Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2013 2:15:27 PM EDT
So I picked up an American Rifle this week in 30-06 as my first bolt gun (other than my Mosin) and want to put a scope on her.

I don't want to spend a fortune on a scope (I know buy once, cry once) but am willing to spend up to $300. This rifle is going to be used for me to learn how to shoot at distances greater than 100 yards and will likely be used for hunting down the road.

I have been doing as much reading as I can and at this point things are starting to run together

A few scopes I have been looking at are the Burris Fullfield ii, the Redfield Revolution and the Vortex Diamondback. Are there others that you would recommend? And should I look at the 3-9x40 or 4-12x40?
Also what are some good rings? I've heard good things about the Burris Zee rings. Medium height?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 10:54:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I put a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x on my Ruger american and am extremely happy so far.  Last I recall, Cabela's was having a sale on Nikon Buckmasters which are supposedly a step above, you should check those out too.

The bolt throw on the American is minor, so you can mount scopes fairly low.  Medium rings are a very safe bet for those sizes of scopes you mentioned, but you may be able to get away with low too.  I unfortunately am using high rings because that's what I had leftover from my attempt at scoping a Mosin Nagant.  As for what brand, I use some type of Leupold quick disconnect rings so that I can pack the rifle and scope into a case easier; they are fantastic as well.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Here ya go

3x9 will be fine, 4x12 is nice for taking really long shots, but not necessary
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 9:08:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks OP, I was literally going to post the same question & reason for purchase for a 308 Ruger American I am considering.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#4]
ive got a redfield revolution 3-9x40 on my 30-06 american. gander mountain has the scope for $159.99.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
ive got a redfield revolution 3-9x40 on my 30-06 american. gander mountain has the scope for $159.99.

Nice I might have to pick one of these up too.

Thanks to the above posters too for their input. I ended up finding a Nikon Buckmaters 3-9x40 for 159.99 at cabelas and had bass pro price match so I didn't have to pay shipping. Also ordered a set of Burris signature Zee rings after hearing good things about them. Once I get the rings and get her mounted I'll post pics and hopefully a range report to follow
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Got the scope mounted yesterday now just itching to get to the range...
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:15:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice looking rig.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top