Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2015 8:57:24 PM EDT
I filed on 3-17 and I've been watching for an approval for the last couple of days. Today I check it and I got the disapproval. The reason given is "serial # contains alpha prefix, please resubmit with correct serial. Refund in process."
What the heck. I'm guessing the letters before the numbers is part of the serial #. I thought the serial # was the numbers.
 AAA  121212    
 CAL-MILTI
So tell me if I got it right. Serial would be AAA  121212 when I resubmit.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I should probably add that despite what some think I'm not totally ignorant.   The AAA part contains an S and an N, and because its above the CAL stamp I figured it was not part of the actual number.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, the letters would be part of the serial number.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 1:59:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Are they not approving all lowers with a letter in the serial? I hope not, mine starts with PEW
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are they not approving all lowers with a letter in the serial? I hope not, mine starts with PEW
View Quote

I think you read the OP incorrectly - he DIDN'T include the letters on his form, that's why it was rejected.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 2:50:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Derp. My ex wife was tarded, now she's a pilot.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Haven't had a chance to resubmit yet due to work. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get it done and email Ted. Hopefully he can help me out with it. Lord knows I don't want to wait 3 more months. My suppressor should be here by then.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 2:36:31 AM EDT
[#8]
They should have just sent you an error letter and the form to correct.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 5:44:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#10]
You will need to create and submit a new form with a new tax payment.  The disapproved form cannot be edited or copied and resubmitted.  The tax paid for the disapproval will be refunded.  When you submit a new application, please let us know that this is a correction by forwarding to us this email and the new control number to us so we can evaluate the processing of the new application.

Nope they don't, above is the official email back to me from Gary S.    I was disapproved after filing on 3/17 , for not including the alpha prefix on a spike's serial #, funny thing is my last form was approved without the alpha prefix, so I assumed they just wanted the # only, not complaining......I've emailed Gary and resubmitted so hopefully everything will turn out ok....but there is a learning curve to this, that seems to be best learned from mistakes, like life...we don't learn much from our successes .

Judgement comes from experience, great judgement comes from bad experience

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 10:58:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I finally got time to resubmit my entire form 1. After I got the email response from atf I sent Ted Clutter an email and included the new control number and a brief explanation. I'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Also I never got an email about the incorrect form 1, just saw the disapproval when I logged into my account.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I think you actually have to specify a caliber, not Multi.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:40:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yup
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

I saw that too.  Hopefully he did or else he will be doing it over yet again.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

$600
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:52:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You will need to create and submit a new form with a new tax payment.  The disapproved form cannot be edited or copied and resubmitted.  The tax paid for the disapproval will be refunded.  When you submit a new application, please let us know that this is a correction by forwarding to us this email and the new control number to us so we can evaluate the processing of the new application.

Nope they don't, above is the official email back to me from Gary S.    I was disapproved after filing on 3/17 , for not including the alpha prefix on a spike's serial #, funny thing is my last form was approved without the alpha prefix, so I assumed they just wanted the # only, not complaining......I've emailed Gary and resubmitted so hopefully everything will turn out ok....but there is a learning curve to this, that seems to be best learned from mistakes, like life...we don't learn much from our successes .

Judgement comes from experience, great judgement comes from bad experience

View Quote

Worked out just fine  approved in less than 24 hrs by guess who.....yep Ted Clutter

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:56:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
$600
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup

$600
Ha!   hell'uva a way to save money.......kinda like a christmas club

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:30:18 PM EDT
[#18]
No Ha, I used the AAA 121212
                             Cal-  Multi
as a reference for how it was stamped on the receiver, not saying I listed the cal. as multi.  I try to make only one mistake per form. I may be new to building my own but I did  read that about 1200 times on every forum on the interweb.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:21:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

No Ha, I used the AAA 121212

Cal-  Multi

as a reference for how it was stamped on the receiver, not saying I listed the cal. as multi.  I try to make only one mistake per form. I may be new to building my own but I did  read that about 1200 times on every forum on the interweb.
View Quote
I hope you did not use cal=multi.....that will bounce it

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:13:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Thats strange that your was kicked back, I just had a spike receiver that was approved on a form 1 with out the letters in the serial number
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:21:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thats strange that your was kicked back, I just had a spike receiver that was approved on a form 1 with out the letters in the serial number
View Quote

Still not the strangest thing they've approved.
I'm pretty sure the approvals are best off whatever mood they're in at the moment.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:17:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

And that was my big concern when I talked to the ATF trying to straighten this out months ago. You technically don't have a form that matches the firearm, as the serial number includes the alpha characters. Yes, common sense should explain it to an ATF agent, but the numeric-only SN doesn't exist except for on your piece of paper.

Your situation is definitely the exception to the rule. It never should've been approved that way. I got involved with Gary, Ted and some others, plus John at Spike's when this issue first came up with forms being Approved/Disapproved in error.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that was my big concern when I talked to the ATF trying to straighten this out months ago. You technically don't have a form that matches the firearm, as the serial number includes the alpha characters. Yes, common sense should explain it to an ATF agent, but the numeric-only SN doesn't exist except for on your piece of paper.

Your situation is definitely the exception to the rule. It never should've been approved that way. I got involved with Gary, Ted and some others, plus John at Spike's when this issue first came up with forms being Approved/Disapproved in error.

Should I try and correct it or just roll with the punches. Other than forum members do you think a normal joe is going to be able to recognize the error?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:19:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure the approvals are best off whatever mood they're in at the moment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I get that feeling too. Whoever is in charge changes their mind like my wife and her shoes
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:18:43 PM EDT
[#25]
APPROVED!!!  
I have to hand it to Ted Clutter, he is the man.  2 days after resubmitting It was approved by Mr. Clutter. I'm sure I'll never see him but if I ever did I would surely buy him a beer.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm glad it all worked out for you. I'm gonna have to remember the letters on my next one
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I thought it was the row header. Thats why I didn't include it on the form 1. Easy to read to much or to little into it. All I know is next time If I have an alpha prefix I will definately put it on the form.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:53:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I understand why people did, to a point. It does look like a row header, especially with the different font. However, there's no logical explanation for why it (SBR) would be a row header like MOD or CAL.

I sent an email to Gary and Ted, and will post a reply for anybody interested.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought it was the row header. Thats why I didn't include it on the form 1. Easy to read to much or to little into it. All I know is next time If I have an alpha prefix I will definately put it on the form.

I understand why people did, to a point. It does look like a row header, especially with the different font. However, there's no logical explanation for why it (SBR) would be a row header like MOD or CAL.

I sent an email to Gary and Ted, and will post a reply for anybody interested.

I will be, thanks for the inquiry
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top