Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/13/2018 11:35:21 PM EDT
In 1989, my soon to be FIL was on a commercial fishing boat in the North Pacific out of Kodiak. They hit a reef and the boat started sinking. Eveybody hopped in the skiff in time, and they were able to get to shore. The owners decided to raise the boat the next year and thats when my FIL was able to find his mini-14 that he forgot in his haste.

As soon as they got it to shore, it sat in a drum of diesel for a few months. It has fired since coming back up, but has since been taken apart and put in a trash bag, with the stock thrown away. It was covered in mud on the deck of the boat, so that saved it from a lot of corrosion. All the major components are sound, but the barrel bore is the only questionable item, because pitting can be seen at the muzzle. It has sentimental value, and cost doesnt matter much, but he wants it nickel coated now too.

Starting with springs, pins and firing pin to be replaced. Also lots of TLC with a buffing wheel and sandblaster.

I'll update with pics as I go.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

**Corrections, it was a boat leaving Kodiak, not Dutch Harbor, and rifle was blued**
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 12:00:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I love the s threads, pictures?
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 12:26:51 AM EDT
[#2]
As I understand it some parts are only available from Rugar.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 5:47:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Just because you can see a little pitting at the muzzle doesn't mean the barrel has to be replaced.  I have a sporterized M1917 that looks like an old sewer pipe inside the barrel and it shoots amazing groups with factory .30-06 ammo.  It was my deer rifle for a couple years.

Are you keeping it stock?  Or willing to modify it's appearance?  If modification is okay there's people here that can steer you to parts sources.  I've seen some really neat looking Mini14's here.

How did it end up in the water?  How was it found/rescued?
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 6:08:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 6:55:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Fire lap the barrel
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 6:57:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I will get pics up later on, this will be a doozy.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 6:59:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just because you can see a little pitting at the muzzle doesn't mean the barrel has to be replaced.  I have a sporterized M1917 that looks like an old sewer pipe inside the barrel and it shoots amazing groups with factory .30-06 ammo.  It was my deer rifle for a couple years.

Are you keeping it stock?  Or willing to modify it's appearance?  If modification is okay there's people here that can steer you to parts sources.  I've seen some really neat looking Mini14's here.

How did it end up in the water?  How was it found/rescued?
View Quote
Funny you mention the 1917, my Eddystone is the EXACT same way. We talked and decided if it can shoot minute of pie plate at 50 yards, the barrel stays.

All springs, and firing pin at least will be replaced to start with.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Accuracy Systems has Ruger factory take-off barrels.   http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/index.php
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Pics added
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#10]
That doesn't look too bad, honestly.  I'd be extremely careful about cleaning out the barrel, but otherwise looks salvageable.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:39:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Cool!
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I like watching these threads.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#13]
excited to see this one come together.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#14]
In.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 2:07:37 AM EDT
[#15]
I have seen a few here in the bush that looked worse and are still being used.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 2:58:55 AM EDT
[#16]
True story. I'm sitting here in my garage going through the boxes of paperwork(taxes,banking,work) of my Grandfather who passed in 1998. Thinking to myself i wish I had something more to put my hands on.  I wish I had him back.

Go fix that rifle
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 5:52:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Sofa King in.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 6:16:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have seen a few here in the bush that looked worse and are still being used.
View Quote
Ive seen it too. FIL has made many a trip up river to Bethel buying salmon too. He owns two 70’ cod boats out of Kodiak now.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 7:18:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I suggest using electrolysis to remove the rust from the parts.  Least-damaging method of doing so.  Complete tear-down, naturally.  I suspect that the barrel is toast, if not because of damage to the bore, but because of damage to the chamber, which can cause cases to stick.

Firing pin, most bolt parts, and many trigger group parts are Ruger-only.  However, The Accuracy Systems folks mentioned above are authorized Ruger repair people, and can probably do wonders with the Mini if the barrel needs to be replaced.  They have the parts and skill to re-build the bolt and trigger group; likely better than new.

I'd completely disassemble, electrolytically remove all rust, take pix, and contact them.  I would replace the barrel with a wider-diameter, less whippy version, have the bolt rebuilt and carefully headspaced to the new barrel, and change out the extremely wide OEM gas orifice for a much smaller one.  Having a trigger job done on the rebuilt trigger group would be a great idea.  New, tight-fitting syn stock; perhaps a Butler Creek folder.  The Mini, with some minor pitting here and there, will be better than new.

Some before and after electrolysis pix here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=335835
View Quote
Already had a butler creek folder inbound. This thing is NOT getting accurized and shit, it’s going right back on the boat anyways.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 12:11:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Check eBay for parts, occasionally I see all parts less the receiver in a lot that is up for auction. I guess someone scrapped a rifle for parts, or they are destroying a rifle from pd liquidation’s that are ordered to do so. I see lots of deals on eBay occasionally.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 1:00:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

it’s going right back on the boat anyways.
View Quote
Replace all springs non serviceable parts.

Quoted:
, but he wants it nickel coated now too.

View Quote
Then TechPlate.

http://www.techplate.com/duraplate1.htm

Or...

Replace non serviceable parts.
Find a Cera coat shop.

Or cheaper.

buy a harbor freight air brush and some
Norrells Molly Resin and shoot it yourself.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 1:40:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Edited.  No offers for Sale/Trade/Buy outside of the EE.  Suggest you take it to IM.  raf
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Butler creek folder is here, all springs ordered from
ruger yesterday
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I would replace the barrel with a wider-diameter, less whippy version, have the bolt rebuilt and carefully headspaced to the new barrel, and change out the extremely wide OEM gas orifice for a much smaller one.  .... The Mini, with some minor pitting here and there, will be better than new.
View Quote
I agree with this.  Not only because @raf knows what he's doing, but also because I would be a little wary about shooting a barrel that's been underwater that long due to headspace and pressure concerns.  And a replacement barrel might be faster, easier, and more effective than a nickel plate.

But if you're going to nickel it, why not NP3 it at Robar?  I had a gun done there, and was extremely happy with the finish, and that was just for S&G. If that thing is going to live on a boat, Robar might have some good finishes for consideration.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 9:23:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Keep us updated. I’d like to see how it turns out.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 12:57:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Accuracy systems has a .625 barrel in both blue and stainless.  I have a stainless one on a stainless receiver.  If It we me, I would have the stainless barrel installed and cerrocoat the receiver in a bright gray color that is close to the stainless color.   This would probably mean a new bolt was needed.  After being under water for a year I'm sure it needs a new bolt anyway.

http://www.accuratemini14.com/index.php
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:41:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Accuracy systems has a .625 barrel in both blue and stainless.  I have a stainless one on a stainless receiver.  If It we me, I would have the stainless barrel installed and cerrocoat the receiver in a bright gray color that is close to the stainless color.   This would probably mean a new bolt was needed.  After being under water for a year I'm sure it needs a new bolt anyway.

http://www.accuratemini14.com/index.php
View Quote
Thats been my thought as well. I think Ill order a stainless barrel and gas block from them.

Bolt isnt in bad shape, but we will see.

Getting the electralysis tub set up, goes live Thursday. Ruger sent me a tracking number for the spring kit yesterday and I have the butler creek stock in hand.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 9:44:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have the butler creek stock in hand.  
View Quote
Where'd you get it, for what price?  I might need one
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 10:05:28 AM EDT
[#31]
If you're not going to go the  electrolysis route, do yourself a favor and pick up a gallon or so of evaporust.  The stuff is non-corrosive and does an amazing job getting rid of rust in hard to reach places.  Soak the action for a couple of days and the rust (and whatever blueing is left) will be completely gone.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Neat project !
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Where'd you get it, for what price?  I might need one
View Quote
In the EE for $75 shipped
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:09:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Also ordered him one of these, new old stock. HK deomt sight/flash hider.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Contact me via email sir
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Been ordering a ton of stuff for this thing. Barrel/gas block and rear sight come in tomorrow. Got all new trigger, stainless pins and small parts ordered from Midway, Brownells, and Numrich.

Receiver, bolt, slide, hammer, sear and trigger housing are packed up to go to CCR to get CPII cutting. Electrolysis and a bath in Evapo-Rust with the ultrasonic did a lot of theleg work before I went after it with the brushes.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 11:26:15 PM EDT
[#38]
I bet Ruger might like to take a look @ that gun @ some point.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#39]
New stainless barrel and gas block made it in. Tech rear sight too!

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Cool thread OP, thanks for sharing. I love these.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 9:16:46 AM EDT
[#42]
CCR coated the parts in I sent in their CP2 coating, and it looks great! I told them dont worry about getting the pitting out, just do what it takes to coat em!

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Going to start assembly tonight!
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Awesome
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Looks awesome OP.

But I had to look up the coating.

CPII is a true composite plating consisting of an Electroless Nickel/Boron Nitride bath

CPII benefits are
* Extremely low co-efficient of friction. Which greatly reduces wear on
sliding parts
* Boron Nitride offers great lubrication. The Boron Nitride is dispersed
throughout the plating exposing new lubrication
* CPII has a higher hardness then standard plating and a fantastic
Satin look
*CPII offers extreme corrosion resistance for harsh environments
*CPII Makes Cleaning your Gun a Breez

Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Awesome
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Not sure how I missed this thread but I’m in.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Thats awesome, hopefully you can shoot it soon.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#48]
This is an excellent thread OP!

Appreciate the updates and can’t wait to see the finished rifle.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#49]
I mean, you done got your ol' lady to pop out a kid, but we still need an update.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I mean, you done got your ol' lady to pop out a kid, but we still need an update.
View Quote
The barrel didnt index to the receiver, so it's at a shop getting turned down and chamber checked after that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top