Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2016 2:35:58 AM EDT
Anyone here cut down their SLR? I'm wanting to tackle this myself and looking for some guidance on the process from those that have done it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:41:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Take off the thread protector, then take a washer with a diameter larger than the barrel. Next push it against the back of the barrel snug against the threads and tape it there, I used painters tape however whatever you have to keep it from moving will work. Next get a new hacksaw blade and put it flush against the washer and start cutting using the washer as a guide. Once this is complete you'll want to file the end of the barrel getting rid of the cut marks and squaring everything up. Then take a brass screw and some valve polishing compound and use a drill to put a crown on it clean the barrel of any metal shavings and go shoot that bad boy. Mine was a 104ur for reference.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#2]
The 107UR needs to have the gas port open up as well. This is easier to do before you cut the barrel down.

You will need to knock the pins out of the front sight, press off gas block/front sight, open up port to 3mm and reinstall. Then cut crown barrel.

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#3]
If you don't open up the port you will have a single shot AK as the gun will not cycle. If you have any more questions let me know.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 107UR needs to have the gas port open up as well. This is easier to do before you cut the barrel down.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/94SVTsnake/2015-07/BD389EE9-D5EE-4C65-A34A-DDA5A5D3447C.jpg

You will need to knock the pins out of the front sight, press off gas block/front sight, open up port to 3mm and reinstall. Then cut crown barrel.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/94SVTsnake/2015-07/20320658-DC0B-48D7-9B70-A1AF9120AB00.jpg
View Quote

Thanks. I was afraid of that.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Take off the thread protector, then take a washer with a diameter larger than the barrel. Next push it against the back of the barrel snug against the threads and tape it there, I used painters tape however whatever you have to keep it from moving will work. Next get a new hacksaw blade and put it flush against the washer and start cutting using the washer as a guide. Once this is complete you'll want to file the end of the barrel getting rid of the cut marks and squaring everything up. Then take a brass screw and some valve polishing compound and use a drill to put a crown on it clean the barrel of any metal shavings and go shoot that bad boy. Mine was a 104ur for reference.
View Quote

Thank you. Very helpful instructions.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine didn't have a restrictor.  BE540 is the first part of my SN.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Mine didn't have a restrictor.  BE540 is the first part of my SN.
View Quote

Is there a way to tell without removing the gas block?
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 5:23:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Is there a way to tell without removing the gas block?
View Quote

Not that Im aware of.  I had to shoot it to find out.  I also just realized that yours is a 107 and mine is a 104.  Thats probably why mine didn't have a restrictor.  Sorry about that.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#9]
As far as I'm aware all 107's have the restrictor.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:06:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I plan on just sending mine to someone to open it up and chop the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:14:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I did exactly this on my 107CR. Came out perfect.
Quoted:
Take off the thread protector, then take a washer with a diameter larger than the barrel. Next push it against the back of the barrel snug against the threads and tape it there.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top