Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2012 1:50:44 PM EDT
Something has me concerned. I have a lower I sent a Form 1 off for. It is marked "Caliber-MULTI" as it was a stripped lower. I sent the Form-1 off for a 5.56 caliber barrel. Will I have to get 5.56 engraved somewhere on the lower as well?

Quoted:
ATF's NFA Handbook, 2009 edition, Section 7.4: The Identification of Firearms:

(snip)
7.4.2 Additional information. Certain additional information must also be conspicuously placed on
the frame, receiver, or barrel of the firearm by engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), that is, they
must be placed in such a manner that they are wholly unobstructed from plain view. For firearms
manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch.
The additional information includes:
(1) The model, if such designation has been made;
(2) The caliber or gauge;
(3) The manufacturer’s name (or recognized abbreviation); and
(4) The city and State (or recognized abbreviation) where the manufacturer maintains its place
of business.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#1]
LOL, this sounds like a newb question. I would like to know the answer too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope.  The caliber does need to be marked, but it does not have to be on the receiver.  This is true for title 1 weapons too.  Barrel marking is absolutely fine.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:02:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Nope.  The caliber does need to be marked, but it does not have to be on the receiver.  This is true for title 1 weapons too.  Barrel marking is absolutely fine.  

Yes, chances are the barrel you buy will have 5.56 already on it. Not to worry...
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

(snip)
7.4.2 Additional information. Certain additional information must also be conspicuously placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel of the firearm by engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), that is, they
must be placed in such a manner that they are wholly unobstructed from plain view. For firearms
manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch.
(4) The city and State (or recognized abbreviation) where the manufacturer maintains its place
of business.

Can't believe I missed that. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:38:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

(snip)
7.4.2 Additional information. Certain additional information must also be conspicuously placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel of the firearm by engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), that is, they
must be placed in such a manner that they are wholly unobstructed from plain view
. For firearms
of business.

Can't believe I missed that. Problem solved.

This got me thinking.... My markings are on the barrels too. But it is only an 8" barrel and the hand guard covers the markings. According to the part i highlighted this is not good....

Am i reading that wrong?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:16:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top