Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2015 8:38:40 PM EDT
So I'm looking to polish the bore and chamber of my Mosin.
I saw on Midway there were some bullets you could load to fire and polish... but I'm not sure how I feel about loading 7.62x54R brass right now.

Anyone have a few tips? Maybe a youtube link? I did a quick search, but i must fail at searches. Everything I found was poor quality. Also, my polishing abilities are... well not good. I did Wax on a boat at work (USCG 41ft), a few years back and my BM2 fired me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:02:35 AM EDT
[#2]
It's in pretty decent condition. It has minor pitting, I just want to clean it up some. More of a make it nicer kind of thing. When I'm on my game it shoots nice, but its one of those... Maybe it can shoot better things.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:03:45 AM EDT
[#3]
http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/solvents-degreasers/bore-cleaning-paste/shooting-usa-jb-bore-cleaning-kit-prod60287.aspx
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:18:04 PM EDT
[#4]
As linked to above, Brownell's JB Bore Paste will thoroughly clean and lightly polish the bore.
They also sell JB Bore Bright, which is a slightly finer type that will bring up whatever shine the bore is capable of.

JB was first used by the Bench Rest shooter crowd to get a bore absolutely clean as possible without harming it.
It's easy to use, all you need is a good one-piece cleaning rod, either polished stainless steel or carbon fiber and some good cotton flannel patches.  Kroil is not a necessity, but will speed up cleaning of fouling.
Dewey is sort of the "standard" in rods.  Don't use a screw-together rod or aluminum or brass rods.

This is probably the safest way to clean and shine up a fouled or frosty bore with no risk of harming it.
Be aware that "removing" frost or light pitting from a gun barrel requires removing metal.  Enough metal that any accuracy is going to be gone for good.
The fire lapping kits can be good in some cases, but I've seen a few good barrels ruined by improper use trying to get a bore to shine.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:03:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As linked to above, Brownell's JB Bore Paste will thoroughly clean and lightly polish the bore.
They also sell JB Bore Bright, which is a slightly finer type that will bring up whatever shine the bore is capable of.

JB was first used by the Bench Rest shooter crowd to get a bore absolutely clean as possible without harming it.
It's easy to use, all you need is a good one-piece cleaning rod, either polished stainless steel or carbon fiber and some good cotton flannel patches.  Kroil is not a necessity, but will speed up cleaning of fouling.
Dewey is sort of the "standard" in rods.  Don't use a screw-together rod or aluminum or brass rods.

This is probably the safest way to clean and shine up a fouled or frosty bore with no risk of harming it.
Be aware that "removing" frost or light pitting from a gun barrel requires removing metal.  Enough metal that any accuracy is going to be gone for good.
The fire lapping kits can be good in some cases, but I've seen a few good barrels ruined by improper use trying to get a bore to shine.

View Quote

Perfect, thank you. I'll be going this route
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:39:58 PM EDT
[#6]
If you look at the Brownell's page on JB Bore Paste I think that have a video link that shows how to use it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top