Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2018 1:31:28 PM EDT
So I'm looking to purchase a Mini-14 with the factory wood folder in either SS or Blue. I've seen some available and just missed one for $1100 that was Stainless, it was also a from the factory folder. I'm new to this world of Rugers but would really enjoy a factory folder at the range.

For those who own one, what should I be looking to pay in today's prices for a folder? Also don't grumble if I told you I'm going to auction a nice SP1 to finance this.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 8:24:32 AM EDT
[#1]
If you hunt around, you might be able to get one for about $1k.  I've seen some at shows for about $1k (GA) and some (most) way over that ($1300-$1700!) - Auction prices are often a bit high although sometimes you find a listing for a folder that is below normal rates.  I almost picked one up for $700 that someone bubba'd the front end of the gun - home thread job and welded on bayo lug.  Stock wood was nicked badly - Thankfully someone else bought it by the time I circled back to the table an hour later.

These are sort of like AR180s where they were generally un-appreciated early on and then there is a bit of collector interest driving prices high.

With all the retro interest in the market, I can't see why Ruger won't re-introduce the stock.  I know its expensive to produce, but at $600+ for a stock on the market - I'd think someone could fab a close replica for less and make a profit.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#2]
First you need to distinguish between a factory configured folder and a non-factory configured folder. The former was produced as and left the factory in a folding stock, the former did not and was assembled as a folder aftermarket. The former commands a premium...how much is up to you. I recently had similar questions as the OP and researched as many completed auctions and sales as I could find. I found prices to be the following as of early 2018 with the highest prices realized on gunbroker:

- Non-factory configured blued folders are at the bottom for $800-1,000.
- Non-factory configured stainless folders are next at $900-1,100.
- Factory configured blued folders were going for around $1,000-1,200.
- Factory configured blue folders, GB models were selling for around $1,200.
- Factory configured stainless folders were selling for $1,200-1,500.
- Factory configured stainless folders, GB models were $1,500-1,800.

The problem with attempting to ascertain prices for Mini 14 folders is that many buyers fail to distinguish between factory vs. non-factory folders and pay the former's price for an example which is the latter. You need to be careful and do your homework. If you have the serial number of one that you are considering purchasing you can call Ruger and they might be able to look it up and tell you the configuration that it left the factory. They have been tremendously helpful in running S/N's for me and saved me from a few non factory folders. Note that there may be nothing mechanically or otherwise wrong with a non-factory configured folder, it simply won't have the provenance of a factory-produced folder.

It took me a while but I finally found mine - a 1985 factory produced stainless Mini 14 folder in excellent condition with the original serial numbered box, original paperwork and 5rd mag. I also have a Ruger Letter of Authenticity for it.

Link Posted: 5/19/2018 2:16:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you guys for providing insight and sharing your information with me. Now that I'm much more well versed than I was 2 days ago, I can go start my search. It seems you have plenty of thieves on GB that are looking for all sorts of numbers. Its too bad I just missed out on perfect SS folder for $1100.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 12:18:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a stainless ranch rifle folder that was nib for $1000 off of GB a couple years ago
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Censorship thrives here, keep deleting those posts like true net nanny.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't give up on it OP.   It wasn't a priority for me when I found one....I would browse GB a couple times a month just to see what was listed, got a good laugh on some of the listings lol. checked one day and a new listing popped up, I jumped on it...seller and rifle was legit.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#8]
If you look real hard, you can find a folding stock that is almost identical to the factory folding stock...........made by Falcon. If it doesn't have to be completely authentic, then you can get a Mini and that stock and have just about the same thing. I found the Falcon stock, and the only thing different is the pistol grip. I installed it on a GB I have and other than the pistol grip, it looks like a factory gun
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 3:19:34 PM EDT
[#9]
A big thank you to all the folks who added their 2 cents here. I really did a good amount of reading about what and what not to buy. Some of the posts really went above and beyond informative, and it helped out greatly. Ended up finding a Blue Full-Factory folder for 1k complete with correspondence from Ruger giving the date and how it left the factory!

Now if I can just find myself a full wood SS for under $600.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top