Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2011 5:16:29 PM EDT
Ever since I purchased the Sub2000 several years ago, I saw it as a great suppressed folding SBR.  However I quickly found that the front sight was going to be the problem.  Of course we've all found that to be the case.  However after searching the web and every forum I could find on and off over the last few years, I've finally put together exactly what I envisioned from the get-go.  I hope my proof of concept helps out some others as well.

Breakdown is:
Keltec Glock 17 magazine Sub2000  -   I cut the grip down to accept Glock 19mags
Red Lion forend   -  the missing piece to my putting an optic to replace the front sight
Red Lion rail  -    I cut down the rail and machined a second screw hole to sturdy it up
Aimpoint R1  -   I'll get around to painting it black eventually.  Too good a deal to pass up over a T1
Gemtech Trinity  -  The newer Multimount is too large a diameter to fit under the Red Lion forend

I wanted a Sub2000 that would fold as far as it did from the factory, but had a "permanently" mounted suppressor on a cut down barrel and had a red dot sight that didn't have to be removed in order to fold it.

The barrel has been cut down to 6.5 inches and the over all length is roughly 25 inches fully extended.  The rubber thing on the end in the 5th photo is a silicon hot pad that I've used with success on other suppressors to cut down on the heat transmitted to my hands.

The other rifle in the 5th photo is my 9mm Olympic Arms K9GL that also takes Glock mags and also has a 6.5inch barrel for some comparison.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:20:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Well don't that kick a little ass!

Nice setup.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:33:05 PM EDT
[#2]
cool rig!
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#3]
that is pretty damn slick
now i might have to consider a sub2000

how does the rail twist?
1/4 or 1/2 intervals?
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#4]
The rail rotates 1/4 at a time
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The rail rotates 1/4 at a time

And locks up pretty tight at each 1/4 increment.  The notches are triangles so while it may not lock up 1moa tight.  It should be plenty tight for a little carbine.  I'm happy.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I was impressed with the way it felt.

It locked up tight and the tactile  feel was impressive.

The lock nut felt great in the hand.

The r1 needs a riser.

Link Posted: 12/31/2011 4:16:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Wry nice looking!  I've. Even a fan of the SUB2K's for awhile now. I tried to talk a manufacturing buddy into building me an integrally  suppressed version but he was too busy with other projects. I do have a 9mm that has been threaded for my incoming Isis. I've shot it some and It's very quiet. I pulled the front sight off and had my machinist surn it down so an AK front sight would slop on the barrel. It's about 1/8" lower so I need to drill a new rear sight hole but it seems to work ok.

That is a really slick set up you have. I think you'll see lots of folks acting upon your ideas there.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 4:18:08 AM EDT
[#8]
What is the ID of the rail or the OD of your can?
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 8:50:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What is the ID of the rail or the OD of your can?

The OD of the can is 1.25" and it just sleeves into the forend.  My micrometer's battery went dead so I don't have the ability right now to let you know how tight a fit it is anymore than that right now.  However you'd have a hard time fitting anything but a piece of paper between the two.

Here's a couple more without the insulation on the forend.

Link Posted: 12/31/2011 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Now that is sweet.  Coolest suppressed weapon I've seen in awhile.  I used to have a .40 sub 2000 - wouldn't have sold it if it was set up like that.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#12]
awesome. I would love to have my sub set up like that
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#13]
One other question; where did you engrave the info at?
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Used the original serial number and engraved name and location on the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Thats awsome!
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 10:28:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You could engrave it anywhere on the receiver.  Only the serial # is required to be engraved in metal.  Barrel works too.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Range report:

As with most new builds, I like to get the out to the range for a function test before lock-tightening everything down in place.  This forend has 10 little set screws to hold it on and steady.  Hand tightening them up only worked for about the first 100 rounds.  Then things started moving around a little bit.  Once I apply some lock-tight it should be no problem.  

I tested:
115gr Wolf FMJ
115gr Winchester WB FMJ
115gr Federal +P+ JHP
147gr Winchester Ranger JHP

All functioned flawlessly.  The Federal +P+ were quite snappy and noticeably louder than the rest.  As expected the 147gr subsonics were MUCH quieter.

Average group at 15 yards was roughly 2.5 inches.  That was about average from a standing, unsupported position using the Subs.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:03:13 PM EDT
[#18]
That is pretty nice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top