Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2010 8:46:03 AM EDT
How do people etch marking on their guns similar to this?

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#1]
In our case.. Hermes engraver.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:18:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Dedicated engraving equipment produces the best results typically.  I've engraved some pretty nice stuff with a CNC milling machine and a fine point engraving tool bit as well, it just takes more finish work because of the burr it pulls up.  The best results I got was to engrave prior to heat treat (if applicable), then when finish grinding on the surface grinder all the burr was cleaned up leaving nice sharp lines.  There are many fonts available for the different CAD/CAM programs out there.

There's also electrochemical etching, which is actual etching, a solution is used along with an electric device that as far as I understand excites the oxidation of the metal where it is applied, these setups use stencils and don't really create any depth, but it's inexpensive and capable of reasonable resolution on white metals.  I don't know how/if they work through bluing/coatings.

The last way I can think of and maybe capable of the best results for the more wild fonts or wide character lines, would be to use a sinker EDM with an electrode made specifically for your logo.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#3]
What Kuraki said.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Dedicated engraving equipment produces the best results typically.  I've engraved some pretty nice stuff with a CNC milling machine and a fine point engraving tool bit as well, it just takes more finish work because of the burr it pulls up.  The best results I got was to engrave prior to heat treat (if applicable), then when finish grinding on the surface grinder all the burr was cleaned up leaving nice sharp lines.  There are many fonts available for the different CAD/CAM programs out there.

There's also electrochemical etching, which is actual etching, a solution is used along with an electric device that as far as I understand excites the oxidation of the metal where it is applied, these setups use stencils and don't really create any depth, but it's inexpensive and capable of reasonable resolution on white metals.  I don't know how/if they work through bluing/coatings.

The last way I can think of and maybe capable of the best results for the more wild fonts or wide character lines, would be to use a sinker EDM with an electrode made specifically for your logo.

Nope a good etching set-up can go very deep up to.010" which exceeds ATF regs.  When I say a good set-up I'm not talking the Ebay crap set-up either.

The OP's pic is either CNC or engraved.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#5]
As Bubbles said, New Hermes Vanguard 3400.

Here it is in action on a set of valve covers for a ZZ502.

CNC engraving is usually the most dynamic and versatile.  We currently have several hundred various fonts and the CNC can do images and symbols pretty easily.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top