Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2012 1:21:25 PM EDT
My AR SBR has a 10.5" WOA SS barrel that functions just fine.  I've shot 42 rounds through it and am pleased.  My problem is that I am wanting to tinker with my SBR.  I was thinking of selling my 10.5" barrel and putting either a 11.5" or 12.5" barrel in its place.

My thinking is that I also have a Sig 556 SBR with a 10" barrel and would like something different.  I'm also thinking that since I have an ACOG on it, that a little more velocity might make sense to take more advantage of the optic.

Any suggestions?  I know that ultimately it's my decision and only I can decide, but would it be advantageous to go with a slightly longer barrel?
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 3:34:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you reload, and shoot with a chrony all day looking to get the very most out of your load data?

If not, and unless you are having some other issue that you think an extra inch or two will fix I say stay with what you have...  Buy more ammo and mags.. have more fun...

Sounds to me like you are already sold on it though...
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:19:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Do you reload, and shoot with a chrony all day looking to get the very most out of your load data?

If not, and unless you are having some other issue that you think an extra inch or two will fix I say stay with what you have...  Buy more ammo and mags.. have more fun...

Sounds to me like you are already sold on it though...

I don't reload and I'm honestly not concerned enough to bother with a chronograph.  I haven't had any issues.  You're right, though, I do feel sold on it already for the simple fact I have the itch to change things for the sake of changing.

Ammo may be a better option since it seems to be becoming more of a premium.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#3]
EDIT

I guess I am wrong in what I wrote

thanks for clearing this up for me

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:47:13 PM EDT
[#4]
That's definitely not the prevailing train of thought.  You do not have to keep your barrel or upper and you do not have to notify the ATF of anything.  Here is a recent thread and there are plenty more out there - http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_51/365543_Legal_Question__Barrel_Length_Mod_on_Factory_SBR__Form_4_.html
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's definitely not the prevailing train of thought.  You do not have to keep your barrel or upper and you do not have to notify the ATF of anything.  Here is a recent thread and there are plenty more out there - http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_51/365543_Legal_Question__Barrel_Length_Mod_on_Factory_SBR__Form_4_.html

This is true.  No need to keep that barrel or upper.  It can always be changed back.  

OP, unless you have a reason to change it then just leave it as is and spend money on ammo.  I went with an 11.5" and it runs great, but I wouldn't go to the trouble of rebarreling just to save or gain an inch.

CMS
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I went from 10.5" to 11.5" to make it easier on my can.

10.5"

11.5"
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 8:42:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Advantages?  Significant increase in dwell time, and some velocity gains, with minimal compromise in added length.

Downside?  Trouble and costs.

My questions is why?  Is the 10.5 you currently have not doing something you want or need it to do?  If not spend you money on ammo and training.

However, if it is just because you "want" to do so, then I have no answer.  Your money.  Your time.  Spend it when, where, and how you choose.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 5:06:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Save your money buy a press and start reloading
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top