentric/true at the shoulder/threads?

Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 8:19:41 AM EDT
[#1]
GSR wearing an AAC 51T brake.  Note that a deep socket would hit the front sight.

Haven't had any issues, bore concentric is fine.

I have no idea why this deep socket thing took off.   Just say no.    Can't see the charm in and 1/8" or so of reduced length.

The GSR is very early model.

Link Posted: 7/2/2018 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I plan to shoot my GSR which is wearing an AAC 51T (don't remember if is a brake or a standard FH) Wed. so I'll tag this and let you know what's on it.

I have no idea why this deep socket thing took off.   Just say no.    Can't see the charm in and 1/8" or so of reduced length.

View Quote
@rrbgeb

Please let me know if it works for you. If you have any pictures of the brake/fh installed are you able to share a few?  Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 9:34:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have any pictures of the muzzle of my rifle, nor do I have a suppressor.  But I use an AAC muzzle device that is different than the one above, and it works fine.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 10:52:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
GSR wearing an AAC 51T brake.  Note that a deep socket would hit the front sight.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/30981/C4584849-665F-4F43-A07B-D9FFECDF85CE-594935.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/30981/7434CFEC-189C-4716-8FCA-863F3D9F77AD-594936.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/30981/5E476F1A-09E8-4C5E-8360-C18B14087800-594938.jpg
View Quote
Thanks for the photos!  Did you use the AAC shims to get the brake to time right?
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 10:53:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't have any pictures of the muzzle of my rifle, nor do I have a suppressor.  But I use an AAC muzzle device that is different than the one above, and it works fine.
View Quote
Perhaps you have the Brakeout 2.0?

Link Posted: 7/3/2018 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I ordered the AAC 7.62 51T Blackout Flash Hider with the standard socket per recommendation from an AAC representative.  No shims needed, screw on and torque between 40-55ft/lbs.  I'll report back with my results.

I have the GSR Model # 6830 if that matter.

Link Posted: 7/4/2018 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote
Mine might be an earlier model brakeout than that, but it works well.  Again, no suppressor.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 9:53:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Installed the AAC standard socket flash hider using their tool. Torqued the device to a minimum of 45ft/lbs with Rocksett (AAC recommends 45-55ft/lbs for their 5/8x24 muzzle devices according to the package). AAC's flash hiders do not need to be timed. Thread on and torque to spec.

Looked through the bore at various angles and looks concentric to me. No sight of any canting from what I can see. Will be visiting a buddy soon to test mount his SDN6. When I get those McMaster-Carr alignment rods I'll post some updates.

Thanks again

Link Posted: 5/30/2019 1:59:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Almost a year later I picked up my AAC SDN-6 from my dealer.

Installed the silencer on my Gunsite without issue. Perfectly concentric with the bore after using my bore rod. Also eyeballed the bore through the chamber to ensure no half-moon was visible. Going be testing it out with some subsonic loads soon.

I can confirm that if you have a Gunsite and want to suppress it with an AAC can. Get their standard socket muzzle device, I used their FH. No shims needed.

Link Posted: 6/27/2019 8:33:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Turns out I do Have a breakout 2.0 on my GSR.  

Why do they say not to use it with a GSR?  Mine has been fine, but I also do not use it with a suppressor.  And I love this capabilities, so I'm not looking forward to losing them when I replace it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Turns out I do Have a breakout 2.0 on my GSR.  

Why do they say not to use it with a GSR?  Mine has been fine, but I also do not use it with a suppressor.  And I love this capabilities, so I'm not looking forward to losing them when I replace it.
View Quote
They say to not use it on the GSR because it shoulders against the front sight which isn't necessarily square to the bore. This could result in a silencer that doesn't stay true to the bore centerline when mounted, which would lead to a baffle strike or end cap strike.

If you never plan to mount a silencer none of this applies to you. Some people get luck mounting the can, some aren't so lucky.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top