Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2018 7:59:03 AM EDT
Just purchased one from 63, in relatively good shape with an old weaver 4x scope. Someone put a heavy coat of clearcoat on it which I'll remove and restain and finish myself correctly. Always wanted one as they're the 10/22s big brother really and an awesome caliber. Anything I should be careful of or look for? No stock crack which I heard is occasionally an issue.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 8:16:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just purchased one from 63, in relatively good shape with an old weaver 4x scope. Someone put a heavy coat of clearcoat on it which I'll remove and restain and finish myself correctly. Always wanted one as they're the 10/22s big brother really and an awesome caliber. Anything I should be careful of or look for? No stock crack which I heard is occasionally an issue.
View Quote
Welcome to the club brother! Yours is about 10 years older than mine.  No sage advice other than take care of it, keep it clean and enjoy it. Like most gas operated guns it is somewhat sensative to gas pressure. I reload and it didn’t like my revolver load so I had to switch to another powder for it.  They aren’t target rifles but are good enough for deer out to maybe 150 yards if i do my part. My Rossi M92 isn’t much better, just different. The Ruger is easier on the brass than the Rossi is. I don’t shoot mine very much but when I do it puts a smile on my face.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 10:58:10 AM EDT
[#2]
shoot 240gr "factory loads" that what it was designed for.With that being said mine will shoot 180 and 200 grain OK but the rifle can be powder sensitive.

Don't shoot any cast lead through it,this can mess with the gas system.

It's no tack driver but more than adequate at ranges under 150yrds.

Mine has accounted for several venison steaks
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys! Pretty psyched to get to the range with her. Already had a few friends who want to take it out this season for deer... only if I get a fair share.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine loved Win Silver Tips, Hornady 225gr XTP and FTX
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Congrats on your new Ruger 44 carbine. It will be a fine woods Hunter. Feed it good, stout jacketed loads and have fun with it. Stay after the stock screws as they tend to loosen on semiauto 44s.

My carbine is a newer Deerfield model, but fills the same role. It has XS ghost ring sights for backup and just got a Weaver 1x3 scope. This is magic combo for a deep woods hunter.

Link Posted: 7/13/2018 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#6]
A chapter from Taffin's Book of the 44 that every carbine lover should read. OP, you do have a 44 sixgun to pair with the new Ruger carbine, right?

http://www.sixguns.com/BookOfThe44/bot44c38.htm
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 7:28:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine is from 1961, serial number 1XX. It was my one-armed grandfathers deer rifle. The original stock developed a crack just behind the barrel band. I removed it for safe keeping and found a vintage replacement stock on ebay. Mine has a period 4x weaver on it in a flip mount that works great. Hornady Leverevolution was the most accurate load I tested.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 8:53:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine is from 1961, serial number 1XX. It was my one-armed grandfathers deer rifle. The original stock developed a crack just behind the barrel band. I removed it for safe keeping and found a vintage replacement stock on ebay. Mine has a period 4x weaver on it in a flip mount that works great. Hornady Leverevolution was the most accurate load I tested.
View Quote
Sounds identical to mine... I was quite impressed by the flip to side mount as somehow it holds zero. Got out with the rifle and ran about 20 rounds through it no problem... love it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top