Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2014 12:04:47 AM EDT
So I'm on my second gunsite scout.   The first one I sold because I was in a pickle, but at least now I have flats on my flash hider.  

The scout rifle is a great idea, and I'm by no means dogging on it, but I'm really thinking about making mine a little different.  
As it sits, it has the leatherwood 2-7 scout scope, and Andy's Ching sling.    

The optic is the first I was thinking about changing.    I have allways wanted a lit retical on a ler scope, but it doesn't exist and I doubt it will any time soon.  
So I was pondering a red dot, but no magnification on a 308..... Pointless.     Now I have allways wanted to try out the xs rail they make, a standard accupoint or something like that would feel good, but even with one that goes to 1x  it's still not as efficient as the long eye relief.  
So I'm back to a aimpoint, or a eotech,  and to fill the rest of the rail a flip to the side magnifier.  

To make it worse, I want to mount a light on the rifle.  I want to be able to return the rifle to stock form, so not drilling or rigging a rail, and absolutely nothing hanging from the barrel.     I'm thinking about one of the rail like this 45 degree rail

Along with Mount
I'll have to look around and find exactly what mounts will make a light hug the forearm of the rifle.  

Add a but stock pouch, a bipod, and  my suppressor I have on the way' I think I'll have a very capable  shtf/ survival rifle.  

Just want to hear some feedback.... I might hate the setup, but i could always use   Most of the parts on another rifle.  
I'm not sure if there is enough rail to mount the magnifier red dot combo.   It possibly could make the rifle to heavy, but since it's already chunky, I didn't plan on a diet.    
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#1]
So I'm back to a aimpoint, or a eotech, and to fill the rest of the rail a flip to the side magnifier.
View Quote

Is there such a thing as a low profile tip-off magnifier mount?  On a bolt gun I like the optic to be as low to the bore as possible.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have allways wanted a lit retical on a ler scope, but it doesn't exist and I doubt it will any time soon.  

View Quote

Leupold makes an illuminated scout scope.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 2:50:38 PM EDT
[#3]
that's the first ive heard if that scope.  its a pretty penny but exactly what I was looking for.   is there any feedback on that scope?  
it would save me from buying the xs scope rail.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I only know of one guy with one and he couldn't be happier. It weighs the same as the Burris offering but (obviously) with the addition of an illum. ret. For some more money you could get Leupold to install a custom reticle in there with a BDC (also like the Burris) but matched to the load info you give them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I put a Bushnell TRS-25 on my GSR until I got a Burris scout scope. I could easily hit a 12" steel plate at 300 yds, The rifle is accurate enough to warrant the extra edge the the magnification provides but I have been considering going back to the little red dot. It handles so nice and barely adds any weight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top