Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/28/2018 3:14:19 PM EDT
CDNN has them back in stock.  They work superbly in my 583 Series Mini-14 and at only $14.99, they are a steal!  They won't last long.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/mini-14-223-20rd-premium.html
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#1]
That’s great news. Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#2]
you just cost me $120
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I definitely grabbed a couple to test.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Dam it you cost me money.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 8:08:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dam it you cost me money.
View Quote
how much?

I ended up getting 3... then 4 P89 mags and a AR end plate.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I got 3, I figure I have 4 Ruger 20 round mags here now plus the 10 rounders. Gives  me 1 for the range and 6 for zombies (I ain't carrying it if the zombies come )

I just sprang for the a new Mini200 rear sight and odd's are I'll get a strut and flash hider down the road.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 9:14:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I got 3, I figure I have 4 Ruger 20 round mags here now plus the 10 rounders. Gives  me 1 for the range and 6 for zombies (I ain't carrying it if the zombies come )

I just sprang for the a new Mini200 rear sight and odd's are I'll get a strut and flash hider down the road.
View Quote
I bought them because all I have are aftermarket ones and I shoot action rifle matches. I always wanted to take my mini, but the mags I have kind of suck reliability wise.  Now I can see what the mini will do.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Ruger made OEM straight 20rd mags?

I don't believe it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't believe it.
View Quote
it says this.

RUGER MINI-14 223 20RD MAGAZINE ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT

This magazine is original equipment; which means it's manufactured in the same factory using the same process as the magazines that shipped with the gun originally.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 10:51:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I bought them because all I have are aftermarket ones and I shoot action rifle matches. I always wanted to take my mini, but the mags I have kind of suck reliability wise.  Now I can see what the mini will do.
View Quote
I've 1 promag 20 rounder I was using as a range mag that was on the iffy side. This way I can use 1 of the new ones as a range mag.

I'm still undecided on my Mini. I was trying to use a scope on it and didn't like the way it handled (Vortex 2-7), took that off and yesterday was the 1st trip trying to zero the cheap assed Ruger rear sight (mines a Ranch a bought at Wally World a couple years ago on a Black Friday sale) .

I gave up after 25 rounds (I'd zeroed the irons before I mounted the scope 2 years ago). I was getting decent elevation but the windage kept moving to the right, damn set screw ain't worth crap.

I'm hoping the Mini200 takes care of that, I want to like the rifle since I'm a fan of M-1 Carbines and bought the Mini as a substitute to keep the round count down on my USGI one.

We'll see. I'm not expecting AR groups with a Mini but the broad side of a barn joke ain't cutting it......and I now have 2 M-1 Carbines so I've 1 I can shoot (import marked one, my "good" one is a CMP Inland with a Winchester barrel)
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
it says this.

This magazine is original equipment; which means it's manufactured in the same factory using the same process as the magazines that shipped with the gun originally.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't believe it.
it says this.

OE Brand.  That's the name of the company.  While they claim that they made the original, so do Springfield Armory, Henry Repeating Arms, and Inland Manufacturing all claim that they are the original company and they are all lying.  They all bought the names.  To my knowledge, Ruger never offered straight 20rd Mini-14 mags; they have always been curved.

However, the bottom line isn't who the company is but rather if the mags are any good.  My testing of 5 of them vs 5 of Ruger's own shows that they are every bit as good (and in some cases better) than Ruger's mags.  That  can not be said for most aftermarket Mini-14 mags.  Best of all, at $15 each, they are priced right.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#13]
mini accuracy isn't horrible.  you can bang 6 inch plates at 200 yards all day.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OE Brand.  That's the name of the company.  While they claim that they made the original, so do Springfield Armory, Henry Repeating Arms, and Inland Manufacturing all claim that they are the original company and they are all lying.  They all bought the names.  To my knowledge, Ruger never offered straight 20rd Mini-14 mags; they have always been curved.

However, the bottom line isn't who the company is but rather if the mags are any good.  My testing of 5 of them vs 5 of Ruger's own shows that they are every bit as good (and in some cases better) than Ruger's mags.  That  can not be said for most aftermarket Mini-14 mags.  Best of all, at $15 each, they are priced right.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't believe it.
it says this.

I didnt know that.. Once again deceptive advertising got me for 3 of these and 4  P89 mags.  More shit I gotta sell later.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#15]
No need to sell them.  They are actually better than Ruger's current batch of 20rd mags.  I've sent my review to the CEO of Ruger suggesting that he have a hard talk with his supplier as Ruger's current mags don't measure up to the OE brand I have.  Also, if you don't want yours, I'll gladly take them off of your hands.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No need to sell them.  They are actually better than Ruger's current batch of 20rd mags.  I've sent my review to the CEO of Ruger suggesting that he have a hard talk with his supplier as Ruger's current mags don't measure up to the OE brand I have.  Also, if you don't want yours, I'll gladly take them off of your hands.
View Quote
Thanks for the reviews. I'm sure they are fine.
The OE brand makes it sound like it's factory... a bit deceptive.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 11:34:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd say if you found a buyer for a aftermarket Mini 14 mag, sell it quickly.
Otherwise don't waste your time And money trying to get aftermarket mini 14 mags to function.
There are very few aftermarket mini 14 mags that consistently work.
OE BRAND is not made by Ruger or original Ruger Equipment. That is the name of their company.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Otherwise don't waste your time And money trying to get aftermarket mini 14 mags to function.
OE BRAND is not made by Ruger or original Ruger Equipment. That is the name of their company.
View Quote
Ruger subcontracts their mags, they don't make them in-house.  The OE brand mags are 1st rate and function as well or better than the current mags produced for Ruger.  In fact, after I sent a 'Tell the CEO' email to Ruger on their site last week, Mr. Eric Schellhorn, Director of Sportswear & Accessories, Ruger Firearms; "Ruger's Mr. Magazines" called me yesterday afternoon to talk about my comments I sent to the CEO concerning OE brand's 20rd Mini-14 mags vs Ruger's 20rd Mini-14 mags, their design, quality, and pricing.

I suggested that Ruger purchase a few OE brand mags from CDNN and evaluate them for their design, quality, functioning, and pricing.  He indicated that as a result of my email, they were in the process of getting some to look them over.  We talked for a while about my findings and he was surprised at my evaluation concerning their design and operation as I said that I considered OE's mags to be superior to Ruger's current grouping and that in my testing of 5 OE 20rd mags vs 5 Ruger 20rd mags, they functioned better with zero failures to feed vs Ruger's 1 failure to feed.

Yep, better from a mag that sells for 1/2 of what Ruger mags cost.

As a former US Army trained Armorer on the M14, I'm very familure with the function of the M14, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, and therefore the Mini as they all share the same basic design.  We'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ruger subcontracts their mags, they don't make them in-house.
View Quote
That actually surprises me, with how much stuff Ruger refuses to let be done outside their shop (headspacing, etc).  It's not that I don't believe you, but do you have a source for the information above?

Also....impressive that they called you back over your comment on the mags.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That actually surprises me, with how much stuff Ruger refuses to let be done outside their shop (headspacing, etc).  It's not that I don't believe you, but do you have a source for the information above?

Also....impressive that they called you back over your comment on the mags.
View Quote
Yes I do, read my post above.

Is  Mr. Eric Schellhorn, Director of Sportswear & Accessories, Ruger Firearms; "Ruger's Mr. Magazines" good enough for you?  He told me what I already knew yesterday.  They subcontract the accessories, including magazines.  In fact, he told me that the supplier that manufactured the Ruger 20rd mags I got for my Mini in March 2015 isn't the same one producing them today, however, they are producing them to Ruger's specs.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
mini accuracy isn't horrible.  you can bang 6 inch plates at 200 yards all day.
View Quote
My Mini has been tweaked, that's true.  And, I shoot only handloads specifically tuned to it.

That said, I use it to shoot at bowling pins at 200yds with ease when I'm on and at 300yds if I'm really on that day.  And yes, that's with the iron sights I have on it (target aperture on a Mini200 rear sight and a thinned front blade to .050" wide giving me 'NM' like sights, same as are on my M1A).
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:20:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Someone let me know when 10 rd mags are on sale.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#23]
I loaded my two up today, and noticed that the right hand feed lip of one was significantly more bent than the other.  Don't know if it will cause issues or not.

How important is replacing the mag followers with Ruger brand, specifically?
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#24]
For those who care, my two mags ran well, but for one round that I seated wrongly in the mag/immediately hung up.

I plan to buy several more of these when they come back in stock.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 7:49:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I plan to buy several more of these when they come back in stock.
View Quote
Now's your chance.   They're back.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/mini-14-223-20rd-premium.html?___SID=U
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Now's your chance.   They're back.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/mini-14-223-20rd-premium.html?___SID=U
View Quote
You just cost me more money on these things
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the heads-up
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I don't believe it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 9:11:40 PM EDT
[#29]
*Yawn*

Let me know when you find a 30 rounder that works. Even factory Ruger 30s are shit.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 9:09:25 AM EDT
[#30]
The 30 rd mags don't give the Mini the same balanced feel as the 20rd mags do.  Same for the M14/M1A. For that reason, I don't use them even though I do have them for my ARs.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#31]
The very first Ruger factory were straight. (as pictured in the article with Jeff Cooper's review).  They had more of an angle on the bottom than the OEs, IIRC.  I had a couple in the early 80s when I had a 180 series I used as a Trunk gun.  By Mid-to-late 80s, though, they switched to curved.  I don't recall when.

Here's the second page to the article above.  Interesting read.

Compare early Ruger 20s to OE in this picture:  582 I had with OEs

Link Posted: 4/11/2019 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#32]
These are back in stock. Just ordered 3.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
These are back in stock. Just ordered 3.
View Quote
Thanks!  Just ordered 5
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#34]
an “OEM” Ruger Magazine has Ruger stamped on it.
They might work fine...?
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#35]
FWIW GunMagWarehouse also has factory Ruger .223 mags for $30 as well as the factory marked .300bo mags for same $$$.
I just ordered some a week ago.

CDNN has good prices & service but I'm always ordering up too much to justify the flat $10 shipping. If they still have the Asian 'heavy duty' steel bodied AR mags for $8 that's a pretty good deal.

Edit: If you search for all 'Ruger' mags the $15 Mini 14 mag w/green follower listed as 'original equipment' doesn't come up on CDNNs page, only the $30 'factory magazine' w/black follower. But following the link above will show you that mag as in stock, and it's not listed as 'Asian military' either. I don't remember seeing a Promag with a green follower.

If it's KCI, I've heard some good reports on those if you don't mind filing the back down a bit to fit. I'm thinking it's Asian as the 'heavy duty' AR mags I mentioned have green followers too...
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 4:15:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Ordered four, arrived today.  Two would not seat in my rifle, two seem fine.  Will contact cdnn Monday to see what we can do.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Ordered four, arrived today.  Two would not seat in my rifle, two seem fine.  Will contact cdnn Monday to see what we can do.
View Quote
I just tried all three that I ordered.  Two fit great, but the last one seemed too tight to fit.  I worked it in and out a few times and smacked it in, now it fits fine every time.

You might try locking the bolt back, making sure the tab goes into the hole on the front, and giving it a firm "whack" to the rear to see if it will lock up.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 7:51:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I just tried all three that I ordered.  Two fit great, but the last one seemed too tight to fit.  I worked it in and out a few times and smacked it in, now it fits fine every time.

You might try locking the bolt back, making sure the tab goes into the hole on the front, and giving it a firm "whack" to the rear to see if it will lock up.
View Quote
Well, that worked.  Got both to seat. Will see how well they work at the range hopefully tomorrow
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have a couple of the old Eagle mags that work pretty good....................those are about the only ones beside some of the thermalite mags that work in my GB
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#40]
there were several non ruger mags that worked fine back in the day, problem is people bought 2-3 large cap mags for their mini and called it good, so there are just not that many out there.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 9:31:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Still stalking CDNN...
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 10:28:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Still stalking CDNN...
View Quote
Same I would love a few of these for my GB.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Believe it or not, a got some Pro mags that actually works in my mini tactical.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#44]
I just got some OE  10s & 20s from CDNN, they only pop up a few times a year and sell out fast, and CDNN does not appear to have a ‘notify me’ option so word of mouth in these forums is how I heard about them.

Just like everyone says, the bodies seem to be better made than factory Ruger with a one piece steel body and clean welds. The follower looks like a copy of the old style follower with more tilt than my factory 10s & 20s. If they don’t run 100% I’ll grab some factory followers but we’ll see how they run before I spend $5 a pop. I think the 10s were $12 and the 20s were $15 so the price is right, even if they just wind up being range mags.

I’m running .300bo so if the tilt is too much then 125gr. bullets should cause problems. Although I’ve not had that problem with tilt followers in GI straight 20s in an AR. I’d have thought the new Ruger followers wouldn’t work well in a straight bodied 20 round mag but they seem to work.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Yep they’re back in stock for now
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yep they're back in stock for now
View Quote
Yup.

If they're still in stock next payday (doubtful), I'll grab two or three more to go with the three I just bought this week.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#47]
They had 66 a few minutes ago.

Now they only have 63.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#48]
I keep missing these :(
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Well after several range trips running several brands of .300bo thru my 10 & 20 round OEs I can say they lock, load and feed just as well as the factory mags. No issues with the OE green followers.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top