Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2010 12:43:21 PM EDT
I thought some of you guys would find this interesting. For a while iv wanted a mag extention for my 870 but im too much of a cheap bastard to buy one so i decided to make one On of my favorite hobbies/project in the lathe and mill is making different style brakes so i thought while i was at it i would brake the shotgun too (yes i know a brake on a 12 gauge does almost nothing but i couldnt resist ) Iv been working out the fine details on how the best way to do this is for quite a while and i have a lot of free time on my hands right now so i thought i would give it a try. My ultimate goal was i wanted a mag extension that worked BUT i wanted to be able to remove the barrel so that made it more challenging (which is where the brake comes in). I know some of you could probably have come up with a better way to do this but im young and fairly new to machining (and self taught) so this is the best i could come up with.

Anywho i started out by making the brake and fitting it to the barrel. The barrel use to be 24 or 28 inches but i cut it down to 18 and cut the rib off at the next one. I wont go into all the fine details cause im sure most of you can figure out exactly how i did it but i just drilled and tapped two holes on the bottom of the brake and drilled and countersunk two holes in the extension tube (everything is 6061 AL) where it will screw into the brake. I then bored out the factory barrel nut and turned down the extension tube to fit through the nut and butt up against the existing tube so the rounds and spring would make the transfer. The way i made it so the barrel is still removable is the extension tube is only held on by the two screws in the brake so the barrel nut is stuck between the tube and the barrel 'band' so the nut will spin freely but the extension will stay in place.

After everything was together i took it off the gun and just powder coated it (with textured powder coat)...it doesnt really blend in with the finish on the barrel but it still looks good.

So how'd i do?

ETA: I also F'ed up the orange plastic follower in the process so i made one out of aluminum..forgot to take pics thou

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:34:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I like it!
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 11:20:52 PM EDT
[#2]
nice!

makes me want to make a clamp on brake for my 03.   been having some issues with bruising no matter what i do.  i figure if i can come up with a brake that works well enough i can mitigate that. (yes, i know, recoil pad, ill try that too)
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:06:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks

I had a chance to take it out today and put a few boxes through it, the rounds make the transition to the extension just fine and cycle perfect and the brake actually does seem to help a little with the recoil
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice job....
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:45:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Excellent Job! Looks cool!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top