Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2021 10:17:02 AM EDT
Hey everyone, I have a few SBR questions.  A couple years ago I decided I wanted to do an SBR, more for the "cool" factor than anything else.  I ended up deciding to do what I thought was a retro-style build.  Again, more for looks and as a range toy than anything else.  It's just a basic 10.5" upper with front sight and carry handle.  The upper runs great and has definitely been a lot of fun to shoot and everyone always wants to check it out when I bring it to range days.  That being said, I've gotten more serious in terms of my actual needs I've been thinking about turning this SBR into something that actually serves a purpose as opposed to just a range toy.  

So my first question is, are suppressors pretty much mandatory for SBRs these days?  Or can it still serve a defensive purpose without a suppressor?  Most SBRs I see on all the forums are outfitted with cans.

Second question is, what role or purpose would a 10.5" 5.56 SBR be best suited for realistically?

Third question, if I do decide to build a more serious upper what are some decent optic choices?  Keep in mind, this will not be a duty weapon or anything like that, but I would like to incorporate it into my home defense strategy.  Thanks!

Link Posted: 8/9/2021 11:01:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
1.So my first question is, are suppressors pretty much mandatory for SBRs these days?  Or can it still serve a defensive purpose without a suppressor?  Most SBRs I see on all the forums are outfitted with cans.

2.Second question is, what role or purpose would a 10.5" 5.56 SBR be best suited for realistically?

3.Third question, if I do decide to build a more serious upper what are some decent optic choices?  Keep in mind, this will not be a duty weapon or anything like that, but I would like to incorporate it into my home defense strategy.  Thanks!

View Quote
1. No, Yes.
2. Subjective. Home Defense, Range Fun.
3. Subjective. Red Dot for HD. Aimpoint, Trijicon, HoloSun etc...
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. When I did my Form 1 on the lower, the SBRs were just cool to me and I saw them on all the forums. Now it seems like you hardly see an SBR without also having a can. It’s kind of like how it’s sacrilege now to have an AR without an optic, sling, and light. Just checking to see if it’s the same now with having and SBR but no suppressor.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I think it’s mostly because short barrel rifles tend to be much more enjoyable to shoot with a suppressor.  SBRs in rifle calibers tend to be a bit louder and have more blast (especially if you use a muzzle brake), and a suppressor takes care of both of these issues.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 11:55:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I think most people have SBRs because they have suppressors and want to reduce the OAL, personally I wouldn’t have an SBR if I didn’t have a suppressor.

My suggestion would be to put together another upper, one for the original purpose and one for more serious use.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think most people have SBRs because they have suppressors and want to reduce the OAL, personally I wouldn’t have an SBR if I didn’t have a suppressor.

My suggestion would be to put together another upper, one for the original purpose and one for more serious use.
View Quote

So I guess what I'm saying is do I need to budget for a suppressor also if I plan on putting together a more serious upper too?
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So I guess what I'm saying is do I need to budget for a suppressor also if I plan on putting together a more serious upper too?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Need? Probably not.

I think it would be worth doing though.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 3:12:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Need? Probably not.

I think it would be worth doing though.
View Quote
Agreed.

Warrior Poet guy is against a can for HD, he thinks it should be as loud as possible. I do see the advantages however.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Agreed.

Warrior Poet guy is against a can for HD, he thinks it should be as loud as possible. I do see the advantages however.
View Quote

Then that leads to me another question (sorry I end up going down rabbit holes very easily).  Should I do a 300BlK instead of 5.56?  If I'm going SBR for home defense, should I opt for the Blackout on a shorty?
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 3:44:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Then that leads to me another question (sorry I end up going down rabbit holes very easily).  Should I do a 300BlK instead of 5.56?  If I'm going SBR for home defense, should I opt for the Blackout on a shorty?
View Quote
5.56 imho. While many have great luck with 300bo, every time I go down that path I am not satisfied with reliability or power however setup right with a can is is crazy quiet using subs but Like I said I would not want it for hd. Just me.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#10]
My HD SBR has a suppressor because shooting 5.56 unsuppressed in an enclosed space is excruciatingly loud.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#11]
SBRs without cans are just uncivilized.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#12]
First question I have when you say SBR, exactly how short are you talking?

In the "pistol" length barrels, somewhere in the 10" range, 300 BO is going to have nearly double the kinetic energy with a 110 grain bullet vs a 5.56 with a 55 grain bullet.

IMHO, between the two, 300 BO all the way for an SBR.  I know, I know, some have issues getting their 300 BO shorty to run right, but I've seen short 5.56's with issues too.  If you don't reload at all, then 300 is going to have the issue of finding ammo and when you do, it's more expensive.  If you do reload, then it's a different story.  5.56/223 cases (which the 300 is based on) are stupid easy to convert to 300 (and there are frequently tons of 5.56/223 brass laying around on ranges).  I've got a pretty decent stock pile of 300 ammo and to date I haven't spent a single dime on 300 brass or commercial ammo, just powder, bullets, and primers.

Physics is physics, there's nothing magical about 223/5.56.  It's a 22, it sits somewhere between the 222 Rem and the 22-250 in terms of velocity.  It has a narrower range of bullet weights/types than 300 too.  If you are going for HD, then 300 is the choice.  You get more energy on target and a much broader range of bullet weights and types.  I'll take a bigger, heavier, expanding/fragmenting type bullet for that scenario any day.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 10:24:20 PM EDT
[#13]
OP if I were you, I'd buy a can right now.  The YHM Turbo T2 can be had through silencer shop for about $450.  Add Tax and a Tax stamp ($200) and you are around $700.  Shoot irons or buy a budget red dot like a Holosun and shoot that while throwing cash aside to buy a Aimpoint Pro or even a ACO.

I'd keep the rifle you have now.  I have a 10.3" with a YHM 30 cal can (Phantom LT) and it's about as long as a 16"carbine with can on.  I have another 10.3"with a free float handguard (ie no FSB) and a YHM 5.56 titanium and it's a little shorter.

I do fire both rifles without a can as well, but I shoot outdoors and outdoor ranges.  I have been extremely lucky in the fact that my DD 10.3"barrel and AndroCorp Crane Spec barrels have ran fantastic with SpringCo Blue springs and H2 buffers.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top