Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2013 9:25:00 AM EDT
I'll need to be having my lower engraved with trust info...who is doing it these days?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:19:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:30:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I go to my local mall with my Form 1 receivers at a chain store called "Things Remembered" that does engraved gifts.  You could also check with your local trophy shop.

I personally don't feel comfortable sending it out of state after I get a stamp on it so it is nice to have a local place to do it while you wait.

Call ahead to make sure bringing in the firearms receivers is okay (they prefer them with no furniture since it is harder to attach to the machine with the stock and buffer extension on).
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:34:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I go to my local mall with my Form 1 receivers at a chain store called "Things Remembered" that does engraved gifts.  You could also check with your local trophy shop.

I personally don't feel comfortable sending it out of state after I get a stamp on it so it is nice to have a local place to do it while you wait.

Call ahead to make sure bringing in the firearms receivers is okay (they prefer them with no furniture since it is harder to attach to the machine with the stock and buffer extension on).
View Quote

What does "Things Remembered" charge you?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I was actually wondering if "Things Remembered" did this, because I currently have a lower I need to get engraved. Thats cool, ill give them a call. I was also wondering how much they charged.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:10:19 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:20:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What does "Things Remembered" charge you?
View Quote

It depends on how many letters and words you use - my last two were about $45 total for the two receivers after tax:

Minimum charge, one word, letter number or initial $6
Per word (two or more letters) $3
One letter word (I, A) $3
Number (1st, 2nd, 3rd 2012) $3
Initials (MJ, USAF) $3
Single initial w/o punctuation $3
Stand alone symbols (- & + % = @ ®) $3
Monogram $3

Any date
(May 2, 2012, 5/2/2012, May 2nd)

$3-$9
varies by format

Premium font $5
Designs $3-$12
Single line logo $6
Color Fill Gavoxide $6
Filled logo $9
Wedding logo $12
Maximum engraving charge per item no max

Tell them you want very deep engraving before they start and they will have the machine do a few extra passes.

I joined their preferred customer program and I have a $25 certificate to use on gifts or more engraving of gun stuff...  Magazines are the most commonly engraved firearm related items according to the girls working there.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:48:55 AM EDT
[#7]
This is great info! Thanks! Maybe i wont have to mail my lower now.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:35:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I had mine done by a local engraving shop for $15.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#9]
For you guys that got yours engraved at local shops or "Things Remembered" did you have any problems with the engravings not being to ATF specs?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Use ident.  They do great work.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For you guys that got yours engraved at local shops or "Things Remembered" did you have any problems with the engravings not being to ATF specs?
View Quote

You shouldn't have any problem. ATF specs state minimum of 1/16" tall and .003" deep. The height should be something any local shop can do, and that's not much depth at all. The extra passes as mention above should handle it just fine.

Personally, I used Ident for one and had the manufacturer handle my second one before the lower was anodized.

Just so you don't have to take my word on it, here's the regulation from the NFA Handbook:

Section 7.4 The identification of firearms.

7.4.1 Serial numbers. Each manufacturer of a firearm must legibly identify it by engraving, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing on the firearm’s frame or receiver an individual serial number not duplicating any serial number placed by the manufacturer on any other firearm.120 The requirement that the marking be “conspicuously” placed on the firearm means that the marking must be wholly unobstructed from plain view. For firearms manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch.

7.4.1.1 What is an acceptable serial number? Alpha characters (letters), for example a name, are not acceptable as a serial number. A proper serial number may contain such characters or letters, but it must have at least one numeric character (number). ATF takes the view that marking “legibly” means using exclusively Roman letters (A, B, C, and so forth) and Arabic numerals (1, 2, 3, and so forth).121 Deviations from this requirement have been found to seriously impair ATF’s ability to trace firearms involved in crime.

7.4.2 Additional information. Certain additional information must also be conspicuously placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel of the firearm by engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), that is, they must be placed in such a manner that they are wholly unobstructed from plain view. For firearms manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:

(1) The model, if such designation has been made;
(2) The caliber or gauge;
(3) The manufacturer’s name (or recognized abbreviation); and
(4) The city and State (or recognized abbreviation) where the manufacturer maintains its place of business.122

7.4.3 Measuring the depth of markings. The depth of all markings is measured from the flat surface of the metal and not the peaks or ridges. The height of serial numbers is measured as the distance between the latitudinal ends of the character impression bottoms (bases).
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You shouldn't have any problem. ATF specs state minimum of 1/16" tall and .003" deep.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You shouldn't have any problem. ATF specs state minimum of 1/16" tall and .003" deep.

That is for the SN. Most Form 1 folks do not have to do that.

Name/City/State is only .003, no height.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I would go with Ident or Orion Engraving. I have used both, but now use Ident exclusively due to being closer. Excellent work and good turn around times.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:22:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right. 7.4.2 shows the .003" minimum.

Although, you're probably not going to engrave much smaller than 1/16" and have it legible.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:59:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Arfcommer CS223 is a FL FFL that does class III transfers and engraving

he's up in the ocala gainsville area if i remember correctly

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:25:34 AM EDT
[#18]
I spoke with a local Jewler here yesterday that does engraving and told me they would do mine for 15$. Gonna give it a try. Ill post some pics once i get it back
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:12:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Arfcommer CS223 is a FL FFL that does class III transfers and engraving

he's up in the ocala gainsville area if i remember correctly

View Quote

Damn wish I knew that. He's transferring a can for me now and I just sent out two lowers to ident 2 days ago :-(
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Yet another vote for Things Remembered. My local mall's store got both of my SBR lowers done. Cost me around 20 bucks each. It was done while I waited (which I insisted on for obvious reasons)

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 9:24:17 PM EDT
[#21]
just do it yourself with an engraver.  Pactice on a piece of scrap until you are comfortable.  Use a silver pencil to layout.  Multiple passes until you have the depth you want.
Mine turned out fine, but I already had a dremel engraver for tools.
Its aluminum, not steel, so it engraves easily.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 1:56:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I had mine done by a local engraving shop for $15.
View Quote

Yep about the same for me, just bring them the ATF specs.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 5:08:54 AM EDT
[#23]
T.R. Did both of mine. Fast (walked around the mall) and cheap. Told them the depth I needed and she said no problem!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top