Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2013 5:10:02 PM EDT
I got a Ruger MK iii 22/45 for cheap, because it was put together wrong, or something.

It looks correct, but obviously isnt.
No mag in, pull the bolt, it stays, but goes forward if i hit it forward, hammer falling.

try to take it  down, pull the lever on the backstrap, it only pulls out 1/2", then hard stop.

short of taking it to a gunsmith and waiting a couple months, any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Did it come with a manual? Field strip it and clean it. There is a certainp way the gun has to be held to get the main spring in position for the lever to work. You tube has videos if this very thing.

ETA: Video
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Carefully take it apart, review the parts. There are several videos on YouTube on how to take it apart and reassemble it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:13:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Carefully take it apart, review the parts. There are several videos on YouTube on how to take it apart and reassemble it.
View Quote

THIS.....learned to take mine apart on YouTube.  No amount of reading or looking at the manual helped with that friggin thing.  Not complicated ONCE you learn how to do it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 3:58:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Error in reassembley. The hammer strut did not seat correctly in the mainspring cup and the strut bottoms out about halfway through its travel. When you reassemble it make sure of 2 things:
A- the hammer is cocked.
B- tip the pistol muzzle upward about 45 degrees when you go to close the takedown lever, it will help guide the hammer strut into the mainspring cup correctly.

Pull the trigger while you are lifting the takedown lever, if the hammer is locked back it won't let the lever fully unlock. You may even have to hold the pistol upside down and muzzle down to let the hammer come forward and the strut come free of the lever.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:08:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like the hammer strut wasn't aligned correctly, when the mainspring was put back in.  

The hammer will need to be moved forward to get the mainspring undone.  

You will need top pull the trigger and hit the muzzle into a block of wood to use inertia to move the hammer.  This is the method that ruger will tell you to use, and a method that is mentioned on some of the trouble shooting sites out there.

They are definitely a little quirky, but once you do it a time or two its not a big deal.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:26:39 AM EDT
[#6]
there is no way to take it apart. the lever with the pin can NOT be rotated out of the grip far enough to pull the pin out of the frame, barrel, bolt.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:50:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Look at my above post, that is your problem right there.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:24:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look at my above post, that is your problem right there.
View Quote

thanks. I'll give it a shot when I get home.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys, the pulling the trigger while pullingthe lever worked. I heard something click, and it opened as it should.

I was sure to get it back together correctly.

Fucntion check good. I just had magazine disconnects.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 3:30:27 PM EDT
[#10]
You need to get the mkii bushing. Simple installation and gets rid of the stupid magazine disconnect. Makes taking the gun down and putting it back together much easier.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 3:37:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top