Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2021 7:05:53 PM EDT
I've been restoring an old LC Smith Ideal Grade.

Last thing was making & installing a new top lever spring.  Well made the spring and while reassembling everything, I was using a taper punch to align things and I guess I torqued on it too much and broke the tip off in a tiny screw hole.

I can't figure out how to get it out...
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Hope you have a magnifying glass, Dremel makes a bit that has a tiny round head on it, you may be able to drill the center out, that would be a good start.
I've only had to do it once and was lucky enough that the broken punch piece came out while I was doing it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 7:24:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Drill it and use an easy out or take it to a shop and have them do it.

Looks like it may be a good candidate for EDM removal.

Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM) is a controlled metal-removal process that is used to remove metal by means of electric spark erosion. In this process an electric spark is used as the cutting tool to cut (erode) the workpiece to produce the finished part to the desired shape.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Well pictures would help, and pin diameter as well. Just off the top of my head, is there any way you can drill in from the opposite side and drive out the pin from there?
Any chance of getting a replacement lever? Thinking if you can find one and get the buggered one out, that may be a solution.

Lastly call/email Doug Turnbull Restorations and see what he suggests.

And is this your gun, or a customers gun? Yours, and if you're going to keep it, not a huge deal. If it's a customer's gun, ask him about it. Its an internal part so not likely to be visible from the outside.

ETA: Well after seeing the pics put while I was posting, I see drilling isn't an option as you would likely be coming from the top of the lever

Machine shop, your own drill press, or EDM if you can find someone.

After seeing the picture, I would most likely set the part in a vise and using successively larger drill bits, gradually drill out the pin. Let me know what you end up doing please. In case I run into this my self some day

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#5]
After a few calls and some thinking, I drilled through the side with a #51 bit and poked it out with a hardened wire.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Sweet!  Good for you.

I'm glad it worked out.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 8:03:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Made the damn taper punch specifically for this installation, and then got impatient and used the wrong end to pry with.

The broken end I didn't temper back very far and it bit me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#9]
The ability to fix your own screw ups separates the men from the boys
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:21:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the follow up. Every time something like this happens, its a learning moment. Bet you'll temper the pin all the way next time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top