Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2010 5:20:45 PM EDT
from an earlier post i`m going to go cheap and buy a trigger screw to try and get a lighter pull on my ar. but why has no one ever made a parts set with a lighter pull in mind? if a gunsmith can take a set and do it( mine did one for me some time ago and he only charged me $50)  why can`t it be done on a mass scale in a factory? it wouldn`t have to be as good as a jerry m. drop-in gold trigger just something lighter than the normal 6-7lb if not more, of an off the shelf ar. is it that difficult to produce a trigger and disconnector with a little smoother pull without the high cost of some aftermarket drop-ins and 2stage sets? maybe this is a stupid question but i thought i would ask anyway.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#1]
No, that kind of work is still done by hand...takes a bit of skill, and careful hand work to do this "trigger pull smoothing and lightening" like Bill Springfield does, for example.

Technology is not at the point where machines can do it, at least not cost effectively.  It's just the way things are.

Gotta tell ya, the RRA 2-stage FCG is only around 120, and it IS a very sweet pull.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the JP triggers for a crisp, light single stage pull that looks stock from the outside.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I like the JP triggers for a crisp, light single stage pull that looks stock from the outside.

might have to go that way. but first i`m going to buy a trigger adj. screw from M&B precision for $20. maybe that little extra might be what i`m looking for. if not, i`ll probably go balls out( sure the wife will like it) and buy the jerry m. gold trigger.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 8:35:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I checked with the owner of the site I linked in the other thread.  He has registration limited to shooters that are interested in precision shooting and gun building.  That doesn't mean he won't let you join, but he's concerned about his bandwidth cost to noise ratio so he's picky.

I went down  to his shop Saturday afternoon to do our usual shooting of bull, talking about politics, and supervised while he chambered a barrel for .243 Win Improved.  The chamber has a mirror finish using his reamer flush set up.  He uses a Nardini Mascote 1440 lathe with a DRO.  His reamer holder is one he built built for himself, the holder floats on spring loaded screws.

This barrel will go onto a Lawton action with an ejection port on the LH side, and into a Manners stock.  I don't know which trigger will be installed, didn't think to ask.

I'm going to order 2 or 3 of the screws from Doc.  I just need to get to the Post Office.

hi, i believe this was the place i first posted this question. M&B precision was in this post. that is the place i ordered the screw. sent money, have not received it yet. was wondering where the rest of the address of this place was so i can communicate with them to see where the screw was at. it was in this thread but it got removed for some reason. any idea why? are you not to ask about a business in here?  need to get this address badly.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:20:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I guess that means the stoning didn't work out for you?

You can also look at the spring sets from Tubb or JP Rifles.  I've not used them but I've heard they are helpfull in getting a lighter pull.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:37:09 AM EDT
[#7]
yeah, the stoning worked out good. took a little too much off the engagement point of hammer and when i test fired it in the jig, upon release of trigger after firing, the hammer fell forward( not good!). tried again on another hammer and got it perfect. have about a 3lb pull with a nice clean break. also ordered the screw before i did the work. still want the screw but don`t know if he( dr. marker) got it yet or what is going on. did a little researching from the address i was given to m&b precision and it  belongs to a chiropractic office in fort myers fl. unless this guy is m&b precision on the side, i think i lost $20.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
yeah, the stoning worked out good. took a little too much off the engagement point of hammer and when i test fired it in the jig, upon release of trigger after firing, the hammer fell forward( not good!). tried again on another hammer and got it perfect. have about a 3lb pull with a nice clean break. also ordered the screw before i did the work. still want the screw but don`t know if he( dr. marker) got it yet or what is going on. did a little researching from the address i was given to m&b precision and it  belongs to a chiropractic office in fort myers fl. unless this guy is m&b precision on the side, i think i lost $20.

all is ok! just got email, its on its way.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:26:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I just read your other post where you first heard about this guy, I'm slow I guess.  

Are you planning on doing this to the same trigger that you stoned?  The cut I made on the top of the trigger/sear surface does a similar function by reducing the sear engagment, but the screw will have an added advantage of holding the trigger back slightly and removing some slop in the mechanism.

I'm really curious to see how you like this when it's done.  I odn't think I'm going to mess with mine any further, but it's always nice to learn.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:09:51 PM EDT
[#10]
was not planning on using the screw with the trigger i just stoned but you bring up an interesting point. i think now i will try it both ways when i get the screw. i`ll let you know how it goes when i do!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:55:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top