Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2015 12:20:21 PM EDT
I have everything figured out for my next build.  11.5 SBR that will be suppressed with a saker 7.62.   I can't figure out what handguard to go with though so I'm posting this for some direction or pics.  I had settled on the KAC URXII MID but just noticed it takes a special tool to install and if not done right, you may have issues.

I guess I'm left with a 10.0 rail for this build.   I've heard Centurion 10.0 is good as well as DD 10.0.

Anyone have any pics or personal preferences for any rails.   I like the longer, closer to flush look.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:49:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Go with the URX.  It's a beautiful fit and great light rail.  They're stupid simple to install...one of the easiest rails I've ever done.  If you can't borrow a wrench buy one and then sell it.  I believe member UncleMoak just make a run of his aftermarket wrenches so look him up for a cheaper alternative.  If you don't have something like a PRI block to align the rail with the upper receiver before tightening the barrel nut you can use a solid scope mount to get the same result (that's how I installed my first URX).

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#2]
BCM KMR  I sold my Colt 6933 upper and replaced it with a BCM BFH 11.5 upper with a KMR rail.  Absolutely love it!  It's so lightweight and looks like it's a super easy install.  This is my new favorite rail.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#3]
BCM KMR, do it.. youll fall in love..

this is my 10.5" with a 9"kmr, yours will look the same just an inch longer, since you have a 11.5" and will need a 10"KMR

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I really like the look of the URX II MID that CMS posted better than any of the others on a 11.5 build.  I will have to see about borrowing/buying a wrench.  

Alan
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really like the look of the URX II MID that CMS posted better than any of the others on a 11.5 build.  I will have to see about borrowing/buying a wrench.  

Alan
View Quote

Another feature I enjoy is the heat shield.  Most lightweight rails these days lack any form of heat shield, and after long strings of fire become uncomfortable to handle without decent gloves.  There are plenty of good options out there...choose one that fills your requirements.  The only down side to any of KAC's URX line is the requirement to buy a wrench, where other companies often include one.  Once you get past that hurtle it's easy.  Your URX collection will grow quickly.  Best of luck!
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#6]
The Centurion IS the best IMO that uses the standard barrel nut.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#7]
i used an 11" NSR, and use a specwar 7.62 with it. only took a gemtech 1/2 turn spacer to get the clearance needed.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:28:27 PM EDT
[#8]
And if you want something thinner there's always the URX 3.1 midlength.  Only downside is that it does not come with an integrated front sight, which is a great feature and adds value to the URX 2 and 3 rails (saves you $100+ on a front BUIS....and offsets the cost of the wrench anyways).  Unfortunately, AFAIK, KAC never made a mid length URX 3.  It would have been my ideal rail.

http://www.kingopticusa.com/KAC_Mid_length_URX_3_1_p/kac30590.htm

Here's a full length URX 3 I built for a friend on a LW 14.5" barrel....

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I was in the exact same boat...rifle is built, suppressor is in jail. I was either going to build with a URX and send the parts to Ayan at boltcarrier for proper assembly, or go lighter and pick up an 11.5 BCM with the KMR. I don't think it is possible to go wrong with either choice, so I went with the cheaper option which was BCM with free bcg.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Centurion is where it's at

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 6:07:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Alan
View Quote

Do yourself a favor and go on more than 'looks'.  See if you can get hands on one before you decide.  The URXii is heavy as hell by today's standards and I personally just ditched one for a 10" KMR.  Don't regret it for a second.

before

after
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 4:24:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Definitely go with the URX II, it is awesome

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#13]
My DD RIS II rail is nice. It is very light weight, strong, and narrow. I have fairly small hands and I can get a comfortable grip around it with the ladder rail covers and a AFG.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:04:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Not trying to jack this thread but what muzzle device is that?  Ferfrans?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#15]
10" KMR.  Have JUST enough room to mount the G5 or HVT
ETA: After you use the thick shim.

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's the SSS QD Brake Shield for an AAC 51T mount. I put it on when I go to the range since the muzzle brake kills the ears in an indoor range
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I like the 10in apex gator
http://www.apexhandguard.com/2250-ar15-10-375-ext-mid-length-with-cutout-9-4-oz-with-hardware-apex-gatorgrip-handguard/
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#18]
There's no reason to buy any handguard other than the KMR right now in my opinion.

I've had two Troy Alpha rails and one KMR. I just bought a second KMR to replace my 9" Alpha and sell it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#19]
11" Noveske NSR

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:17:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:28:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There's no reason to buy any handguard other than the KMR right now in my opinion.

I've had two Troy Alpha rails and one KMR. I just bought a second KMR to replace my 9" Alpha and sell it.
View Quote

I see keymod as the flavor of the month for now. We'll see where it goes but I've yet to find any reason to "upgrade" my current rails. Not enough (or any in my eyes) improvment.

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:26:55 PM EDT
[#22]
DD, enough said
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 4:13:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I see keymod as the flavor of the month for now. We'll see where it goes but I've yet to find any reason to "upgrade" my current rails. Not enough (or any in my eyes) improvment.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's about more than just Keymod. The KMR is crazy light, feels amazing in the hand, is very narrow, has an octagonal profile instead of picatinny rails which are square, has a barrel nut that doesn't require timing, and anti-rotation without requiring proprietary modifications to the upper (e.g. the NSR.)

Plus, it's Keymod. Directly attaching accessories to the handguard without a need for mounting interfaces is awesome. I have a BCM sling mount and VFG on mine. They both mount directly and are very low profile. I'm completely sold on Keymod, and see it as a huge improvement over picatinny rails. Of course picatinny has its place and won't go away, but Keymod is an excellent addition.

If you haven't tried a BCM upper with their new barrel profiles and the KMR handguard, you're missing out. Military Morons has a great write-up about the combo.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#24]

No love for the URX 4? Here's mine in 8 inches with 9.5 bbl.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think i'll retrofit my existing rifles, but I'm sure not going to buy quads any more.  Keymod gets my favor at the moment
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:14:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don't think i'll retrofit my existing rifles, but I'm sure not going to buy quads any more.  Keymod gets my favor at the moment
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree about not retrofitting them in general, I had a specific reason to upgrade otherwise I would have just stuck with the Alpha. A side benefit is that my rifle will drop several ounces in the process.

Alpha to KMR.
LaRue FUG to BCM Keymod short grip.
Two sections of metal rail to one section of plastic rail.

It should be noticeably lighter.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#27]
I've been looking around and do liket the keymod rails.  I may try a 10" KMR for this build.  

I like the Noveske NSR rails as well and they have 11" but I'm not sure it would work with a saker suppressor.  Probably not enough clearance?

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:29:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have everything figured out for my next build.  11.5 SBR that will be suppressed with a saker 7.62.   I can't figure out what handguard to go with though so I'm posting this for some direction or pics.  I had settled on the KAC URXII MID but just noticed it takes a special tool to install and if not done right, you may have issues.

I guess I'm left with a 10.0 rail for this build.   I've heard Centurion 10.0 is good as well as DD 10.0.

Anyone have any pics or personal preferences for any rails.   I like the longer, closer to flush look.

Thanks!
View Quote

Here's my BCM 11.5 with Saker mount

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:54:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Id go with the KMR
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:13:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Another vote for the KMR...definitely one of the top 3 rail systems out right now, if not the best IMO
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#31]
there are hundreds of choices. Probably need to narrow it down to what you want it to do.

What features are important? Function should determine what you buy, not whats popular, cool, new, etc... Unless its a safe queen meant to just look pretty in which case put some cool stickers on it!

Weight?
Dimensions? ie small or large grip, circle, square, oval, rectangle
quad rail?
keyhole rail?
are you mounting accessories like lights or lasers?
do you want it full length so you can grab at any position are keeping it short as possible to keep your hand away from suppressor and keep weight down.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:01:47 PM EDT
[#32]
If you happen to be around Pittsburgh I have a KAC URX wrench and a set of YHM picatinny vice jaws I'd let you borrow for the day or whatever, I used them both to install my URX II mid a few weeks ago and now they're just sitting around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top