Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2021 5:31:43 PM EDT
Got my lower engraved but the engraving is pretty faint. It's "barely can feel it with a fingernail" light but it is visible (in the right lighting ). Got it done at a trophy shop and I don't think they were set up to do it. I have two dogs that I'm pretty attached to, should I be concerned?
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Serious question: why did you have it engraved?  Was it to customize it?  Or where you marking it for a particular use?
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Serious question: why did you have it engraved?  Was it to customize it?  Or where you marking it for a particular use?
View Quote
Since we're in the SBR forum, one could make the assumption that he made a short barreled rifle and had it engraved with the maker's name, city and state.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Since we're in the SBR forum, one could make the assumption that he made a short barreled rifle and had it engraved with the maker's name, city and state.
View Quote

Affirmative, it was engraved with the maker's name, city and state since that's what some people on the internet said to do. I know it's debated about whether it's actually a requirement, but it's the route I went. I'm not especially worried about an AUSA presenting measurements of the engraving on my lower to a grand jury, I just wanted to see what others had to say, was all.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#5]
The trophy shop owner who did mine also did engraving for Alexander Arms. When I asked about the depth of mine, he told me that an ATF agent told him that there is no spec'ed method to measure the depth of engraving. It might not be 0.003" deep, but they have no approved method to measure it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The trophy shop owner who did mine also did engraving for Alexander Arms. When I asked about the depth of mine, he told me that an ATF agent told him that there is no spec'ed method to measure the depth of engraving. It might not be 0.003" deep, but they have no approved method to measure it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/7/2021 2:19:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 2:54:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
^^^
This.

If the ATF tags you for the quality of your SBR engraving, you have already done something much more serious to warrant their attention.
View Quote

^^^
This.

That being said, when we engrave firearm required markings, we go significantly over the minimum requirement.  We also Cerakote, so we're also making sure that if it's coated, the information is still distinct.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn’t know that was a thing. I thought you paid for the stamp and just had to keep it with the gun.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Not to worry, some of the guns I have the maker's name and address is so light I could probably scratch it off with my fingernail, the only thing on the gun that seems
to have a lot of attention (read depth) to it is the serial number.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:17:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I didn’t know that was a thing. I thought you paid for the stamp and just had to keep it with the gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Examiners used to say "Must engrave per NFA" in the comments section. All of my F1 stuff has never had any comments. Anyone get any recently that say "Must engrave per NFA"?

Brad
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#12]
When I used to do the paper form 1 I would put my name, city,state in the box.  Never filled it out on the Eforms and have almost 20 approved on those.
I have all mine engraved because that's what they want and I don't give a crap because if I ever get to the point where I have to start selling
my form 1 stuff I'm in deep shit already and having my name on a firearm I want to sell is the least of my worries.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Examiners used to say "Must engrave per NFA" in the comments section. All of my F1 stuff has never had any comments. Anyone get any recently that say "Must engrave per NFA"?

Brad
View Quote

They all do if you read the directions
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 10:40:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, I have read the directions and all of my stuff is engraved. Just wondering if anyone had their examiner specifically hand write it on their paperwork.

Brad
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes, I have read the directions and all of my stuff is engraved. Just wondering if anyone had their examiner specifically hand write it on their paperwork.

Brad
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brad

Seen it rubber stamped near examiner's signature.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Spikes Tactical engraved one of my lowers many years ago where it was just barely scratched into the metal.  At that time there was most certainly a .003" minimum engraving depth and there were guidelines that stated it had to be at least .003 inch deep from the surrounding flat surface, not necessarily from the top of the edge of the markings, such as if it were stamped in and the edges were elevated.  That's being pretty specific and I don't know if the NFA still states that or not in the NFA handbook.  Whether or not it will ever likely be inspected, I am not one to poke the bear so I had it re-engraved by someone who actually followed the then NFA guidelines.  Needed or not, I sleep better knowing that if push ever came to shove, that is one less thing I have to worry about.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 12:45:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I had one done by a trophy shop, had them make several passes with their machine. It’s probably right at the minimum for spec but I feel if they are measuring my SBR engraving I have done  something way more egregious and they are just looking for freebies!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top