Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2011 10:32:50 PM EDT
Looked through the SBR FAQ thread, but it's focus is on more of the legal issues. All good stuff, but didn't see these two questions:

1. What are the pros and cons of a, say, 10" SBR AR-15 as compared to a more standard 16" AR-15?

My understanding is:

Pros
+ Shorter (obviously), and thus more maneuverable in CQC
+ Lighter weight

Cons:
- Louder and/or more concussive

What else?

2. Is 5.56 really a good caliber for an SBR? Seems like a lot of energy is lost and not transferred to the bullet (and instead transferred to the shooter as a concussive smack). How do the physics of this work? Is a heavier caliber fundamentally a "better" choice for a gun with a 10" barrel?

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:52:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
2. Is 5.56 really a good caliber for an SBR?

Not really.  In something like a 10.5" barrel, a tremendous amount of energy just goes into making a lot of muzzle blast and flash.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:18:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

+ Lighter weight

I don't know about that....somehow, most of my SBRs suffer from a severe case of bloat.

Quoted:

2. Is 5.56 really a good caliber for an SBR?

"Good" for what? Killing things at 300m? Yeah, something else would do a better job.
Having lots of fun at the range? It does a great job.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#3]
SBR’s are louder but I unusually shot with ear-pro (and/or suppressor) on so it is not that big of a difference over 16”.  Also, I’m usually not shooting over 300m with a 5.56.  The shorter barrels come in handy when you put a suppressor on the end.  16 – 20” plus a suppressor = LONG.

The 6.8 SPC performs well in an SBR.  I like this caliber when I want critters dead.  However, it does not see as much range time due to the expense of the ammo.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
SBR’s are louder but I unusually shot with ear-pro (and/or suppressor) on so it is not that big of a difference over 16”.  Also, I’m usually not shooting over 300m with a 5.56.  The shorter barrels come in handy when you put a suppressor on the end.  16 – 20” plus a suppressor = LONG.

How quiet can you get a 10" AR with a suppressor? Roughly as quiet as a 16" AR?

And I've heard that suppressors wear out faster on a rifle with a shorter barrel. What kind of life would one expect from a 10" AR vs. a 16" AR?

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:18:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How quiet can you get a 10" AR with a suppressor? Roughly as quiet as a 16" AR?

And I've heard that suppressors wear out faster on a rifle with a shorter barrel. What kind of life would one expect from a 10" AR vs. a 16" AR?

The 10” or more commonly 10.5” will be louder than the 16”.  Several suppressor companies only warranty barrels 10.5” or longer.  I personally like the 11.5”.  It gives a little bit more protection for the baffles and also gives a little more FPS to the rounds (12.5” is my favorite in 6.8).

I’m not sure about life span as I have not worn one out yet (only started into the NFA world a few years ago).  There are a lot of variables in play: type of metal in the can, ammo, breaks vs FH, firing schedule, etc.  

I put a lot of time worrying about life span when I was first searching for a multiple purpose can for my .308’s and 5.56.  I finally came to the realization that by the time I wear it out, suppressors are going to be so much better, that it will be time for another one anyway.  Suppressor technology seems to be changing pretty fast right now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#6]
a SBR in 5.56 is perfect, if you get and use 70gr TSX barnes bullets they should reliably expand out to 150yrds since they expand down to 1800FPS
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#7]
i have not shot my 16" ARs since i built my SBR.. and i cannot imagine shooting the 16" again unless my SBR breaks or something.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top