Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2017 12:44:15 PM EDT
I have been doing a lot of reading concerning my new SBR build with suppressor.  I really want the rifle to be compact.  I have decided, after much thinking about it, to go with the 7.5" barrel with the silencer rated for that length.  Now I need to figure out what length to put on Form 1.  I laid the 7.5" AR pistol on top of an existing similar lower with a Magpul stock and adjusted the stock to full length.  I removed both flash hiders.I measured the length from the longest part of the Magpul to the front of the pistol barrel.  It was 25 1/4".  I checked the 7.5" barrel using a long dowel and it was 7 3/8".
A lot of suff on the internet indicates a 7.5" AR should be 26 1/2" long.  Am I overthinking this?  I am thinking I should put the 25 1/4" on Form 1.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Close is good enough...as long as it's a plausible/possible length; the ATF doesn't care.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Close is good enough...as long as it's a plausible/possible length; the ATF doesn't care.
View Quote
This.

I'd just put 26" for OAL and 7.5" for barrel length and call it a day.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I removed both flash hiders.I measured the length from the longest part of the Magpul to the front of the pistol barrel.  It was 25 1/4".  I checked the 7.5" barrel using a long dowel and it was 7 3/8".
View Quote
OAL can be measured with the flash hider installed, maybe that's the disconnect you're experiencing.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:07:30 AM EDT
[#4]
If you measure it, and record a length, that's the length it is.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the inputs.  My concern was the 26" definition of SBR along with the under 16" barrel.  One thing for certain, the rifle I am building surely is a SBR.  Time will tell if I find the short barrel is OK or do I try out a 10.5" to see if there is much difference.  The whole process is fun and enjoyable learning about all this new stuff. Again, thanks to all in the Forum that take the time to read and to read and reply to questions.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My concern was the 26" definition of SBR along with the under 16" barrel. 
View Quote
Sounds like you might have a bit of a misunderstanding of the federal "SBR" definition.

A rifle is a Short-barreled Rifle when it has a barrel less than 16 inches long, -OR-, it has an overall length less than 26 inches long.

The key word there is "or", meaning the only one of the two conditions need be met for it to be an SBR, not both.

As an aside, that's why the Tavor bullpup rifles come with a 16.5" barrel instead of a 16" barrel.  The 16.5" barrel gets the OAL to just a bit over 26".  If they had a 16" barrel, their OAL would be under 26" and they'd have to sell them as SBRs.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sounds like you might have a bit of a misunderstanding of the federal "SBR" definition.

A rifle is a Short-barreled Rifle when it has a barrel less than 16 inches long, -OR-, it has an overall length less than 26 inches long.

The key word there is "or", meaning the only one of the two conditions need be met for it to be an SBR, not both.

As an aside, that's why the Tavor bullpup rifles come with a 16.5" barrel instead of a 16" barrel.  The 16.5" barrel gets the OAL to just a bit over 26".  If they had a 16" barrel, their OAL would be under 26" and they'd have to sell them as SBRs.
View Quote
Thank you for that info. Didn't know that about the Tavor
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top