Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2015 7:42:08 AM EDT
I can get a deal on a few of these, just a little nervous as to how short the barrel is (velocity, etc)

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:01:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:03:28 AM EDT
[#2]
If you want a conventional rifle? No, I wouldn't recommend one.
If you want a PDW style firearm? Yes, I would say it would make a decent one, and VLTOR is a good company. If you can get a good price on one, I would buy it, if I were you. Dig around a little, there are some videos of 7.5" barrels performing decently well with newer, more effective loads.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:05:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It depends on what your version of a good deal is, and your intended use for the SBR.
View Quote

This rifle would be a home defense/room clearing rifle, which I think it fits that role nicely.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:05:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you want a PDW style firearm? Yes, I would say it would make a decent one, and VLTOR is a good company. If you can get a good price on one, I would buy it, if I were you. Dig around a little, there are some videos of 7.5" barrels performing decently well with newer, more effective loads.
View Quote

Interesting, thank you.  Any suggestions on which ammo to research?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:09:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anything with the lighter weight Barnes TTSX.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:37:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1758061_7_5__223__AR_pistol_a_legit_short_range_SD_weapon_.html

Here's a pretty good start for you. There's another link I saw very recently, but I can't seem to dig it back up. I'll get back to you if I can find it.

ETA: The one thing I will tell you, that rifle is going to be very loud. I would definitely consider suppressing it, a few suppressors have come out over the last few years that will warranty a 7.5" AR.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:06:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yup.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1758061_7_5__223__AR_pistol_a_legit_short_range_SD_weapon_.html

Here's a pretty good start for you. There's another link I saw very recently, but I can't seem to dig it back up. I'll get back to you if I can find it.

ETA: The one thing I will tell you, that rifle is going to be very loud. I would definitely consider suppressing it, a few suppressors have come out over the last few years that will warranty a 7.5" AR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

Thank you!  Looks like I have some research to do
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:22:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:18:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sounds like your mind is already made up.  Enjoy it.  

If this is a 7.5, I would treat it as a fun toy, and not a fighting weapon.  I know teams that have engaged at fairly close distance, and been horribly disappointed with that size, even with decent ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It depends on what your version of a good deal is, and your intended use for the SBR.

This rifle would be a home defense/room clearing rifle, which I think it fits that role nicely.

Sounds like your mind is already made up.  Enjoy it.  

If this is a 7.5, I would treat it as a fun toy, and not a fighting weapon.  I know teams that have engaged at fairly close distance, and been horribly disappointed with that size, even with decent ammo.

Thanks, Stickman.

Just got word that it is actually a 9" 416R SS barrel chambered in .223 Wylde 1:8 Twist, and here is a picture of the upper.  Im assuming the 9" will make this a more formideable defense weapon?  It's almost like a SBR7, atleast visually,  but has a different barrel:

Specifics:
"Vltor MUR-1A, Vltor CASV-M handguard with a CCT Defense 9" 416R SS barrel chambered in .223 Wylde 1:8 Twist. Flash Hider is a Smith Enterprise Vortex."
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#11]
For legit defensive purposes, nothing shorter than 10.3-10.5"......that's my rule of thumb.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top