Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2014 10:06:15 AM EDT
I want to thread my 300 win mag for a brake, and want to see if i will have to pull every thing apart if I lap and mount the scope.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're doing the threading in a lathe, everything should come off.

If you're lapping the receiver, you need it out of the stock, bolt out, and the trigger assembly protected from being bumped or hit.
To protect the finish from accidental damage, tape is your friend.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#2]
What Manufacturer is it
There are smiths that will do it with the receiver attached, sans stock and trigger assembly. Depending on manufacturer

If your lapping the rings, the rifle will be fully assembled

ETA:
Do you mean, you want to lap the scope rings, but want to know if you'll have to pull it all apart to get the bbl threaded?
Scope will definitely have to be removed regardless of whether or no the smith will leave the receiver on.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:17:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool, thanks for the replies, yes I was talking about lapping the scope rings, so I guess I could always lap them and remove everything to have the barrel threaded.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Thread the barrel first, lap the rings after final assembly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top