Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2021 11:34:29 PM EDT
If you wanted to make NFA items with your 07/02, for sale (suppressor) would you be subject to the $2250 per year ITAR registration fee?

If you are making NFA items for your own research with your 07/02, do those same fees still apply?

Appreciate the info!
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:23:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Not an sot but looked into becoming one a few years ago.... The rules clearly say itar registration is not required if the sot is performing "R&D work" and is not selling the items being manufactured.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 12:22:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks man.  I was kinda hoping that I could turn a bit of profit on a few suppressors, but I'd need to sell more than a few to even cover the itar tax. :(

Cheers!
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Ask in NFA General subforum. Pretty sure there was a recent rule change and you won't have to pay it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:52:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not an sot but looked into becoming one a few years ago.... The rules clearly say itar registration is not required if the sot is performing "R&D work" and is not selling the items being manufactured.
View Quote

ITAR no longer needed on small arms
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Do suppressors count as small arms though?  I suspect they don't, and that was where I was hoping to go with the business.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do suppressors count as small arms though?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Do suppressors count as small arms though?
They're considered Title II (NFA, non-sporting) firearms by BATFE.

Looks like they're still covered by ITAR and registration would be required for silencer manufacturers/exporters.

Suppressors remain on the United States Munitions List (USML) and continue to be classified for export purposes as Category I (e) defense articles. As such, suppressors remain subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
https://www.easyexport.net/firearm-export-sales/5-things-to-know-about-exporting-firearm-sound-suppressors-to-civilian-end-users/

For example, the following items will still be ITAR-controlled after the adoption of the amendments: Silencers, mufflers and sound suppressors;
https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/itar-firearms-amendments-six-important-42912/
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:25:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ask in NFA General subforum. Pretty sure there was a recent rule change and you won't have to pay it.
View Quote

Absolutely true.  “Manufacturing@ means something different fir ATF than DOD / DOS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top