Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2013 11:20:27 PM EDT

Well I thought it might never happen, but my Ruger GSR is finally on the way. I'm sure my local dealer is tickled pink because after next Wednesday or so he'll never have to hear me call him 3 times a week (slight exaggeration) inquiring about the status of the order. I'm pretty excited and haven't wanted a rifle this bad since I bought my Henry Golden Boy .22 Mag years and years ago.

So, I'm already planning modifications to this rifle, to make it unique, to make it mine! I am thinking of adding a short, nearly flush mounting picitinny rail to the bottom of the forend. I would like to use this rail piec to mount a Grip-Pod or similar deployable bipod/VFG combo. But I'm not sure how to do it and don't want to butcher the stock. I'm thinking some form of backing plate and remove material so it is flush with the stock channel. Then removing some material for the rail piece to fit as flush as it can with the rail still operational.

I also want to remove the sling swivel studs and install QD pushbutton swivels and cups. I want to mount a cup in the locations the studs currently reside, then three more along the left side to mount a Ching Sling as I almost always shoot from sling supported positions. I want to use the factory stud locations for humping the rifle in the woods, then swap to the left side mounts for shooting with sling support. I have never used a Ching Sling, so I am unsure if side mount will allow it to work properly.  Problem is that I have never fired with sling support while also using a VFG. So some testing with original sling mounting locations will be needed before I finalize anything.

So, anyone with experience modifying laminated stocks care to give me some pointers? Like what tools will best get the job done and make it look professional? I do have a nice set of wood chisels that I used in an art class but that was one project and 20 years ago. If all goes well, I may carve a nice design into the stock afterwards, then use Dura Coat to finish it all off.

Thoughts and ideas welcome. I am willing to be a guinnea pig of sorts, so if you have a modification idea and I like it, I just might add it to my list so you don't have to ruin your stock to see if it'd work!

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 4:56:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally I don't see the point of adding a VFG. I cannot see any non frustrating use especially as you state that you almost always shoot from sling supported positions. And I think the VFG might interfere with that. However, if this works for you then it works for you.

I have thought about adding a piece of picitinny rail to the stock itself just under the barrel so that I might be able to attach a small light when I'm hunting. You can see what I mean here. This might give you some ideas on mounting your rail.

As far as side mounting goes I think you're going to have a difficult time using it as intended if you mount it on the side. On my GSR I use a Wilderness Systems Ching sling and it's mounted in its traditional position and I don't see it working on its side and continue to give you the benefits that a Ching Sling provides.

The idea of the Scout Rifle was that it was something that you'd carry, could employ quickly, and once you had it set up you generally left it in its configuration for familiarity sake so you could continue to employ the rifle in the same manner over and over. I think you might find it frustrating to continually switch your sling back and forth and might end up costing you some shots.

If you want a more traditional sling set up for humping it through the woods you may want to look into some sort of detachable 2 point sling system. The poster CoyoteGray added a 2 point sling to his and you can see it in the GSR picture thread here. It's on the first page about the 5th or 6th post down. In that manner you could leave the Ching Sling on and attach a two point sling as the need arose.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:42:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Everyone likes their rifle set up the way they like it.  I'm not all about a VFG on a GSR but if it suits your needs then go for it.  I just got up the nerve to cut my 700 bolt knob off and add a Tac Ops oversize knob and my butt hole was puckering the whole time I was doing it so I like to do my own mods too.  The picatinny rail would be a cool idea and should be fairly easy to do so post pics when done.  As far as the sling, there are a ton of options out there that IMO work great with the standard sling swivel studs.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 7:29:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Thanks for the input guys. My initial thinking on the Grip Pod is that I want to have a lightweight bipod that I can carry in pocket, attach quickly if the situation arose. I have used a Harris bipod on my friend's Savage and don't particularly like it and would be a chore to to use with one attached all the time. For the most part, I wouldn't use it but there are times when a bipod is advantageous. Plus, with a short 2 or 3 inch rail, I could mount a light for hog hunting as jerrwhy suggested.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top