Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2014 10:17:15 AM EDT
I am in the process of waiting for my first form 1 and I will be buying the pieces over the next few months to get the build I want. I am currently thinking about going with a 10.3 or 10.5 CHF barrel but I haven't ruled out a 12" barrel. It looks like Daniel Defense, Spikes and PSA all offer these.

Is paying for a DD going to be worth it in the long run? I don't have any expierence with any of these companies barrels. I've used PSA parts in the past and have always been happy (aside from shipping). The intent for this is mostly range use although after I take some classes it is possible it would replace the current bump in the night gun.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#1]
If you decide on a 12.5" barrel, I would highly recommend a Centurion Arms CHF barrel.  I have one and it is superb.

Of the companies that you listed, I only have experience with Daniel Defense (mine is 11.5").  It was pretty overgassed so I ended up buying an SLR Sentry gas block and got it adjusted correctly.  It's a pretty accurate barrel but I honestly haven't spent much time behind it yet.  I just eFiled another Form 1 for a dedicated lower for this upper (I had been swapping between 3 different uppers on my only SBR receiver) so I'll get more trigger time when my stamp comes back.

Though I wouldn't hesitate to pick up either of the other two barrels you mentioned if the price was right.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:37:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 10.5" 5.56 complete upper from PSA. Barrel is CHF. Was shooting around 2.5 MOA with 4x SWFA with a crappy rest. No failures with 50 rounds, suprressed or non-suppressed. I think I could get around 1.5 MOA with a good rest and higher mag optics.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#3]
For what it's worth (since I don't have one) spec-wise vs price-wise the PSA 12" upper is impossible to beat. $400 complete except for rear sight.

And you get more dwell-time goodness and lower pressures than the 10.x" barrels.

But you should read about PSA and their shipping and CS before ordering. Although it has supposedly been better lately.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:20:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:29:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I have 3 of the DD 11.5" Govt. contour barrels and they are all GTG. I have shot them on paper to 100yds and one is consistently just under a 1" group and the others are always under 1.5" at 100yds. All shooting 55gr Ultramax soft points (its the cheapest non FMJ I can find for hunting hogs).
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a 12' PSA chf barreled upper with PSA BCG. I have run about 1k rounds through it and it is under 2MOA with quality ammo from a supported shooting position. I have had no problems running anything through it in stock configuration. I decided to run it suppressed and have since switched out the gas block to an adjustable gas block from SLR.  No problems yet.  This upper was not as over gassed as a DD 10.3" but it still ran better unsuppressed after I tuned it w/ the adjustable gas block.

All in all it has proven to be a GREAT upper as it cost me $399 complete. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top