Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2014 5:15:43 PM EDT
Is 7068 strong enough to make a barrel out of?  Obviously it won't hold rifling, so you'd need a steel liner.  I was thinking a 4140 or 4150 liner that's .325 around the bore and .476 around the chamber, so basically .05" thick.  Also a steel sleeve in the gas port to reduce erosion.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:46:18 PM EDT
[#2]
What is your goal?

Light weight with rigidity?  Heat dissipation?

Teludyne Industries has an interesting concept; they sleeve a lightweight steel barrel in an aluminum tube and fill it with a proprietary blend of epoxy and heat conducting materials, making a very lightweight, stiff, accurate barrel that rapidly dissipates heat.

Might be a simpler solution if that's what you are trying to accomplish.

Link to an article explaining it.

They do AR's

I have a nice piece of Aluminum 1" tubing and a spare 10/22 barrel on my bench, one of these days I intend to try to duplicate their system.......
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you know if this piece of stock is heat treated?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you know if this piece of stock is heat treated?  

T6511.

Quoted:
Do you have a piece of material on hand already, or is this something you found by searching on line?

I don't have any on hand, I'm not going to invest in something without doing research first.

Quoted:
Barrels get hot enough for the difference in the coefficient of thermal expansion for each piece is not negligible.  The aluminum will grow almost 50% greater than the steel liner.  If they are bonded together, then the bond line stress should be examined.

And this kills that idea entirely.  What about Titanium?  Specifically 6AL-4V.  I realize it would expensive, but would titanium's lower coefficient of thermal expansion be a problem?  Would the steel trying to expand further than the titanium cause the titanium to crack?

Quoted:
What is your goal?

Light weight with rigidity?  Heat dissipation?

Light weight

Quoted:
Teludyne Industries has an interesting concept; they sleeve a lightweight steel barrel in an aluminum tube and fill it with a proprietary blend of epoxy and heat conducting materials, making a very lightweight, stiff, accurate barrel that rapidly dissipates heat.

Might be a simpler solution if that's what you are trying to accomplish.

Link to an article explaining it.

They do AR's

I have a nice piece of Aluminum 1" tubing and a spare 10/22 barrel on my bench, one of these days I intend to try to duplicate their system.......

The Teludyne's are nice, but when ultimate lightweight is the goal, they just aren't quite there.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:17:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I wasn't recommending them so much as an examination of their process, which might be adapted to your needs. Something along the lines of machining a steel barrel to minimal safe dimensions and fitting it with a machined aluminum sleeve and filling the void with an epoxy mixture. a low-buck alternative to a carbon fiber wrapped barrel.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top