Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2017 9:59:57 AM EDT
If you haven't seen these yet, Mark's concept started as $10 and 3 hours of time, make a gun in your garage with simple tools then trade it into one of the local gun buy back programs.  This is to prove many points, the buy backs don't get guns off the street, its a waste of public resources, they can't stop people from owning guns, and you CAN make a gun that works.  Even with simple tools.  The key is his very simple design.

So, I didn't buy his plans nor did I research how he did it anything beyond my head turning after seeing a video.  The result is a poorly planned, crudely executed version of Mark's design.  Unless you enjoy learning the hard way, I suggest buying his plans.  I think they're like $12.

Yes I have a mill, I have a lathe, but I didn't use them.  The most expensive tool I used was a $100 drill press and that could have been done just as well with a hand drill.  The majority of the work was done with Harbor Freight right angle grinders, a hacksaw and files.  Hence the crude results.

Rough Cuts

Shaping up

Cleaning up the edges

Time to get to work

Just getting started

Roughing out the "Action"

Starting to get the idea

Beginning the trigger/trigger bar/sear

Trigger / sear a little better than roughed

Trimming the "Bolt"  Little trick to keep from rocking the file, don't hold the file.

Fitting the “Bolt” or center piece of the “slide”

Drilled the “Bolt” now to match it up to the slide slabs

Gutting the “Bolt” for springs

Guide pins for the springs, I have since eliminated one spring

Slide fitted

Need a recess for the rim

A little off center, but that’s how it goes with crude tooling sometimes…

Firing pin hole

Barrel block rough cut, I opted to use a solid block of 5/8" scrap I had laying around

Cutting slots for the “frame”.  I used a cut off wheel in the grinder to rough it, then a file to clean it up.

Slots done, time to drill it for the liner.  This is one of the mago components that keeps it from being some illegal weapon, ie zipgun

Soldered in a barrel liner

Some mounting holes

Threaded the barrel block

Still have to make some grips

Got some time applied to the grips

Rough cut

Might do some more shaping before final finishing

A different angle

I tried some oxo cold blue, had rubbed just to see how the junk steel will take the color.  It didn't come out well in the pictures, but the color while far from perfect was much better than I'd expected.  The plan, for now until it changes, is to sand blast, then bead blast, then hand rub more cold blue.  I've only ever cold blued small parts, some new some old, but always small.  I usually hit them with the heat gun or torch just until you can see the moisture escape, then start rubbing or if they are small enough, just drop em in.  I'll be interested to see how this comes out.
Cold bluing teaser.

Ha, I said "might".  Lots of grinding and filing.  Fixed the bottom barrel block to slide lines too.

Firing
GB22 My Knock-off of Mark Serbu's Design GB-22

Adding Mark's video to get your creative wheels turning.

Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Sweet plate steel pics.
Quoted:
If you haven't seen these yet, the concept started as a "for $10 and 3 hours of time, make a gun in your garage with simple tools then trade it into one of the local gun buy back programs"  This is to prove many points, the buy backs don't get guns off the street, its a waste of public resources, they can't stop people from owning guns, and you CAN make a gun that works.  Even with simple tools.  

So, I didn't buy his plans nor did I research how he did it anything beyond my head turning after seeing a video.  The result is a poorly planned, crudely executed version of Marks design.  

Yes I have a mill, I have a lathe, but I didn't use them.  The most expensive tool I used was a $100 drill press and that could have been done just as well with a hand drill.  The majority of the work was done with Harbor Freight right angle grinders, a hacksaw and files.  Hence the crude results.

Rough Cuts

Fitting the “Bolt” or center piece of the “slide”

Drilled the “Bolt” not to match it up to the slide slabs

Gutting the “Bolt” for springs

Guide pins for the springs

Slide fitted

Need a recess for the rim

A little off center, but that’s how it goes with crude tooling sometimes…

Firing pin hole

Barrel block rough cut

Cutting slots for the “frame”

Slots done, time to drill it

Soldered in a barrel liner

Some mounting holes

Threaded the barrel block

Firing

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:44:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice.  How did you rifle the bbl, or did you just use a stub from something else?  Went back & looked - you soldered in a bbl liner.

Here's what I put together Sunday night:

Attachment Attached File

Just chopped off the tail of an eBay AR trigger jig, everything bolts up.  Need to throw a .223" upper on it, see if I get ejection and bolt lockup.  AR57 upper, here we come!  
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice.  How did you rifle the bbl, or did you just use a stub from something else?  Went back & looked - you soldered in a bbl liner.

Here's what I put together Sunday night:

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84655/20170312-231308-164754.JPG

Just chopped off the tail of an eBay AR trigger jig, everything bolts up.  Need to throw a .223" upper on it, see if I get ejection and bolt lockup.  AR57 upper, here we come!  
View Quote
That's awesome
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 3:27:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, plenty of free cash available at buybacks

Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:57:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Nicely done! Building single shot pistols is a great way to practice skills and craftsmanship, and gun buybacks make a nice way to offload mistakes or earlier designs as your work evolves.

Personally I learned to work on stocks by making pipe shotguns (ala TM31-210) by carving and finishing stocks made from logs, 2x4s/2x6s and plywood.
Also got to test several such guns for longevity as useful firearms and improving on the designs. (as a fun note, a better trigger can be made by using a medieval crossbow "nut" style trigger to hold the striker back)

Sadly, the buybacks around here don't pay worth beans now days, you use to be able to make good money/gift cards off those things
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:06:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I really like homemade guns.  
Interesting build, using common hand tools just proves how "simple" it can be.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Starting another.   9mm stainless.  Eventually.

Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:26:55 PM EDT
[#9]
This thread reminded me I have a 12"x12" piece of 1/4" steel in my garage I purchased with the intent to build a few single shot handguns out of.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This thread reminded me I have a 12"x12" piece of 1/4" steel in my garage I purchased with the intent to build a few single shot handguns out of.
View Quote
When you start getting serious about it, let me know.  I have some stainless I could donate.

Link Posted: 4/7/2017 8:25:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I really like homemade guns.  
Interesting build, using common hand tools just proves how "simple" it can be.
View Quote
Obviously these aren't the coolest of the homemade gun designs.  But the the simplicity has a cool factor all of its own.  

I've toyed with several designs.  Each has their own appeal.  This one is the simplicity and cost.  It's still a lot more time than the end product warrants, but I've wasted more time on less.

Plenty more projects and ideas in the hopper.
But the wish list is long.  Like a gatling gun.  I'd love to make some dies and start cranking out WWII Liberators.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 8:57:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Awesome! I recently saw that video and have been considering some homemade gun designs. I've got a pretty well equipped shop to work in but I always seem to be too busy with other things! 

I'm also torn between a simple gun design like this or working on a black powder cannon of some sort. 
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

When you start getting serious about it, let me know.  I have some stainless I could donate.

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af357/ligaf2000/20170406_202254_zpseqtj2clv.jpg
View Quote
Thanks for the offer!

What other designs have you looked at?  I was planning on messing with the JACO stuff but instead of 22LR make them in straight walled rimmed pistol cartridges.  I really do want to make a Kirkit25....but probably in something a bit more powerful than 25ACP.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for the offer!

What other designs have you looked at?  I was planning on messing with the JACO stuff but instead of 22LR make them in straight walled rimmed pistol cartridges.  I really do want to make a Kirkit25....but probably in something a bit more powerful than 25ACP.
View Quote
I'd like some small Derringers.  Even pepper box style stuff like the brownie or double tap.  Probably a palm squeezer of some sort.  I'm sure at some point I'll make a copy of my NAA mini.  

In ohio, besides slugs, only certain pistol calibers are legal for deer hunting, so a 38/357 rolling block or Stevens favorite type single rifle is on the short list.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#15]
For those not keeping up with his builds post ARFcom, sixtysixdeuce built a GB22 in 380.

Link Posted: 4/7/2017 11:47:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, finally getting somewhere with the GB9mmss so I guess it's time to show some progress pics and start documenting the "build"

Chicken sharpie

Same initial rough cuts as the crude build.  Let's face it, fast is easy.  

Looks ugly here, again not much different than previous.  Just lining them up to get them "roughed" to shape.  And I mean roughed.

Really rough

Down to working just one.  Started with the grip.  I know I know, everyone hates Glock's finger grooves.  But they fit my hand perfectly and they are just a starting point.  I will adjust if need be later.

So one of my faults, self assessed, is lack of official documentation,  ever.  I'd rather just get into it.  I do the same in my professional capacities and it always works out.  

After getting the "action" laid out, I'm going to cut the trigger first.  Cutting the action all the way through wouldn't leave much clamping abilities and add a lot of flex.  My clamping methods left plenty to desired on the is one but stainless sucks and I can't take heavy cuts anyway.  

Getting close to having the trigger roughed out.

Trigger is almost cut.  As the trigger "flexes" it mostly drops down, so the space between the botTom of the trigger and the trigger guard is the over travel limit.  So I cut this as thin as possible with a hacksaw and a dremel as I don't have a 1/16 or 3/32 end mill.  

A little better look after completing the trigger milling.  The rest is hacksaw, dremel and file work.  Much like the crude build, but I ddint use the dremel on that one.  

Since I have the crude build torn down for clean up and final finishing, I took the opportunity to do a sided by side pic to highlight the differences in my v1.0 and 2.0, remember the lack of planning.  There were a few things I did with the first I didn't like so much.  The gap for the trigger spring was not supposed to be 3/8 wide, I had no idea how much I'd need to get the spring I needed so it was thinned and thinned and thinned down some more.  Having a better idea on the second I just slotted with a 1/8th end mill. I moved the "Beaver tail" a little lower.  I also changed the trigger guard.

X
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:10:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Nice, keep us posted.  I'm trudging through all the woodworking projects before kiddo #2 is born.  Might actually get my bandsaw frame built before the big day...if I'm lucky...
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Why does that look like a 22 blank? Yet possibly a hole in the can? It's hard to tell as it's never seen clearly but maybe for a frame or two. Did you put a .22 pellet in the barrel and then chamber a blank and fire it?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:34:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why does that look like a 22 blank? Yet possibly a hole in the can? It's hard to tell as it's never seen clearly but maybe for a frame or two. Did you put a .22 pellet in the barrel and then chamber a blank and fire it?
View Quote
In the video I fired a crimped 22 birdshot.  

I never fired a blank, but I've seen a few designs using buck shot and ball bearings in front of a nail gun charge.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Did Mark Serbu ever get a reply from the ATF to the letter he sent?
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#21]
OST.  I love threads like this...
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 5:25:55 PM EDT
[#22]
If anyone wants to try their hand at home-rifling a GB-22 barrel, here is a video about a DIY method using EDM:

Electro Discharge Machining (easier than it sounds).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ixwAVj9fCoA
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:59:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:  If anyone wants to try their hand at home-rifling a GB-22 barrel, here is a video about a DIY method using EDM:

Electro Discharge Machining (easier than it sounds).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ixwAVj9fCoA
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:24:10 PM EDT
[#24]
cool
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 3:53:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Mark Serbu's excellent video did not clearly show HOW he rifled the barrel on his prototype.

Anyone know?

And what about the plans for the "closed bolt model" ?? ETA?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:34:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Mark Serbu's excellent video did not clearly show HOW he rifled the barrel on his prototype.

Anyone know?

And what about the plans for the "closed bolt model" ?? ETA?
View Quote
Mark is in it to make money.  Because he is, he has all the licensing and business side to protect.  He wants to produce these, but all that takes ATF approvals.  And that takes time.   $12 a piece for plans is one thing, but $100 kits on an exponential scale is where he'll make coin with this design.  

The 9mm build I'm working on (back-burnered) will be closed bolt.  Even if I finish it before Mark releases his kits, I'll still buy one if it comes in at or under $100.  

I'm no engineer, but I can re-engineer everything!
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Here's a review from the SHOT show:

http://www.tacticalfanboy.com/2017/01/21/shot-show-17-serbu-firearms-gb-22/

Anyone know if the plans for the "closed bolt" version are available yet?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:09:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Need to 3D print an 80% version.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:48:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Hydro jet or laser cut would be good.  Jack Squat could certainly laser cut a weld together version.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:13:51 AM EDT
[#30]
If you have a dud we have a buy back coming up
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If you have a dud we have a buy back coming up
View Quote
make some fruity ghost lowers!!!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:08:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Finally did some cold bluing.  I didn't bother with the slide serrations, yet.  

Link Posted: 6/9/2017 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Finally did some cold bluing.  I didn't bother with the slide serrations, yet.  

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af357/ligaf2000/20170608_200609_zpsxauz0rkp.jpg
View Quote
That is beautiful work and true to Mark's original design.

Q. Do you think the design could be adapted to making the barrel and "bolt" out of regular Rebar or reinforcing bar used to reinforce concrete?
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:07:46 AM EDT
[#34]
I love this stuff
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Another rifling video: super simple and do-able with tools you already own:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D43ZeYu9dnM
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:  Another rifling video: super simple and do-able with tools you already own:

View Quote
Making a Rifled Barrel without Machine Tools (TIS081)
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#38]
@backbencher. Thanks for embedding this video for me!!

I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:  @backbencher. Thanks for embedding this video for me!!

I appreciate it.
View Quote
Quite welcome.  Gotta do something useful when someone gifts me a membership.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Damn photobucket.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:40:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Damn photobucket.  
View Quote
Yeah Ive abandoned my account there.   The ad bullshit was the last straw. 
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:49:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yeah Ive abandoned my account there.   The ad bullshit was the last straw. 
View Quote
I pay for an account and I still get "Pay for an account to remove ads" ad. I'm trying to find an alternative that I like, but at the same time I have almost 4,000 pics already on there, so it's even harder to switch.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:45:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Another rifling video: super simple and do-able with tools you already own:

View Quote
Holy cow, I had no idea this could be done at home.

Thanks

Txl
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:14:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Can it be done at home?  Yes.  Can it be done well enough to yield accuracy comparable to commercially available products? Probably not.  But in respect to the topic at hand, there are plenty of techniques for boring and rifling your own barrel.  With a little patience and effort, you can certainly make a 3-4" 9mm barrel that won't keyhole 90% of the time.  

I drew up some plans for a sine bar style rifling jig.  But with a pile of other projects, one with very little payoff doesnt make the top of the list.  Watch ebay and numrich for barrel blanks or cut offs.  $10 or less you can score enough to make 2 or 3 pistols.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Can it be done at home?  Yes.  Can it be done well enough to yield accuracy comparable to commercially available products? Probably not.  But in respect to the topic at hand, there are plenty of techniques for boring and rifling your own barrel.  With a little patience and effort, you can certainly make a 3-4" 9mm barrel that won't keyhole 90% of the time.  

I drew up some plans for a sine bar style rifling jig.  But with a pile of other projects, one with very little payoff doesnt make the top of the list.  Watch ebay and numrich for barrel blanks or cut offs.  $10 or less you can score enough to make 2 or 3 pistols.  
View Quote
An excellent point!

Also - I checked out Brownells for "22 LR Barrel liner"

they suggest "glueing" it in with their "Accra-glass" bedding compound (it's really just fiberglass resin).   You could use epoxy or simply "JB Weld."

It cost just $30 or so for about 3 feet of it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#46]
That is exactly what I used in this.  Redman liner.  I usually accraglas them in, but this one I soldered.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 5:51:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
That is exactly what I used in this.  Redman liner.  I usually accraglas them in, but this one I soldered.
View Quote
Sorry I should have acknowledged that.  Good solution to the rifling issue.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Finally starting to fix some links.  GD photobucket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top