Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2012 7:54:53 PM EDT
I bought a big box full of an assortment of metal files. I had originally thought I would perhaps use them to make knives but when I got to looking at them I began to have second thoughts.

There are several different sizes, styles and cuts. Most have an over all coating of surface rust but most don't have pitting. I soaked a couple in WD40 and used a file card on them with mixed results.

My question is how do you clean rust off your files? Have you ever tried to restore old rusty ones?

I have used electrolysis on some metal items with good results before and am wondering if this would work well on the files? What does the hive say?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:57:22 PM EDT
[#1]
a quick coat of navel jelly worked on some old files i bought at a flea market,ymmv.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Brush them off and oil them up.
If they still cut any rust will be quickly worn off.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:52:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Your other thread on this topic is just below.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top