Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2014 1:44:28 PM EDT
Im interested in selling an SBR via gunbroker or on the EE.  What  do I need to do to keep te ATF appeased?
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Im interested in selling an SBR via gunbroker or on the EE.  What  do I need to do to keep te ATF appeased?
View Quote

Sell the halves separately and not worry about it.

If you sell it complete, in-state is simply a $200 F4 transfer. Crossing state lines will involve a dealer and two stamps, and that $400 usually puts it out of reach for somebody that would just build/buy one.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you sell it complete, in-state is simply a $200 F4 transfer. Crossing state lines will involve a dealer and two stamps, and that $400 usually puts it out of reach for somebody that would just build/buy one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly this.

It would be far less headache if you sold the upper on the EE and then sold the lower via local classifieds to avoid dealing with any of the ATF or FFL stuff.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:18:18 PM EDT
[#3]
We're assuming it's an SBR AR that can be parted out and sold. What specific type of firearm are you looking to sell, OP? (for more specific advice)

The one/two stamp transfers for in/out of state is correct. Another option is to have it removed from the NFA registry.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:25:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We're assuming it's an SBR AR that can be parted out and sold. What specific type of firearm are you looking to sell, OP? (for more specific advice)  
View Quote

Thanks for that...never safe to assume.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:18:49 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the replies.  The firearm in question is a 13.6" upper and sbr'd lower.  I used a form 1 when assembling the upper/lower.  Hope that gives a little more insight but it sounds like selling the upper/lower separately is the way to go.

Quoted:

The one/two stamp transfers for in/out of state is correct. Another option is to have it removed from the NFA registry.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Sell the upper, strip the lower and keep the stripped power as a paperweight. If you ever want to build another you don't have to do a new stamp, and you cam spend 50 for a lower to sell with your lower parts if you want.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:44:48 AM EDT
[#7]
legal question. Since I documented the length , mfg of the upper on my form 1, will my form 1 be invalid if I put an upper from another mfg on my SBR'd lower?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
legal question. Since I documented the length , mfg of the upper on my form 1, will my form 1 be invalid if I put an upper from another mfg on my SBR'd lower?
View Quote

Nope. You can change uppers. ATF requires notification for PERMANENT changes. Few changes to an AR15 are permanent.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:51:28 AM EDT
[#9]
excellent news.  Now to list my 13.6" POF upper on the EE and Gunbroker.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:01:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nope. You can change uppers. ATF requires notification for PERMANENT changes. Few changes to an AR15 are permanent.
View Quote

Nope.  They recommend notification. They can't require. But, as you point out, "permanent" is hard to define in the AR world.

Swap brands, lengths and calibers. Doesn't matter. (The mfg was associated with the lower anyway...)
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:18:15 AM EDT
[#11]
perhaps a friendly notification to be safe wouldn't be a bad idea.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:25:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
perhaps a friendly notification to be safe wouldn't be a bad idea.
View Quote

You're welcome to notify them if you sell the upper and replace it with a different <16" upper. It's not going to hurt anything. There's just no requirement to do so.

You can even file a 5320.20 for interstate transportation and list a different caliber/length and it'll be approved, whether it matches the F1 or the registry.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 3:04:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What am I missing about the two stamps? If you are selling out of state, can you have your dealer transfer it to the out of state dealer on a Form 3? The buyer then pays the $200 for his Form 4?

I'm missing the second stamp.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 3:07:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What am I missing about the two stamps? If you are selling out of state, can you have your dealer transfer it to the out of state dealer on a Form 3? The buyer then pays the $200 for his Form 4?

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks
You can't have a dealer possess NFA like that stamp one is to an out of state dealer. Stamp two is from that dealer to the new buyer.

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 3:21:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Ah. Rgr.  Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top