Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2015 11:14:52 PM EDT
Couple questions regarding SBR E-filing a Form 1

I signed in the ATF website and started my paperwork for a e-filed form 1. Got a couple questions

1. Do I have to upload a completed Cert of Compliance, ATF Form 5330.20, with the Trust upload or is it completed (or are you prompted to complete it) during the e-filing of the form 1
2. My build will be from a stripped receiver when approved. Do you list the stripped receiver by serial number in the trust schedule A. or wait  for approval then list it as a completed rifle in the trust schedule A.   Basically does the ATF want to see the stripped receiver in the trust as a asset at time of application?

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:56:08 PM EDT
[#1]
1. No. You only have to upload the trust. It has to be low resolution (I think less than 3mb).   http://johnpierceesq.com/?p=546

2.  You don't list the lower in schedule A until it is approved.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:58:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I assign any form 1 items that's are made from an existing firearm to my trust previous to submitting.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:12:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I assign any form 1 items that's are made from an existing firearm to my trust previous to submitting.
View Quote

Ditto. It makes sense that if the trust is making an SBR from an existing firearm that the trust already owns said firearm.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:18:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:27:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
1. No. You only have to upload the trust. It has to be low resolution (I think less than 3mb).   http://johnpierceesq.com/?p=546

2.  You don't list the lower in schedule A until it is approved.
View Quote

This.

You could list the lower in Schedule A even though it's not technically correct, but why bother?  It's just another chance to f something up.

KEEP IT SIMPLE.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You could list the lower in Schedule A even though it's not technically correct, but why bother?  It's just another chance to f something up.
View Quote

It is equally "technically correct" to list the lower or to not list the lower, as long as (in most states) the trust owns something.  There is no technical or legal reason that the lower shouldn't be listed on the Schedule A/owned by the trust at the time the Form 1 is filed, nor is there a technical or legal reason that it must be.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#7]
My interpretation regarding the stripped receiver was the same; list it or don't list it, either way as okay.  I was curious if recent e-file submits were being rejected or being returned for correction because it was or wasn't listed.

Hope to complete my e-filing form 1 today.

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was curious if recent e-file submits were being rejected or being returned for correction because it was or wasn't listed.
View Quote

The only copy of my Schedule A that the ATF has ever seen looks like this:

Every paper form and eForm...and all (20+) have been approved. Six more eForms pending right now, and that's the same copy that was sent in.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, btw that's exactly what mine looks like, $200 cash.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:53:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It is equally "technically correct" to list the lower or to not list the lower, as long as (in most states) the trust owns something.  There is no technical or legal reason that the lower shouldn't be listed on the Schedule A/owned by the trust at the time the Form 1 is filed, nor is there a technical or legal reason that it must be.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, because the Form 1 you are submitting is the application to manufacture the SBR which is the lower; putting the lower in the Schedule before approved is not correct, but will be once approved and engraved.  Did you engrave before approval?  Oops.

Oh, well, why split hairs, the point is, and I'll say again, if there is no requirement to do so, and there isn't, then don't; it only complicates things and gives the applicant another chance to screw up (like putting down the wrong S/N or whatever).

I'll say this again, too:  for Pete's sake, KEEP IT SIMPLE.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx151/thegreghorton/Mobile%20Uploads/C79DAB69-65C2-4EBB-8B61-CE7E84FC67AD_zpslnndvk8e.jpg

Every paper form and eForm...and all (20+) have been approved. Six more eForms pending right now, and that's the same copy that was sent in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was curious if recent e-file submits were being rejected or being returned for correction because it was or wasn't listed.

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx151/thegreghorton/Mobile%20Uploads/C79DAB69-65C2-4EBB-8B61-CE7E84FC67AD_zpslnndvk8e.jpg

Really? I thought you had to list everything that you had on the trust there. Maybe this is why mine always take forever....
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I listed the lower I am going to SBR. I was advised to do so by a lawyer.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:58:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No, because the Form 1 you are submitting is the application to manufacture the SBR which is the lower; putting the lower in the Schedule before approved is not correct, but will be once approved and engraved.  Did you engrave before approval?  Oops.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Form 1 is an application to make (not manufacture) an SBR.  An AR lower is not an SBR, ever.  You already have the lower in hand.  You will be transferring it to the trust at some point (whether on paper or not) before the SBR is complete, because it's the trust that's got the tax stamp.  It is perfectly appropriate (though not required, as long as the trust owns something) to do that before you file the Form 1.  It's also perfectly appropriate to engrave it before approval.  Heck, you can engrave it before you file.  You can engrave it even if you never intend to file.  The only legal requirement on timing of engraving is that it be done before the SBR is assembled.
Oh, well, why split hairs,

Because you're wrong.  And when you're wrong, you can expect to be challenged.  If you said you recommended against adding the lower to the Schedule A before you get the Form 1 back, no problem--you're entitled to your opinion, even if I think you're awfully concerned that someone might not be able to copy down a serial number correctly (after all, you can do it on the Form 1).  But when you say it's "not technically correct" to put the lower on the Schedule A before filing, you're wrong--just like you're wrong when you say that there's a requirement that you always be able to return an SBR to the Form 1 configuration.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:09:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Really? I thought you had to list everything that you had on the trust there. Maybe this is why mine always take forever....
View Quote

They just want the trust to be valid. Keep the updated copy at home. No need to rescan a new copy each time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top