Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2013 7:35:35 AM EDT
I have been working on making a handy brush gun, 20" - 22" barrel, relocating the bolt, welding a scope base, and modifying the original wood stock, going to free float and bed the action, trigger job, and smoothing out the bolt and action, and a whole bunch of this and that to be done to this action to make it smooth and better...

for the $99 i paid for the thing, i have really grown to appreciate the project value, this cheap little rifle has been keeping me busy and for those that are looking to gain some experaince in home smithing,  i have to say the Mosin Nagant is probably the best way to go....!!!

paid $99.99 w/free shipping and $7.00 ffl transfer...  
$2.00 for a snap on 5/16 allen wrench for turn down bolt
$20.00 for a tactical bolt knob
and thats all So Far...
useing a Leupold base and rings that i already had (but i picked those up years ago on clearance and paid $10.00 a piece so another $20.00 there)

this has been a real low budget build so far and if the results come out good, it should serve its purpose well... the more i work on it the more i am starting to like these Mosin Nagants...   price point being the major factor in the ordeal...!!!

Anybody with me on this...   Share some pics and price list, i'd really like to compare and swap tips or tricks...

i will add pics to this thread latter...

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#1]
ya i would like to see the bolt knob.  the gun is just fun to shoot, cheap and scary accurate
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#2]
In for project pics.
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Mausers are way better project rifles, more parts, more calibers that will work, and a superior design, but continue having fun with your Nagant
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 11:41:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Mausers are way better project rifles, more parts, more calibers that will work, and a superior design, but continue having fun with your Nagant

i"m with with on the Muaser rig....   the best most accurate rifle i ever owned was a mauser custom build...   she was built on the Mark X action and had a 1" straight no taper bull barrel with deep flutes, chambered for the .308win...   the old beast,  with match ammo would shoot sub moa and with tuned hand loasds i could get her in the .1's to .2's on a good day at 100-300 yds...

i have a couple mauser actions on lay-A-Way with my gun smith that i plan to build up some match .308s in the future, However Dollar for Dollar... the Mosin Nagant has the ol Mauser action beat...

as far as availability goes... mosins are a dime a dozen, compared to ol Mausers are hareder to come by, ( For around a Hundred Dollars) damn near imposible to find these days...

most muasers are gonna run you closer to $300 and then to strip it and and rebarrel and so on and so forth hell its better to by a savage or remington out the box to get the same results...

to where a Mosin, you can find em with nice bores and the 7.62x54 is a good enough round for most aplications... considering you can get ammo from 52gr up to 210 grain projectiles...

that mosin is hard to beat, i can buy 2-3 mosin's for the price of that one mauser and have 3 projects going, (long range, sporter, and a scout) kepping the orignal barrels on there and just cutting and crowning it good to go...

dont get me wrong though... like i said i have a couple of Mausers that i plan to start on in the nest few months...

just think the mosin is probably the best project rifle "available" dollar for dollar i think its got them all beat...
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 5:38:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Years ago when Century Arms had the U-fixem M44 carbines, I got one that was missing some parts, missing the bayonet, and the forend part of the stock was severly broken.

Since I picked it up for a song, I replaced the missing parts, ground off the bayonet lug, refinished the metal, shortened and refinished the stock, and put on QD sling swivels and a recoil pad.

It may not look as pretty as a sporterized Mauser, but this was the gun I used to carry in my Jeep or when I was walking through the woods on my property.  Most importantly, I had fun doing the work on it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:.

It may not look as pretty as a sporterized Mauser, but this was the gun I used to carry in my Jeep or when I was walking through the woods on my property.  Most importantly, I had fun doing the work on it.

thats what i'm talking about...

the one i am working on now is just going to be a little beater... Or my Fugly Stick... but i sure enjoying doing all the work on her...  i'l try to have pics up soon or hell i might just go ahead and do a you tube video and then post a link here to it...!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'd normally agree, but their prices are catching up with new production rifles.

Link Posted: 1/7/2013 1:54:13 PM EDT
[#8]
This belongs to my best friend, but I did the paint job and the barrel cutting & crowning.

When he got it, it grouped 3 rds into about a foot and a half at 100yds. After cutting & crowning the barrel, it groups just a hair under 2 inches at 100. Nobody was more surprised than I was at this; I had pretty much written the gun off. The reason he wanted me to cut it so short (17 /1/2 inches) is because he digs muzzle flash, and since the gun's basically a range toy, I gave him what he asked for:

IMHO, the Mosin-Nagant is the clunkiest, crudest piece of iron ever designed to sling a bullet downrange, but damn if this rifle isn't fun as hell to shoot. It is a real crowd-pleaser at the range, too.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#9]
The best project rifles ever were the turkish mausers.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 12:12:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The best project rifles ever were the turkish mausers.

Had a M24/47 (Yugoslavian commi Kar98K), didn't do much more than change out the striker and main spring for a speed lock, a timney trigger later on, and swapped out the rear sight for a rail section. Made a fairly decent scout rifle, and the starting platform (the M24/47) only cost me $110 FTF. Personally I like the long eye-relief scout scope configuration because I could still use chargers with the rifle.

Definitely agree that the Mosins and Mausers make pretty darned good project rifles. Personally with the Mosin pictured above, I probably would have added a flash hider of some sort to tamp down the fireball, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 12:32:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

and a Stevens 200 will trump your Mauser.  with way more parts, lots of calibers, semi-quick change barrels, a multitude of stock options and and even better design. floating bolt head on Stevens/Savage gives it the option of swaping out to different case head sizes.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 12:34:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This belongs to my best friend, but I did the paint job and the barrel cutting & crowning.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8063/8253183630_d5f2cc7bf1_c.jpg
When he got it, it grouped 3 rds into about a foot and a half at 100yds. After cutting & crowning the barrel, it groups just a hair under 2 inches at 100. Nobody was more surprised than I was at this; I had pretty much written the gun off. The reason he wanted me to cut it so short (17 /1/2 inches) is because he digs muzzle flash, and since the gun's basically a range toy, I gave him what he asked for:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8349/8246192504_16887707d5_c.jpg

IMHO, the Mosin-Nagant is the clunkiest, crudest piece of iron ever designed to sling a bullet downrange, but damn if this rifle isn't fun as hell to shoot. It is a real crowd-pleaser at the range, too.

hahahaha.....way more than my comped 10mm Glock 20's muzzle flash. that picture makes me want one.
Link Posted: 1/27/2013 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I have had a Mosin/nagant project going for the better part of the last 15 years.  It was my first gun.  My dad picked it out of a barrel of bolt guns at the local pawn shop.  I refinished the stock and re-blued it years ago.  Could never get it to group with the stock irons or the scout scope set-up put on it.   However ive always wanted to drop the action/barrel into a nice boyd's stock with decent glass and shoot it.

-Jake
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 8:37:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a project planned for when I get moved in down in virginia. I'm going to rebarrel one in 45 Colt with a 20 inch barrel. Submit a Form 1 for a suppressor, and make it look similar to a Delisle. All I have to do is design an insert for the magazine that will keep the cartridges at the rear of the magazine. I tested the idea with my M44 and a 44 Magnum cartridge and it fed it just like it should, also extracted/ejected like it was made to do it. Should be a fun project and with a subsonic round should be pretty quiet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top